GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
For the life of me I see no value using K&N Air Filters. If anything, I see a significant downside to using them. especially if you are paying someone by the hour to clean-change them.

First, it takes about an hour to get the shelter off, unplug all of the connections just to get to the air filter.

Conventional means. Pluck the old one out and replace with the new one which costs about $22.50.

Then close everything up. Another hour. Time spent about two hours or so.

K&N filter. Same amount of time to remove shelter and all the connections. Now you have to clean the filter. Wait a couple of hours for it to dry stick it back in then reassemble the connections.

I do not see the value of spending the addtional time to clean the filter and wait for it to dry. Especially if you are paying some one by the hour.

If you are doing it by yourself and want to have another 6 pack whild waiting for it to dry then I guess it makes all the sense in the world to make a 2 hour project a 5 or six hour job.

·
Registered
742 Posts
For the life of me I see no value using K&N Air Filters. If anything, I see a significant downside to using them. especially if you are paying someone by the hour to clean-change them.

First, it takes about an hour to get the shelter off, unplug all of the connections just to get to the air filter.

Conventional means. Pluck the old one out and replace with the new one which costs about $22.50.

Then close everything up. Another hour. Time spent about two hours or so.

K&N filter. Same amount of time to remove shelter and all the connections. Now you have to clean the filter. Wait a couple of hours for it to dry stick it back in then reassemble the connections.

I do not see the value of spending the addtional time to clean the filter and wait for it to dry. Especially if you are paying some one by the hour.

If you are doing it by yourself and want to have another 6 pack whild waiting for it to dry then I guess it makes all the sense in the world to make a 2 hour project a 5 or six hour job.
:agree::agree::agree:

I finally got around to changing the air filter on my '01 at 48K it was a bit dirty but not bad. Since I was there and had the K & N in my hand I swapped them. There was absolutly no change in performance with the K & N filter. If anything I heard more sucking noise from the air intakes but no power or gas mileage change.

I suspect few riders will go that long between changes but if they aren't dirty then why bother. Every time I had the top shelter off I would remove the intake tubes and inspect the filter. When it started looking dirty it got changed...

Same time frame '06 GL1800 same OEM filter condition only this time I put an OEM filter back in. I'll keep doing that until one of us wears out.... :shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Thanks i bought the original filter today. 34,000 miles first time to change filter .
You are wise. Oil wetted filter elements do not filter well until they are nearly clogged. They are a new twist on very old technology that was first surpassed by oil bath filters [in the 1940s] and later by treated pleated paper filter elements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts