GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know who I am. I posted about trying to make my mind up on a Harley or Gold wing. Well I thought you might like to know this. I’ve been to a lot of bike rallies in the last three years. I show my BD in contest and other event’s. I think I’ve been to about 58 bike rallies now. If anyone knows the people in bike rallies or on forums it would be me.
I’ve noticed a different breed of people on this forum and on gold wings all together. Kinda like Higher class one would say.
I’ve been invited to biker parties and most were wife swapping or a drug trade. I’ve been to Harley poker runs and all it was was a drinking party. I joined some Harley clubs and it seem to be the cities daginerats . I’ve walked up to and talked to a lot of Gold wing owners and im here to tell you there a cut above and a lot nicer to talk to. They seem to have had a bath in the last three days also. You think im kidding don’t you ? Im not. To be honest I really think Gold Wing owners are a cut above. Higher class. Intelligent . Smart shoppers and a lot nicer to talk to and try to learn from. Just thought you might like to here that from someone who just met you guy’s a few weeks ago. And im a V twin man. Or was. Im so sick of V twins and always being in the shop. I payed a total of $45.000 for my customized BD chopper and im here to tell you right now. Sure it looks good and a lot of people make comment about it at stores I stop at. Oh yea it’s a ego boost. BUT THAT’S ALL IT IS ! You want to know the truth ? They can’t keep them together. They can’t run in the rain and the company can’t keep good relations with the stores to save there lives. In short there a pile of crap. I put mine up for sale and im looking sooooooo forward to my new BLACK GOLD WING. I will finely get to ride for more than 200 miles and not feel like dying or I can now lay down at night after riding and stop vibrating and my ears will finely stop ringing. I can’t wait to wave at all the Harley riders as I blast by them at 80mph. I do love to wave. Just to think of actually getting to the destination when mapquest says I can will be unreal. If your on A BD or Harley you can almost double the time and that’s no lie. Well that's my two cents.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the many fun miles you will have.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome for sure, I rode on the dark side for many years, some good bikes some bad, one test ride from a guy I worked with on his GW1200 was all it took. My motto is now 'Look back but dont stare' I wouldnt go back to v twin.
like lots of these folks say, enjoy all the s'miles'

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
G-Funk,

Welcome to the board, welcome to the group! :capwin:

First thing you should do is update your profile to show your location :shock: and maybe give us your name. :D

Our warmth, kindness and intelligence is not something you get from being with us, it is something that you bring with you. :D Welcome!

About that ear ringing thing. You will have to guard against that, :? we get it on the GW as well. :shock: The difference is that we get it from the wind noise. :lol:

Once again, Welcome! 8)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Welcome, man!
I've owned and rode many bikes and you know what? None was a perfect bike. Neither is the Wing... BUT ... it is the best motorcycle I have ever
had a chance to ride. The stigma of the 'old man's bike' is long gone.
And any of my riding buddies who disagree, immediately are sent a link to Yellow Wolf and Fuse' video. All they can say is "Holly ....!!!!!'
And I just ask them if they can do THAT on their R1 or 929, etc,.....

Thank you guys, you made me do it and I do not regret my choice for a moment.

I assure you that you will enjoy your Wing like you never did any other machine!

Good luck, Ride safe and ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I had to look up on google to see what a Big Dog looks like. Yours look like these? I could see how you would hurt after a short ride, let alone a long one. Good luck on selling yours and getting a Wing; that's going to be a major difference.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more. I've got riding buddies with those things and they never go anywhere. I'll run 3 hours down the road for a hotdog at the drop of a hat!

Scott

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
BigLaw said:
I couldn't agree with you more. I've got riding buddies with those things and they never go anywhere. I'll run 3 hours down the road for a hotdog at the drop of a hat! Scott
We have a great BBQ place 2 hours away we ride to often. The wife called the other day and said she saw a new resturant being built close to our house by the same folks - I said, that is no fun.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Welcome to the club. You definitely will not ever regret it. As for ego boosts, you'll still get 'em, people just love Wing's. Most of the time when I return to my parked Wing there will be someone either gawking or hanging around to ask me something about it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hay G-Funk, Now that your a member could you let us know who to contact in reguards to the wife swapping parties. LOL :lol:

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
First off, welcome....

I agree with you on what you have experienced and feel sorry for you, however I think it's somewhat of the type of bikes more than the brand..let me explain ( I hope)

I feel most Gold Wing owners/buyers go with the GW because it's a touring bike, and people that own tourers like to travel, usually wear textile clothing, armour, full/flip face helmets with headsets, pull a trailer, ride two up, have all kinds of GPS, MP3 electrical gadgets attached to the bike, etc....and this leads to them NOT being where you have been or doing what you stated, they're out touring....I also feel that some who ride the v-twin touring bikes fit into that category too....I love gadgets and trailers, flip face helmets, electric clothing, textile etc......

Now, that's not to say there is never a bad apple in any bunch, he may be on a v-twin tourer or a metric tourer ( not likely) but I'd say most of the "bad boys" you have experienced would most likely be riding some type of cruiser/chopper/ape hanger/loud pipe bike, not all, but most and not all the people riding cruisewr/chooper/ape hanger/loud bikes are bad people....

If you pull into a gas stop and see a touring bike with electric gadgets mounted everywhere, a full face/flip face/3/4 helmet sitting on the seat, headset cord hanging, trailer attached to bike, seat beads, out of state plates, he/she will be one of the nice ones, and one to talk to-no matter what the brand of bike.

just my observations/mine alone/not Hals or Lamont's/not any other members of this board/Mine Alone.. :p

(did that cover it?) :wink:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Welcome! and good choice.
I've ridden every type of bike, mostly sport/sport tourers and meet the nicest people on the wing. I'm 43 and wear full gear all the time so I may look "bad" on a sport/sport tourer but not on a wing. That may explain why perfect strangers approach me and talk to me all the time on the wing. You just can't beat the wing, nothing like it. All day comfortable and all day fun on any road. Add gas and oil once in a while, check the valves at 32k miles and just keep on going.

Steve

1 - 20 of 42 Posts