GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We road down to Madison this afternoon and went down on the way back. This was a weird deal and I guess I am to blame.
As I am getting into the habit of getting off the slab it happened at the exit from Hyw 151 and the intersection of Hyw 73. I pulled up to the stop sign and a vehicle was going north on 73 but had his right blinker on to take the on ramp to north bound 151. There was about a foot wide black stripe in the road but I really didn't think much of it. Well when the vehicle was turning I twisted the throttle as I did not come to a complete stop.
Well the rear tire kicked out in a heart beat and we went down hard on the left side. Before going down we must have had speed from the tire slipping in the oil or diesel fuel as we slid so fast the bike hit the curb and flipped us upright and jumped the curb but not the rear wheel. Then we fell down on the right side which I figure was an added eight inches. So again hit hard.
Sarah did what I always told her to do and held on as hard as she could to the grab bars, but did suffer a bruise which I am sure will hurt in the morning on her right calf.
I held on to the handle bars so no problem with the hands but was pinned under the bike. I am thankfull for my boots. Of course I whacked my helmet on the pavement !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
John, I am glad both of you are OK. You guys should get checked out by your doctor, just to be on the safe side. Also, is there anything I can do, such as retrieve the bike?:eek:4:

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, I am glad both of you are OK. You guys should get checked out by your doctor, just to be on the safe side. Also, is there anything I can do, such as retrieve the bike?:eek:4:
Thanks so much Orrin!! A couple from Kingston that are into Boss Hawg trikes stopped and gave Sarah a ride home and I rode the bike home.
I not sure I believe this but the front end is not right but I parked it and will have it checked out. It had a couple weird wobbles.
I am still getting yelled at by my son who is on me for not calling the police.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Wow! Sorry to hear that. John, glad you and Sarah are okay for the most part.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Take it easy John, us old guys can't take the concrete barrel rolls like we used too. Wish Sara a quick healing. Talked to Curtis, will be delivering that Tuesday. John

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
Yes call the police !!! Report the road condition !! And your wreck ! Insurance mite fix. I slid over 300 ft 40 yrs ago in ohio . Tanker truck hauling slop oil from catch pond didnt have valve shut on truck .was caterpillar !! Glad your all rite ( should get head checked out if anything not normal going on !!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry to hear this John. Could have been a lot worse.

Take care of yourself and wife, then take care of the bike.

Ego is the last thing to repair as you need time to think things out and create workable changes in your riding style.

Been there Done that.

All The Best
Bulldog & Meesh

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Thank the Lord you and your wife are OK.

When I crashed in June 2010 the first awareness that I had went down was my helmet whacking the pavement. The very 1st thing I said was, "Thank God I am wearing a helmet!"

·
Registered
229 Posts
John

Sorry to here about this John. We are glad you and Sarah are OK for the most part. Yes call it in. If you slipped then someone else will too. And we have a lot of bikes coming to town this week.
let me know if you need any help.
Are you trying to keep up with the Hansen's? Just kidding.
looking forward to seeing you this week.
Jerry & Marge

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
Very sorry to see this ! Sounds like you and Sarah were pretty lucky to not get hurt a lot worse.
The picture sure looks a lot like spilled diesel fuel and that is some very slippery stuff, that's kinda how I broke my leg in 2007, ever since that happened I pay a lot more attention for stuff spilled on the road, diesel fuel can be difficult to see.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thank the Lord you and your wife are OK.

When I crashed in June 2010 the first awareness that I had went down was my helmet whacking the pavement. The very 1st thing I said was, "Thank God I am wearing a helmet!"
Definitely saved your riding for this summer.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Wow glad for the most part you guys are ok...

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I agree with everybody else . Call the police and report it . Also glad to read you 2 did not get hurt any worse.
All a part of riding , nothing one can do about spills on the road if you do not see it .
Kuddos to Sarah for doing the right thing while it was all going down . :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
John, I did not think of this before, but you can use my bike that I have for sale untill yours gets repaired. Your son will love me! Besides, I need another riding buddy. I always have a good time when we are chasing each other down the road.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad it wasn't any worse. Hope you both heal quickly. Looks like the helmet did its job. Thats why we wear them.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Sorry to read about your accident but, as other have already said, the most important thing is that you and Sarah are for the most part OK! I'm sure that the day after is finding you both with a few more aches and pains than you felt yesterday. Jen and I are thinking of you two, and hope the healing process will be quick all around!

Please don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything I can do for you :nojoke:.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sorry to hear of this, John. It is a good thing you and Sarah were wearing the safety gear or it could have been worse. My former boss went off the road a year ago with his grandson on the back. His grandson was wearing a helmet, but he wasn't. The grandson came out of it fine and my former boss still isn't right. (Double vision and balance problems.) So, it goes to show, safety gear is a must at all times.
I hope Sarah's "bruise" heals quickly and I'm glad to hear you both came through this fairly well with no broken bones or serious road rash.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much everyone for the good thoughts it really means a lot :thumbup::thumbup:

Looked it over much better today. I can't hardly believe it but the left side rider peg is ground down and the side stand did not fair any better. But no paint scratches that I can see. It did hit hard enough that the cap nuts and fiber washers popped off the air wings on that side but did not scratch or break them. Weird :shrug:

The right side has scrapes on the mirror, saddle bag and the center strip in the middle of the bag. It shoved the right side Mic O Peg into the valve cover but it does not appear to leak.

Sarah left for work at 3:30 am as usual so I am hoping she is OK!! Still can't believe she wanted to ride home with me !! She does deserve the Honorary Toughest Rider shirt!! LOL!!

My right elbow is pretty sore but that could be from some weight lifting at the gym on Saturday :shrug:

Our daughter is saying Trike or quit. My son looked and basically walked away:eek:4: I assume I will hear more later :eek:4:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts