GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Toyo Proxes 195/55/60 and rode about 50 miles at speeds up to 70. The bike is very steady, no problems in tight curves, has a 4 mph fast speedo error, (I had about a 3.5 error prior to the CT) and to me the biggest change, absolutely no front wheel wobble. I decelerated w/ no hands on the bars or throttle from 60mph to 30mph several times and had not a hint of a wobble. Folks, if you haven't tried the CT don't knock it. I will advise as mileage builds.
Buck

G

·
0 Posts
Did you have any problems getting the CT mounted? Did you have a tire shop mount the CT for you?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hope to hear from you many times as this plays out.

I ride pretty hard through corners in NW Arkansas and I am still afraid to risk car tires in the tight corners.

I may try the car tires this spring if you still like them after your trial period.

Thank you and good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am also very curious about this. Here if you go to a car tire place they will not mount on a motorcycle wheel. If you go to a motorcycle place they will not mount a car tire. All that liability BS you know. :roll: So i assume that you must mount this tire yourself?

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've had a TOYO on my wing for a couple of months now and love it EXCEPT in the tight curves I have to lean in to. I swear I've felt the back end move and that causes a tight pucker! Other than that it's all good. I'm definately not as confident of aggressive in the twisties at speed. Just my 2 cents. :roll:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Bash said:
I've had a TOYO on my wing for a couple of months now and love it EXCEPT in the tight curves I have to lean in to. I swear I've felt the back end move and that causes a tight pucker! Other than that it's all good. I'm definately not as confident of aggressive in the twisties at speed. Just my 2 cents. :roll:
What pressure are you running in that TOYO?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Good luck...Keep us posted

When my rear wears out I'm probably going with the Dunlop Run Flat. Can't find anyone with a CT to satisfy my curiousity.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Great. I have been running a TOYO Proxis4 195/55/16 for about 10,000 miles now and will not use any other tire on back of my '04 Gl1800. You will notice quite a difference on a long trip in ride and stability. Especially if you pull a trailer.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In an attempt to answer as many questions in a short space:
1-Scootworks in Zebulon, NC, a small town east of Raleigh, did the install, went on w/ no problem, the tire was deflated after spin balancing; the inner fender piece on the upper left did not have to be retied as the battery wiring was not bundled up
2- am running 38psi as I ride solo 99.9% of the time
3-I am not a very aggressive rider so I can not comment on that type of riding
4-one of the best features is that the Toyo Prozes is not a "run flat" therefore the sidewalls are flexible and give a very smooth ride, to those who want a "run flat" tire you may want to reconsider if quality of the ride is important
5-tire was purchased from Tires4Less and cost about $95 plus about $13 for shipping and was received 2 days after ordering
6-front end wobble was totally eliminated, am now running a "Stone" up front, did have an E3
7-finally, to each their own, I am very pleased and that is what matters in my little world

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Vetteman said:
Pay attention to this guys. If someone who truly rides this bike to it's limits mounts a car tire on it, they are going to end up getting hurt. Mark my words.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Fred H. said:
Vetteman said:
Pay attention to this guys. If someone who truly rides this bike to it's limits mounts a car tire on it, they are going to end up getting hurt. Mark my words.
Exactly right Fred, thats why I never ever would!!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Fred H. said:
Vetteman said:
I am marking your words..And I know you don't mean any harm in it....Some riders don't ride aggressively,so I can see why a CT would be good for them....Some people prefer straight open roads over twisties....Buck seems to know how to ride and I am pretty sure that he knows his limits as well as his bike's limits. Also,if he ever has a problem due to a CT on his Gw,I will betcha that he yanks it off. Now on the other hand, I am a semi aggressive rider, I love leaning and turning hard but doing so at a safe speed. I have seen car tire videos and they do seem to have less tread grooves on the road when they are leaning in turns. For this reason,I will always keep a Motorcycle tire on m GW.....I am not against Car tires on bikes. It is someone's personal choice......Buck..Keep us informed how it works out for you..and ride safe...... signed:always on motorcycle tires...Henry

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
When Hal starts selling CTs I may consider it, but to each their own as long as they are happy.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Fred H. said:
Vetteman said:
As have hundreds of very good riders who have never even considered a car tire. Didn't you mention getting hurt yourself? Anytime anyone ignores their or their equipments limitations they are in danger of getting hurt.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hmmmm.
Better comfort and longevity at the expense of performance and safety.

You could also mount higher profile, narrower, & harder compound tires on your 'Vette for those same reasons and save a buck.

Paul, don't be a knob and do it.
What'er lookin' to do? Ride only interstates?
It'll really bring us down when we have to look for you in the weeds off the Cherohala; at least we'll be able to see you if you wear your lime-green jacket.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
It'll really bring us down when we have to look for you in the weeds off the Cherohala; at least we'll be able to see you if you wear your lime-green jacket.
:shock: :shock: YIKES!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I hope the car tire thing works out great for the Darksiders. As the saying goes: Even a turtle doesn't make progress until he sticks his neck out.

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
The debate goes on. Be carefull.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Vetteman..I had a regular radial C/T on my bike for 1500 miles and loved it.
I then chromed my wheels,and tossed the E3 back on to use it up..I couldn't stand it's singing,and took it up a notch,and ordered a Pirelli euforo R/F..
Best thing I ever did..this tire has a rounder profile.

I am an aggressive rider and love this tire over the round tire.

Bill..I'm sorry Sir,But my decision isn't about saving a few pennies..
I own four bikes and four cages.Cheap this darksider is not.

I'm a Big boy and can decide for myself,just like any of you other Big boys what is best for me,you just like me are free to make up your own minds and do what's best for you.

I would never try and talk anyone into running a C/T..
preference over color,style of seats,over which accessories to add,what type of oil we prefer are personal choices.

Opinions are fine,But please be gentlemen about it!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I guess I'm missing something here... why would you want to mount a CT to your bike? Is that cheaper than a Motorcycle tire? Or is it a ride quality issue? Not slamming anyone, just don't see the benifit- educate me please! :D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 107 Posts