GL1800Riders Forums banner

Just want to thank the contributors, fantastic Forum

476 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  rfkurtz 
#1 ·
Just want to thank the contributors, fantastic Forum.

I recently had a ratcheting sound when in reverse. I was unable to stop the noise or stop the engine. I tried turning of key, tried using kill switch, nothing worked. Finally forced stall by putting in first gear, released clutch while brake was on and finally stalled. Tried to start again and battery was dead, totally dead. Checked with volt meter, only had two volts. Put on charger, took 3 days to charge.

Searched internet for solutions, no success. I could see the dollars disappearing. Finally remembered this site, did a search for "ratcheting sound in reverse." Did some reading and found a response with pictures. One suggestion was to spray a certain part with Tri-Flow, my thought was yeah sure. Went to shed got Tri-Flow, removed chrome panel on right side, pointed Tri-Flow towards area shown in picture and sprayed. Waited a couple of minutes, tried to start engine, engine started. While in neutral pushed reverse button "R" lit up pushed lever for reverse and backed up.

Again, want to thank those contributors that take the time to share their experiences on the solutions they have discovered. Their responses are greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
YA MOST OF US HAVE STAYED IN A HOLIDAY INN !! ;)

#4 ·
Interesting info here:: What is Tri-flow?? ( not at all trying to be funny here/cause I'll be looking to purchase a can myself) I've not had a problem as of yet, but "thinking" of spraying some on my Rev area as well, B4 I do have a problem..........

Ronnie

#7 ·
At every oil change I use TriFlow to lube the reverse mechanism under the right side engine cover and also the side stand and the center stand, TriFlow seems to last longer than any other spray lube I have ever used.

#11 ·
This site is great for a lot of reasons. and this is one of them. I would be nice if you can share exactly were you sprayed would be nice. The last couples of years this site has not been the same as passed years and info like this is helpful to all members.

#12 ·
I remember many years ago hearing this adage, "You can lead them to water but you can't make them drink!" As I read your post above it reminded me of that adage. I thought my post #10 was pretty explicit, let me try again. Click on the link in red letters, Scroll down to Discussion Starter #13 May 29, 2008 entered by Digger. Read discussion and look at pictures. The area to be lubricated is between neutral and reverse cables where the go into engine, look at first labeled picture, spray spring looking thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.