GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my Kumho RF CT mounted on my '05 1800. Noticed a bit of "stiffness" in low speed curves on the ride home. Required a bit more press in the turns otherwise a great ride over the Bridgestone MT previously on the rear. I choose the RF for better protection against blowouts. Question for you long time darksiders...what pressure/s are you running in the Kumho on the rear?

Kumho recommends the use of a TPMS with their RF tires so I installed the Doran TPMS to monitor tire pressure. The system gives an alert should the tire pressure drop 12% below the set pressure or identifies a rapid loss of pressure. Right off the bat the system identified a very slow leak in the Kumho on the rear.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I see you are new so welcome! Leak could be your valve stem. Are you running a solid steel valve stem or the OEM type, and did you have a new one installed? :congrats: on becoming a Darksider!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I kept mine at 41 psi, I like a bit stiffer ride. My wife doesn't like it much... she feels every bump in the road. I like to feel the road...

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've run 34 and like it.

Welcome to the Darkside!!!:p

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'm running 28-30psi on my Kuhmo RF. 32 seems like a good starting point for a RF though. That's where I started out at but I'm a bit on the light side, so I'm trying the lower pressure to see how it wears.

Just had my Kumho RF CT mounted on my '05 1800. Noticed a bit of "stiffness" in low speed curves on the ride home. Required a bit more press in the turns otherwise a great ride over the Bridgestone MT previously on the rear. I choose the RF for better protection against blowouts. Question for you long time darksiders...what pressure/s are you running in the Kumho on the rear?

Kumho recommends the use of a TPMS with their RF tires so I installed the Doran TPMS to monitor tire pressure. The system gives an alert should the tire pressure drop 12% below the set pressure or identifies a rapid loss of pressure. Right off the bat the system identified a very slow leak in the Kumho on the rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
succumbed to the dark side

All valve stems are solid metal. Found the leak to be along side of the rim.
Apparently the new tire bead had a pimple on it that caused the very slow air leak. We smoothed out the pimple and applied some bead sealer...checked and no more leak. As to pressure I'm currently at 40 psi. I carried 41 psi on the MT before going to the darkside.

Most of you replied 32 to 34 psi, thanks to all who replied. I think I'll drop to 36 and see how that rides for a few miles. The bike shop mechanic that found the leak and I both thought that 34 was a bit low for a big bike like my Wing. I noticed the manufacturer's recommended full load pressure for the Kumho to be 51 psi. I do recognize the load on the rear of my Wing is quit a bit less than that of a car, but the delta of 19 psi between 51 and 32 seems to be quite a bit.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
My Kumho rides great at 32 PSI one or two up, wearing good too.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
The only thing about the higher pressure is you will wear the center of the tread out first. But from the sound of it you have things under control trying different pressures to find what works best for you!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
2 kumhos 30-32psi makes them wear even for me. Lower,, edges wear out first.
Higher, center wears for me :thumbup: take what you want ,leave the rest !

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Same here....32 psi. After wearing out several Kumho ECSTA RFs at 32 psi I get even wear across the tread. I don't weigh much (150#) so not sure what a heavier load would be like. Good luck.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Welcome to the DARK SIDE:22yikes:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Same here....32 psi. After wearing out several Kumho ECSTA RFs at 32 psi I get even wear across the tread. I don't weigh much (150#) so not sure what a heavier load would be like. Good luck.
:agree:
I weigh 210 and I kept 32 in my Kuhmo, it wore out on the outer edges and at the middle all at the same time.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Running 30# on my Kumho...

:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts