GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of putting a K&N air filter on. I figured some of you guys were using it and was wondering what you thought of it, especially in regard to performance.
thanks.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have never tried it on an 1800. Did use on a couple of other bikes including a 1200 Wing without issue.

Many others on the board do not recommend it, and some of them have some good arguments as "why not to use", but for me, I don't really have the data to prove it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I was thinking of putting a K&N air filter on. I figured some of you guys were using it and was wondering what you thought of it, especially in regard to performance.
thanks.
I tried it for a season. I inspected and performed maintenance to it twice and found that I was spending too much time cleaning the filter and the throttle body more than I wanted. I went back the the OEM and noticed that everything was cleaner. All I do now is remove the old filter, wipe down the air box and pop in a new filter in. :doorag:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've used the K&N air filter for years in both the 1500 Wing and the 1800 with nary a problem..Put a 100,000 thousand on the 1500 and now have 34,000 on the 1800...Plus I use them in the car and my pickup truck and if I could find one I would use it in my lawn mower. Why spend forty bucks every ten or twelve months for a new filter when you can just clean and reuse the K&N...And with the economy it now it just makes sense. K&N makes a good product and it lasts...

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
No better performance on a Goldwing, may actually make it run even leaner at higher RPM (HP loss)..
Cleaning properly takes time (time is worth $$ to me)
Don't know where an OEM filter costs $40, List from Honda is $19.99 and $15 from Hal CLICKME...
K&N is $50
Some folks notice oil builds up in the throttle bodies (never seen this personally but it's possible if one doesn't follow the instructions)

Yes, you reuse the K&N and you are not throwing a paper filter in a landfill.. But you are washing oil out of the K&N with a non-friendly cleaner and many gallons of water.. Let's not kid ourselves, most folks chuck the equivilent of an air filter in one weeks worth of disposable coffee cups..

Personally I wouldn't run one on a Goldwing, no real drawbacks, but no advantages either (they come with a nice sticker though ;))..
I DO run them on the Triumphs and have spent some time on a dyno adjusting the ECU to take advantage of them... I was pretty surprised that adding a K&N made the A/F run up to 18:1 at higher RPMS before tuning (Ideal is 12.8:1)...

Make your own decision..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the feedback. it doesn't take much to get critcized on this board. it might be a repost but not everybody has been on this board as long as some of you. I did a search for K&N filters and many things that had nothing to do with filters so I thought I would ask.
thanks

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The oem filter in the wing has a lot of surface area, and will pass the same amount of air as the k&n, so there will not be any performance gains, The k&n filter works well and will pass more air in smaller filter applications. They also pass more dirt.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
The oem filter in the wing has a lot of surface area, and will pass the same amount of air as the k&n, so there will not be any performance gains, The k&n filter works well and will pass more air in smaller filter applications. They also pass more dirt.

"They also pass more dirt."
Yup

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
thanks for the feedback. it doesn't take much to get critcized on this board. it might be a repost but not everybody has been on this board as long as some of you. I did a search for K&N filters and many things that had nothing to do with filters so I thought I would ask.
thanks

Not meant as a criticism or rudeness at all. If you had seen a subject a thousand times you might see the humor in it. Perhaps it was an unnecessary response to a very regular inquiry on a paticular subject. Sorry to hurt your feelings, I withdraw and will delete it.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Not meant as a criticism or rudeness at all. If you had seen a subject a thousand times you might see the humor in it. Perhaps it was an unnecessary response to a very regular inquiry on a paticular subject. Sorry to hurt your feelings, I withdraw and will delete it.
Good post. You speak for several of us.

I must confess that I bought a K & N filter several years ago based on 'testimonials' and hype. When I looked it over closely I saw that it was a rendition of the oil-wetted filters installed on Chevrolets and other vehicles in the 1930s and 1940s, using modern materials. I should have been paying attention to the advertising hype. At the time, the K & N ad copy noted that the unit filtered better when dirty. Duh! I don't think the ads still include that statement.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Would be OK if the Wing was NOT fuel injected. It is. Don't mess with the air fuel system. You will almost always lose by

1) messing up performance somewhere along the curve or..

2) spending $ unneccesarily

The OEM works very nicely. Save your money for chrome or something else that you can really use. Lots of ways to spend money that will give you results to justify the expense. I've got 72,000 km and JUST put in my 2nd air filter. The first change was unnecessary........

·
Registered
297 Posts
I tried the K&N, when I pulled it at about 20,000, it wasn't near as dirty as the OEM normally gets, there's only one place that dirt could have gone. I went back to the OME. As far as performance, I saw no improvement at all.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I tried the K&N, when I pulled it at about 20,000, it wasn't near as dirty as the OME normally gets, there's only one place that dirt could have gone. I went back to the OME. As far as performance, I saw no improvement at all.
K & N used to advertise that their oil wetted filter did a better job when dirty than when new. I understand why the company dropped that line from it's ad copy. <g>

1 - 20 of 26 Posts