GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

Just checking in to say Hi. As some of you may remember, I frequented this board with "Chrome Molly", especially my friend Verdayne.

Anyway, I did sell it to a new member from this board Skatepoor, although it appears he hasn't started using the board much.

I wound up going to the "dark side". I must say for '07 Harley has done it right. A lot of nice little details in the bike.

Below are some picts. of the bike at it's current and almost final "chrome" stage.

What do you think?

Everyone have a happy new year and thanks again for all the great tips I got over the last two years.

Starman

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
I hope your happy with your ride, and the Starman knows how to take a photo

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey all:

Thanks....

The Harley does fit me better. The big thing that I have found about Harley's that I like are some of the details.

My favorite feature of the bike is what they call the "jiffy stand". I call it a kickstand. The stand is self locking when the bike is on its side and the bike can't go forward of back. This is great because I always worried about the wing and the side stand. The factory seat is head and shoulders above the wing. I may actually be able to live with the seat. The factory seat has a pre-cut hole for a drivers backrest. The backrest, at least the one I bought is cable operated via a lever and is infinitely adjustable. All chrome seems to be metal. Although this means fastening versus tape, it just has a better look. The accessories are cheap compared to Honda and Yamaha, the two I am familiar with.

The ride....The '07 gets the almost 1600cc engine and a six speed transmission. At idle you still have the familiar Harley shake. But at highway speed there is no vibration. The biggest difference between a wing and a Harley is the V twin is "old school" motorcycle sound and feel without the vibration, and the wing is much more sterile or car like.

Overall, never being a big Harley supporter in the past, I can only say that at least for '07, Harley has done it right by my opinion with 25 + years of riding bikes.

And one other thing, the people at the dealership are truly nice. They seem to know you by name and will help in many ways. I had to adjust something that required a Harley specific tool and they let me take it home and bring it back at my convenience. I feel less like a customer.

The weird part of the Harley experience is how people will wave to you on the bike. Personally it doesn't work for me. I mean I never got waves from car drivers when I rode any other bike. I guess this is the "mystique" of the bike.

But as so many have said before....It's not what you ride, rather that you ride.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Beautiful bike. I know they beefed up the power some on the 07. You satisified with the performance? How about buffeting at highway speeds (80-85) and do they have an intercom system?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joseph said:
Beautiful bike. I know they beefed up the power some on the 07. You satisified with the performance? How about buffeting at highway speeds (80-85) and do they have an intercom system?
Thanks,

The performance is that of a big V twin. It is not close to the six of the wing. However, for two up it is plenty. Again, it is an old school type engine versus a "car" type engine. The stability and lack of buffeting is as good if not better than the wing. The stereo also is head and shoulders above the '05 wing.

The Ultra Classic that I have has a CB and an intercom system built in. Although I have yet to use either.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
I question when you said accessories are less than Honda or Yamaha. I thought the Harley stuff was high. And how much $$$ do you have in the bike so far?

RIDE SAFE :D

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Starman,

Great looking bike. I am almost certain that someday if I live long enough I will own a Harley of some kind. I just can't help it, I still think they are the greatest looking bike out there.

Sorry, but I have to ask this. Do you suppose the wavers from the cagers are Harley owners whose bikes are broke down :?: TIC :lol:

I have noticed when I am on my Vulcan that some cage drivers wave at me too. Now from the front the Vulcan looks exactly like a Harley. That thought went through my mind at the time.

Ross

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5Ross said:
Starman,

Great looking bike. I am almost certain that someday if I live long enough I will own a Harley of some kind. I just can't help it, I still think they are the greatest looking bike out there.

Sorry, but I have to ask this. Do you suppose the wavers from the cagers are Harley owners whose bikes are broke down :?: TIC :lol:

I have noticed when I am on my Vulcan that some cage drivers wave at me too. Now from the front the Vulcan looks exactly like a Harley. That thought went through my mind at the time.

Ross
Hey Ross,

You might be right... on both counts :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
laen said:
I question when you said accessories are less than Honda or Yamaha. I thought the Harley stuff was high. And how much $$$ do you have in the bike so far?

RIDE SAFE :D
Hey Laen:

Harley accessories are not only cheap compared to the competition, they are well chromed and metal. It is the bikes that are expensive.

I bought the bike with 800 miles and a lot of chrome already on it.

Still it was not cheap.

G

·
Hey, speak of the Devil ! Jeff I have just been admiring your old ride in the old postings you made. That is one real sweet looking bike, still don't know how you could part with it . :shock:
Anyway nice to hear that you are enjoying the Harley , Black sure needs a lot of polishing compared to Silver I bet .

Take care, and make sure you keep checking in, it will be interesting to see how things develop in a year or so down the road. :)

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Hey Jeff, glad to see things are going well for you. Looks like you've been busy applying chrome, to Black Beauty. It's all I expected, & then some. Glad to hear you're enjoying the HD experience. I hope you'll always keep the shiny side up. How does the seat compare to the GL1800? Take care, keep in touch, & ride safe!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts