GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you guys...............I only got 14K out of it the same as the 709 Bridgestone on the front. I ran 34# on the pirelli, and it wore out in the center, with lots of treads left on the sides. I ride mostly single, but I am wondering should I go down to 31 or 32 on the next one or will that make it too soft? I bought a wheel with a Avon Venon last winter and have it on the bike now. I didn't have any problem making the transition to the car tire, but going back to a MC tire, there is definetly a difference. Plan on putting another Pirelli on in the spring, before the next long ride.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Try running this one at 28 psi. Works great for one up. I ran my first 3 Pirelli's that way. By far the best wear. I always run the edges off first, so I decided to bump the psi up to 30, then 32. Thought is, trying to have the sides and center wear out at the same time. Works well, but my mileage went from 10 to 8,000 miles. Try different psi's and see.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I got over 21,000 miles and I ride some curves every chance I get. I kept mine between 28 PSI - 30PSI. I have the michelin now and I am more impressed with it so far that anything Ive tried.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
jbosey, in your sig line you say you are on your 5th CT. Would you tell us the other brands/tire types you have tried and what you thought of them? Thanks.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
jbosey, in your sig line you say you are on your 5th CT. Would you tell us the other brands/tire types you have tried and what you thought of them? Thanks.
Inquiring minds want to know!:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'm with Murgie. I'd go for 28-30psi especially single up. At 32psi, I wore the center out of the Pirelli [email protected] RF after ~13k.

Question for you guys...............I only got 14K out of it the same as the 709 Bridgestone on the front. I ran 34# on the pirelli, and it wore out in the center, with lots of treads left on the sides. I ride mostly single, but I am wondering should I go down to 31 or 32 on the next one or will that make it too soft? I bought a wheel with a Avon Venon last winter and have it on the bike now. I didn't have any problem making the transition to the car tire, but going back to a MC tire, there is definetly a difference. Plan on putting another Pirelli on in the spring, before the next long ride.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The best way to make sure you are at the correct pressure is to air the tire and sit on the bike, roll it forward over wet pavement to dry and look at the imprint on the ground. If you see primarily center let some air out. If you see primarily edges add air. When you see a full imprint you are at the correct pressure. My guess is its around 29#. 32#s is close to what they are run at on a car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew that air pressure was the problem, just wanted to hear from someone that is running the lower pressure. For some reason I thought I read 32psi to keep the back end from getting mushy. I think I'm going to check out the Michelin, next time around. Appreciate the input.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I knew that air pressure was the problem, just wanted to hear from someone that is running the lower pressure. For some reason I thought I read 32psi to keep the back end from getting mushy. I think I'm going to check out the Michelin, next time around. Appreciate the input.

Thanks
Just to add to what the others have said. I was chasing Murgie all over the mountains when he was running 28 psi in his Pirelli [email protected] psi sure didn't seem to hurt the handling of it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The best way to make sure you are at the correct pressure is to air the tire and sit on the bike, roll it forward over wet pavement to dry and look at the imprint on the ground. If you see primarily center let some air out. If you see primarily edges add air. When you see a full imprint you are at the correct pressure. My guess is its around 29#. 32#s is close to what they are run at on a car.

Good idea. Never thought of that. I always have run at 34 psi. It will be interesting to see what type of pattern it makes.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Best to do such a test when the tire is up to operating temp since air pressure will increase as the tire warms up. A tire that looks to have the correct contact patch when cold will be over inflated when it gains 10-20% pressure when it warms.

Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hot Tire Rubber gets softer

Best to do such a test when the tire is up to operating temp since air pressure will increase as the tire warms up. A tire that looks to have the correct contact patch when cold will be over inflated when it gains 10-20% pressure when it warms.
My 2 Cents,

Tire cold leaves a given foot print -- as it get hotter the Rubber becomes softer and Air Pressure increases with one offsetting the other.

Resulting in a Contact Patch that stays the same.

Northern-Dancer

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Love 28 psi in my Pirelli's. Being kinda lazy I just air them up to about 30 and then check them every couple of weeks or so and when they go down to about 27 psi, start over again. I don't recommend this, this is just what I do.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My first CT was a Conti Pro Contact It was what the veterans said was the best at the time, I had to take your word for it because I would have never done this on my own! It was just before my first trip to the Grand Canyon/Rockies/Sturgis. I liked it but I dont remember getting a lot of miles on it.
My Second CT was a Goodyear... something, something, I dont remember the model, just that it was a Goodyear that I rode it to Canada and Niagra Falls. I had no problems with this tire, but still did not get the mileage I thought I should get.
My Third CT was a Kumho which I picked up a screw when it was about halfway worn out and and I didnt want to run it with a plug so
My Four CT was another Kumho to replace the one with the plug, and before I could get to the wear bars I ran over a rock or brick at night and got a bulge on the side (I posted pics on the forum). I decided Kumho's were unlucky for me and
MY Fifth CT was a Pirelli Eufori which I got over 21,000 miles on it and was relatively pleased...I thought it wanted to wander some (but this was about the time decided to get Traxxion, so it may have been my worn out suspension/brging/forks.
My Sixth and present CT is the Michelin Alpin which I rode on my second trip to the Rockies and my SS1000. I really like this tire! It seems the closest to a motorcycle tire in curves. I have 5,608 miles on this and it look like brand new.

Looks like I need to change my signature to my 6th CT!!! Thanks for all the pioneering on the CT on a GL1800! You guys that blazed this trail have guts!

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Almost, but not quite, what I get out of one. :yes1:
Little White lies will catch up to ya buddy :thumbup: test me I know this all to well. So your whopper does not have a chance ;)

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Little White lies will catch up to ya buddy :thumbup: test me I know this all to well. So your whopper does not have a chance ;)
You can't handle the truth!:lol::lol::lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts