GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for their comments on that other thread. I do appreciate and read everyone of them !!! JustWings has an incredible customer base, and it mostly came from word of mouth. Word of mouth is by far the most successful way for a business to grow, and I greatly appreciate you all for passing on and recommending the many that come here for repair. Often, someone stops in just for a handful of my business cards to pass out amount their fellow riders. Again, many thanks to you all !!!

This is in response to charleetho's comment from this thread https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/451647-dealership-service.html

There must be a boat load of Goldwings in Florida to keep a specialty shop busy. I Goldwing only service shop in Colorado would not survive. Adventure bikes and Harley's dominate the market.
Florida does have a lot of GoldWings, and people here ride year around. However, if JustWings had a location in Colorado, I'm sure it would survive there too. There are several factors that makes my business unique. First and foremost is my background. It plays a key role in what is done here. Basically, I try and make this business the repair shop everyone has been looking for. If you walk in here, there are no accessories hanging on my walls, you will not see chrome and bling, but instead you'll see cooling system hoses hanging up high. Good repair and service focus on repair and service. Walk in my door, and I'm not gonna try and sell you set chrome wheels ... the focus here is to have a reliable GoldWing to travel on.

I also don't do "waiters." Of coarse there are some exceptions to that, but those are far and few !!! Basically, I've manage enough repair shops to know that no one in the repair business likes waiters ... of with the exception of coarse of upper management !!! Service management don't like waiter, techs don't, and neither does any of the other help. Basically when a someone shows up who is waiting, the entire focus has to do with getting that customer done and out. It puts everyone on edge, and the focus shift from the GoldWing to the customer. Have you ever been doing something to your Wing, become frustrated, and needed to walk away, only to return and everything then goes together like butter. That happens here too, and there is nothing worst than feeling the stress of a customer getting hungry, and wanting his Wing finished, so that he can meet his buddies for lunch.

Parts on hand is another huge factor. Wings are not assembled incorrectly here ... "that nut will work," is not acceptable. The nut that works is the one from the parts fish. All those fasters, weather they be rivets, push-pins, nuts, bolts, grommets, screw, nut-plates are all in stock. My inventory for 5th and 6th gen Wings is the largest in the world outside of a Honda distribution center. JustWings now has over 1,400 parts in stock. My parts are well organized and managed. Rarely do I order a part for a particular Wing that is here for repair. There is one here now for ADG repair. No parts were ordered for that Wing. The same is true for that last transmission repair. All those parts came from my parts selves, including all those rivets, push-pins, nuts, bolts, grommets, screw, nut-plates, that were required, to put the Wing back together correctly. If a kill switch assembly is needed, I have all 3 part numbers to cover 2001-17 Wings in stock.

Probably most important are the preliminary inspections prior to starting work. GoldWing people all gather in groups, and we've all heard "well it was not like that prior to taking it there." Well guess what ... all that stuff that one thinks was not like that is caught, and reported, and it is notated on their receipt.

We get more Wings ready for long distance summer travel than probably any other shop in the world. Between Feb-May, many bring their Wings here wanting theirs "readied' for trouble-free travel. Honda does a great job in out-lining a maintenance schedule, but if a shop only works on GL1800, there is such a thing as knowing right were to look, and what add'l services, or inspections, that are not included in Honda maintenance schedule that need done. It's those little things of knowing where, and when to look, and what to look for, that can make all the difference in reliable travel. JustWings is exactly what it is ... a true specialty shop for GL1800s.

I've managed many repair shops. I know what makes one shop good and another bad. I know why some are successful, while others fail. I know why some Honda mechanics have said "that JustWings sets the bar for all others shops."

As for Colorado, JustWings would work there too. The reason, because the majority of my customers are not local. They cannot find good service and repair in their area and travel hundreds and thousands of miles to get here. Colorado ... it's more central :)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Greg isn't the first. It's all about customer service. The late great Jim Venne owned and successfully ran Venco Wings in Loudon, NH. He serviced all Goldwings, not just GL1800's, having started his business before the introduction of the GL1800.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/155225-venco-wings-loudon-nh.html

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forum...g-legend-jim-venne-venco-wings-loudon-nh.html
Jim was the best. Utilized his services many times.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
When my wife and I took a weeks vacation in Fla. last year, I had the opportunity, to finely got the chance to meet Gregg in person .... When we entered his shop, Gregg actually stopped what he was doing, introduced himself, and we had a wonderful taking, Goldwings.... His shop was very clean, everything had a place, it was not cluttered up with junk...the floor was clean as a whistle, my wife said even the restrooms were spotless (you know woman with restrooms).......I WAS IMPRESSED! I would not have a worry at all or any second thoughts about leaving my beloved "Blacky" to be serviced by Gregg....
THANK YOU AGAIN, GREGG, FOR YOUR WONDERFUL HOSPITALITY, LAST YEAR............We had a great visit!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Customer service is the backbone of any successful business. Sadly, there seems to be a considerable number of businesses that have forgotten that they exist for the customer. It is nice to know that JustWings is one that thinks the customer is king. If I'm ever in Florida and have a problem with the bike, I know where I will go.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think I am lucky to live near Greg. When I bought my bike, I negotiated the annual maintenance through 15,000 miles be done for free at my dealership. At just over 12,000 miles on her now, next year I will need someone else.

However, the main reason Greg's business is needed, is there are very few mechanics anymore - they are all technicians. Even my dealership has concerns, as the only real Goldwing mechanic retired this year.

I want someone who rides a Goldwing to be responsible for MY Goldwing. It is not a ADV bike, nor a ATV, or a sportbike.

Greg, look forward to a new service provider in 2020.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg
1 - 7 of 7 Posts