GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the only one to do things that make no sense, that is...

Case in point:

Some of you know that I went out and bought a new BMW R1200GS. I had one last year that I found a good deal on, and then sold it a few months later. Well, I've decided to give it another try... but that's not the real subject of this post.

This time, I picked the color scheme I wanted.. which was the special edition "Triple Black" theme. Blacked out frame, forks, engine case, wheels, etc...

Well, there weren't any "Triple Black" models close by... so I had to get it in VA. I completed all of the arrangements by email & phone with the dealer, sight unseen, as I was already familiar with the bike. Same bike as I had.. just different color and 2 years newer. (ok, a new dual overhead cam design head, but not germane to the subject)

Imagine my surprise when I drove down there, walked into the dealership, and saw the following:

Are you kidding me??? BMW put all kinds of marketing into this thing as the special edition Triple Black... and then installed WHITE COIL SPRINGS on it???

I'm just flabbergasted that BMW would do something like this without a reason. I know that my '09 model had black springs, so I had no reason to even suspect a problem like this.

Well, it wasn't a deal breaker... and I ended up bring the bike back to NY. But I swear, I don't understand why these guys do stuff like this. :shrug:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Good post! Nice Bike, even with that shiny white spring!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
That GS is so pretty, I promise you, no one will complain about the white spring. It adds a little contrast to it. That's a beauty.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Looks like a piece of junk. For a small fee I will come to your home and take that thing off your hands so you will never have to think of it again. No need to thank me. Just doing my part.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
:thumbup:Nice looking bike....you could rattle can it black :joke: ps, my bud wants a raptor bad..will have to share this post !!!

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
i think white springs are far superior to black :joke:

nice bike ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
I like the white shock spring also
Bike looks good in black

·
Registered
569 Posts
BEWARE!!
Its morphing from black to white. In a couple of months you will have a bike that is drained of all color.

·
Registered
657 Posts
At least you have a great truck...:congrats:.

Dennis

05 dtg KAF
07 dtg Dubai
08 dtg Home for good!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Man, you could get a speeding ticket standing still, with that bad-a$$ machine!

·
Registered
388 Posts
:coffee1: Be careful as many know the white spring is faster...years ago I put a white spring in my Kawasaki 440 snowmobile clutch and it was scary fast...just a word of warning

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I LIKE the white springs!:thumbup: Mine are Yellow....

·
Registered
334 Posts
You didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Grief! What the hell is this thing??? Does BMW really have the balls to call "THIS" a MOTORCYCLE??? What is that "Thingy" hanging out under the wind screen??? OMG, my eyes are burning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! Call 911!!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Are you kidding me??? BMW put all kinds of marketing into this thing as the special edition Triple Black... and then installed WHITE COIL SPRINGS on it???
Among the GS owners I know the color of the bike and/or individual bits isn't that much of a consideration, since you're supposed to go out and get it dirty anyway. :cool: Just stick some Ohlins' or Wilburs' on it and be done with it.

And get some panniers on that thing. Sheesh. ;)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Where you going to haul that chili if you get it back? LOL Charley

1 - 20 of 40 Posts