Discussion Starter #1
How many af you up here in Iowa have either a factory

nav. or a after market gps on thier wing and

was it worth the purchase :?:

·
Registered
161 Posts
aftermarket GPS

Mine goes by the name of Pat.....had her for 33 years.....biggest upgrade for Pat has been reading glasses and new Rand McNally. Think I'll keep her.:thumbup:

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I have the factory nav, a pda nav, and my wife carries a Garmin nav.

Many old map-readers see no advantage to a nav and that's fine with me.
Some aftermarket users have nothing good to say about the factory nav and that’s fine with me also. Personally, of the three, I like the nav on the bike the best.

My wife and I are leaving on a 15-day 4500-mile trip this Friday and I am taking no maps, no itinerary except we want to be in Key West halfway through the trip. I am stopping at the state’s welcome centers for discount coupons and finding motels when we get tired. We’ll eat when we get hungry. This would be really tough to do without a nav and the database in it.

I think a nav is worth it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My wife dubbed her Ramona! Because of her voice. Its a Garmen portable. My kids got it for me 3 years ago and I can put in the motor home, car and now I have adapted it quite nicely to fit just in front of the speedo since it reads the MPH accurately anyway. I find myself leaving it on the Wing most of the time. I wired a plug in the left fairing pocket and if I want to hear her I can plug earphones into her. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have factory nav on my 06. I really like it. I don't overuse it on the road just kind of fly by the seat of my pants. I'm not into plotting my route.

I really like it when it is time to stop for the night. I just search the nearest motel and head for it. It also shows the phone number of the motel if I need to call ahead. Works for gas, beer, food etc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have the factory Nav., but also have a Lowrance 600C. I used to use the 600C on my previous Wing, but I've gotten to where I like the OEM now and I only use the 600C in my car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey Jimmie D,
I have a 2005 with no built in Nav. Although I think overall I would have liked the built in one. (Don't even know if it was available on the 2005.) I use a Garmin Zumo 450. And I absolutely love it. I didn't spend the additional money on the 550 because I wasn't going to use Bluetooth or XM Radio and I didn't care about the text to speech feature. Although, at times the announcement of street names might have been nice.
As far as I'm concerned, buying a GPS for your cycle if you don't have the factory Nav is very worthwhile. I just don't know if spending the additional money on the Zumo was worth it. If I had to do it over again, I would probably buy a much less expensive unit. But I don't want to go anywhere without a GPS. JMHO

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm taking my new GL1800 in for 600 mile service Friday. I will have the 12 volt outlet installed in the left pocket. I have ordered a Ram mount for my Garmin GPS, and will mount it as soon as I receive it. I guess the only thing I will have to do is cover it with a plastic freezer bag when it rains.
I have loved having the GPS in the car, and know it will be great on the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts