GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend said he put a K & M filter on his 2003 1800 when new and it is great. He said that he had to have the engine remapped. He says he gets 40-45 miles per gallon and the filter is re-useable.

This is in Houston Texas, nearly at sea level and in winter. My 1800 gets 32 to 38, 33 in the winter.

Few questions for the board:

Does anyone have a K&M on their 1800? Do you have to clean it more because its oil coated? That could be expensive on labor.

Does the increased air let the bike run leaner. I believe my bike runs rich based on the soot on the exhause since about 2500 miles.

Can an 1800 be remapped? I thought no one has the technology.

If you have the K&M, what are your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for the wisdom and helpfulnes of this board.

Best regards,
Mike

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I installed a K&N on mine and noticed no changes at all. notta, zilch, nothing. I believed before I purchased the K&N that the advertised performance gains were nothing more than hype intended to impress the impressionable. The reason I bought the K&N was for the extended change interval. Now I can change the filter every 30,000 miles instead of every 12,000 miles. Not only will this save me time but the chances of breaking a piece of expensive plastic is reduced. For that reason alone I feel it was money well spent.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
It has been stated on this board by the best, Stu O, that the K&N can screw with the throttle body causing problems. A couple of people have had trouble with idle surge and something else that was caused by the oil vapors from the K&N. Can't remember everything! :(

Tell your friend that he didn't have his ECM remapped. If he thinks they did, someone filled him full of sheet.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
The K&M filters have been discontinued. They were replaced by the K&N! :D :D

No such thing as a K&M filter that I know of!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Big Red. said:
Whats the difference between the K&M and K&N.? :beer2: :beer3: :coolit:

:luck: :rw1: :luck:
Just one letter.... :lol:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dewey, If the best mpg you can get is 33 and you're not going full throttle in every gear from a stop, then you have a common problem many of us have seen. Thought Honda would have adjusted by 2003 though.

You should be able to get the mpg that your friend with the K & N is getting---He ain't gettin' that from the air filter!

All our bikes have a sooty exhaust; if it is worse than average you should have your dealer look into a possible bad O2 sensor (or two). Just on the basis of the mpg you get. To wit: My '02 got 29- 30 mpg when new. after about 1500 miles of this, I persuaded the dealer to check it out. They found the right side O2 sensor bad and changed it. Been getting 38 to 45 mpg since, depending on winter/summer and my throttle hand.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Red said:
It has been stated on this board by the best, Stu O, that the K&N can screw with the throttle body causing problems. A couple of people have had trouble with idle surge and something else that was caused by the oil vapors from the K&N. Can't remember everything! :(

Tell your friend that he didn't have his ECM remapped. If he thinks they did, someone filled him full of sheet.
I have 8000 miles on my K&N so far and have not experienced any of the troubles alledgedly caused by K&N filter oil vapors. This is just a guess but the person(s) that had these troubles probably over oiled the filter element when they cleaned it.

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
I changed the stock air filter at 41,000 miles and it still looked good but changed it anyway.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Go K&N

Personally, I don't think K&N's are going to give any car or bike any significant performance gain or gas mileage gain and buying it for that is a waste of time.

I do think however, that the K&N filter is a superior product to the Honda filter and I'd go with the quality of the K&N for that reason.

I put mine in some time back and personally, I think my throttle is a little more response from the start, but aside from that, I don't see any difference. I do know that I have a quality component in my bike.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
K&N

Don't waste your money on a K&N filter. Yes they flow more air. They do so because the open cotton weave of the filter material they use. As a result, they do not filter to the same micron level that a paper element will.

The OEM paper element filter that Honda installed at the factory filters out the dirt and particulates much better than a K&N ever will. This means less piston and ring wear and less dirt/contaiminates in your oil. There simply is no better filter material than a good quality paper element. Stick to the OEM filter and your engine will have less internal wear and better compression when it gets 150 K miles on it.

Besides, after you have done it a time or two, you should be able to access and replace the filter in less than an hour. I can do mine, start to finish, in under 30 minutes (but then I have had the top shelter off several dozen times already ;^)

·
Registered
810 Posts
To Freh H.

Fred:

Do you have any published resources that will back up your statements?

I'd like to see Car and Driver and/or Consumer reports come out and say that paper elements are far better than a K&N. If so, I'll be glad to apologize on the board here, but I think your statement is full of errors.

IMHO

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

I'm not going to fool around and search for test results. Here is one from someone, I didn't read much of it, so I don't have a clue what the results will be. Anything I have read about K&N filters since the 70's has stated they do not filter as well as paper.

It's your bikes, use what you want. You couldn't pay me to use K&N air filters. Maybe that is why Harleys have so much more power after installing the Screaming Eagle/K&N air filters! LOL...

Automotive dealers have bulletins stating the oil residue from K&N filters screws up the air passages of a throttle body. Again I don't care because I won't be using one.

Use what you want.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
K&N

Well, here is one independent test I found after 2 minutes of research. I am sure there are more if you want to spend the time looking/reading

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Note the following comments on his page
>>>>>
The results are in for the Napa paper filter. I always heard on the 'net that paper filters best. It does, but it isn't as superior as I thought it would be. The K&N doesn't filter nearly as bad as the horror stories say, and again the Amsoil was a disappointment. Here are two pictures comparing all 3. The first is with no flash, and the 2nd uses the flash in the same exact location and same wattage lighting as in the K&N / Amsoil comparison photos from above. My wife again established an order for filtration based on color not knowing which test filter is which, not caring, but putting up with my silliness anyway. She said the Napa filtered best, followed by the K&N, and last the Amsoil. She again reiterated that the
Amsoil and K&N are very close as well. The Napa was clearly the lightest in color with the least particulate deposited.
>>>>>

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I was told by a Mathematics Professor in a senior level statistics class that "a single data point is meaningless". The referenced test is exactly that. A collection of single data points for six brands of filters. The experiment lacks control over the environment that each filter was exposed to as well as airflow control. The only apparent control was that each filter was run for about 500 miles in the same car. I don't think anyone will argue that a filter that is run down the highway for 500 miles in one day will probably remain cleaner than one that is driven around town for 500 miles over a period of several weeks or possibly months. I am taking the results of this experiment with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree with Red. I way of thinking on it is that if it will let more air in, more dirt can go in with it. That's just my opinion. I'll stick with the stock filter.

·
Registered
810 Posts
That article simply doesn't hold water.

Sorry, that articles certainly isn't going to convince me, but hey, that's just my opinion. K&N has been around for years and has an outstanding reputation.

There are comments that the GL1800 is specifically tuned towards the precise airflow that the paper filter puts out, but I can tell I've had no problems and just had the bike fully checked out and no comments from any of the mechanics on my K&N.

As for that article, the first few lines state:

"Of course these are not standard ASTM tests and by no means represent any scientific certainty. "

That, to me, totally invalidates this person's test and simply offers it as his opinion only.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
Physics and airflow

You can't argue with physics. Any type of element that attempts to filter air, will restrict airflow and cause a pressure drop. The better the filtration, the more the restriction.

An airfilter that flows air better, cannot also filter to the same level. You either get less restriction, or better filtration. You can't have both. There simply is no free lunch.

Couple this with the reported problems of the oil from the K&N filters getting into the throttle plate controls, and I think you would be well advised to steer clear of them.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Reviews?? Back yourself up with credible reviews please.

As I said, this board is filled with opinions and ours will not become one.

K&N's have been around for a long time and are used in a multitude of applications and are well known for their quality.

There have been a few instances of people in the GL1800 community using them and having a few problems and possibly, the filter might not be best suited for the GL1800. That, by no means, should put a negative criticism on one of the better filters on the market, or one of the better designs in filtration.

As for oil on the 1800. Well, though I might insult someone, if some fool over oils his/her filter, please do not have the ignorance to put the blame on the K&N product. That's along the lines of burning your crotch for putting a hot cup of McDonald's coffee between your legs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts