GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
OK, I'll bite, what do I need these for?

Reactions: cycledude

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I'll bite, what do I need these for?

To replace the ones you've lost. For some strange reason, the 10mm socket seems to be a very elusive animal, and is so shy it will many times hide when you come into the workshop.

·
Registered
470 Posts
To replace the ones you've lost. For some strange reason, the 10mm socket seems to be a very elusive animal, and is so shy it will many times hide when you come into the workshop.
Ha, ha! So true! I have the same problem with my allen key sockets. The one I need never seems to be on the stick that holds them!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I concur substantially. Been there done that, more than a few times.
Scott

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have the first set of metric sockets that I bought in 1966. They are Power Craft bought at Montgomery Ward. The only one I have replaced is the 10m. It could be maybe the third or fourth replacement.

Reactions: rob.lafady

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
OMG! just yesterday I was working on my bike, tightening everything down before taking "her" out of hibernation period.... and guess what? WHERE THE HEL* DID MY 10MM SOCKET GO??
I had to go purchase another... Too funny!
Thanks I needed a good laugh after yesterdays episode!

·
Registered
163 Posts
That said one of our automotive trade magazines had a short blurb afew years back, about the most purchased tool on the all tool trucks. It was the 10mm socket short mid-length, deep and in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive. Normal and magnetic. Chrome and impact. As I have over 150K in tools I know about that elusive 10mm. I might have bought quite a few of them myself, just saying.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the first set of metric sockets that I bought in 1966. They are Power Craft bought at Montgomery Ward. The only one I have replaced is the 10m. It could be maybe the third or fourth replacement.
Oh wow. I still use most of my Power Craft tools from when I purchased in 1975. When Wards ran out of ratchet wrench repair kits they replaced all my ratchets with Snap-On. And as I turn wrenches for a living and teach new techs also, They look at my Power Craft and say those are some heavy duty wrenches. And in almost 40 years I have only broken 1 wrench other than ratchets. A 1 1/8 wrench box end which was replaced by Wards (with a Snap-On) just before they closed their doors. :thumbup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Way back about 1970, I bought a set of wrenches from a local auto parts store.
They are branded "Tatools", made in India.
Still have all of 'em and use 'em regularly. Haven't been able to break 'em.
Never saw another tool with that name since.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That said one of our automotive trade magazines had a short blurb afew years back, about the most purchased tool on the all tool trucks. It was the 10mm socket short mid-length, deep and in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive. Normal and magnetic. Chrome and impact. As I have over 150K in tools I know about that elusive 10mm. I might have bought quite a few of them myself, just saying.
Am I to understand, by the highlighted section above, you have OVER $150,000.00 IN TOOLS?
Scott

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Ok, I do have a lot of 10mm wrenches (combination, gear head, and socket). I use them a lot, but very seldom reach for a 3/8 drive 10mm socket. Why would I? Way too easy to snap off a bolt with one. Honestly, I probably use them more on a 1/4 drive screwdriver handle, maybe breaking a tight bolt free with the ratchet.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I lost a 10mm socket at Tom Finch’s shop while building trailers. About 2 years later, one of Tom’s friends, Stewart Windler, saw the glimmer of a reflection from under a shelving unit. He found my socket and Tom remembered that I lost it years ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts