GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '17 a year ago and needed a new rear. Been checking out several darksider posts and came to the conclusion that the Bridgestone DriveGuard would make a good first shot at going with a car tire. Just picked it up today and, ****, that thing is wide. My local Honda dealer will install the tire on the rim, but is there something I should know concerning getting that fat beast on the bike, i.e., clearance, etc?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming the 195/55 size, no real issues to be concerned with. Since this is your first, you may get the pleasure of learning the right approach in getting the tire into the wheel well. Have fun.
Yes it is the 195/55. Other than that, your post doesn't really help much. I am planning on laying the bike over and r&r from the bottom.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
relieving the pressure makes sense. If i have major difficulty, the bag might help too. Appreciate the info.
actually i leave air in tire n use the bag !!! Just needs a liitle help "slippery" and pops rite in !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE***

I went for it this morning, just finished up. A lot of good suggestions on here. I started to use the plastic bag trick but didn't find one I thought was adequate. Let all the air out of the tire. Sprayed the inside of the wheel well and the tire with soapy water where it was getting caught. Still stopped at the same point as before, but just a little bit of urging and it slipped right in.

Took it for a little spin, the first turn started a little squirrelly but a little input to the steering brought it up on edge and off we went. Did a few figure 8s with no problems. It actually felt like it rolled smoother too.

For you wingers out there, I have seen many posts and videos showing torquing the nuts after setting the bike back down. I had no problem torquing it with the wheel still in the air, just put it in reverse.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts