GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not understand, maybe you can help me to understand. I have a 2003 Goldwing and I do not understand why someone would buy a new 2012 Goldwing when Honda using the same Engine, etc.....

I would wait until Honda up-graded the Wing with a bigger engine, 6 speed Transmission, Electrical Windshield, better paint better Headlights, better everything than just a few things added or improved. But you buy this new Wing and it still has a wobble, this is not right.

Is it just look I got the first 2012 on this board, look at me, I just don't get it. :eek:4:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I do not understand, maybe you can help me to understand. I have a 2003 Goldwing and I do not understand why someone would buy a new 2012 Goldwing when Honda using the same Engine, etc.....

I would wait until Honda up-graded the Wing with a bigger engine, 6 speed Transmission, Electrical Windshield, better paint better Headlights, better everything than just a few things added or improved. But you buy this new Wing and it still has a wobble, this is not right.

Is it just look I got the first 2012 on this board, look at me, I just don't get it. :eek:4:
If you don't understand, be happy with the bike you drive. Nothing is impeding your enjoyment of what you're riding.

The 2012 appeals to a lot of folks for whatever reason THEY choose. If it doesn't make sense to you, so be it. Keep riding what you're riding.

When you decide your bike no longer makes you happy choose the replacement YOU want and be happy with that.

Jeezus. Must be grammar school again.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wanted to upgrade while my 02 was still worth some $. Got good trade in for it.

Rode a 10 and knew I would do traxxion upgrade and different seat.
Not planning on either one for the 12.

Plus I like the looks of the 12.
Lots of opinions Ride what you like.

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you don't understand then you have every right to not buy one. No one is making you.

I've seen a number of people who've owned an 02 and purchased an 07. Why? Because they wanted to. I don't need to question their decision. Maybe it isn't what I would do, but that's OK. If we all did the same thing the world wuld be a very boring place.

Many on this board would also not understand any reason to purchase a bike of another brand or make, yet some do. It's OK. People make their own decisions.

Jason

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wanted to upgrade while my 02 was still worth some $. Got good trade in for it.

Rode a 10 and knew I would do traxxion upgrade and different seat.
Not planning on either one for the 12.

Plus I like the looks of the 12.
Lots of opinions Ride what you like.
So when you upgrade you have to buy a new bike...more money....

You could Buy a second or third bike if the same year and you have parts for life for one tenth the cost of buying and insuring a new bike. I have about two thirds of a Wing in long term storage( my own, no cost ). Looking for a good red 03A for the tupperware.

Does my wif think I'm crazy? Yes but she loves me anyway.....:shrug:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe Honda is taking after another major motorcycle manufacturer... :joke:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I myself like to have a new every year but I was told maybe 2013 well be a 6 speed then Ill will get a new one
Based on Honda's past actions don't expect a 'new' Wing until 2015 or 2020. The tsunami and world economy may change old patterns.

I always wonder though....what's really all that wrong with the current 1800. More power than you can use..if you do the math you'll see that a sixth speed is unnecessary..all in all a super reliable bike.

I'm keeping mine, thanks.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Radiators, frame revisions, sound system (has changed twice), comfort changes (foot vent, heated grips and seat), navi (if you like it), airbag, mps player connectivity, revised seat, all new parts in front suspension, more storage capacity, .....
(some happened in '06 and some in '12)

·
Registered
5,259 Posts

Maybe some of us want a new ride before Honda makes changes we don't want.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Radiators, frame revisions, sound system (has changed twice), comfort changes (foot vent, heated grips and seat), navi (if you like it), airbag, mps player connectivity, revised seat, all new parts in front suspension, more storage capacity, .....
(some happened in '06 and some in '12)
I have not installed an air bag but I have upgraded the parts I feel I needed to. Suspension was the biggest improvent. New speaker and an amp are fun. Added my own GPS and XM for a tiny fraction of the Honda cost. Yack on the iPhone via bluetooth. Play my iPod via the CD player. Cleaned up the cooling system, never a real problem. Added a pak rak...way more room than 2012. Plus all the goodies...far, far less than a bike. Plus I know the beast.

·
Registered
625 Posts
New Bike

I am waiting to see if the make a 40th anniversary edition in '15 like they made for my '05. If not I am going to look real hard at Victory. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts

> I have a 1990 Goldwing, and I do not understand why someone would buy a 2003!

·
Administrator
3,587 Posts
I'm happy with my '06, and it is just now getting broken in the way I like it. However, if I wanted a new one just because, I'd buy one and not worry about what someone else thought about it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
_

I bought. 2003 Wing it's was my first Wing

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I was at the dealer a few days ago talking to them about the 2010's and 2012's. I would like to have the ABS brakes but not all of the other aminities that come with that option. I prefer to have my own GPS and my Butt is not so small that I need heated a seat. I have already installed heated grips so I don't need those. My next preference would be to have the Traxion suspension upgrades, which would be a lot cheaper than a new bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts