GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the radio amp upgraded and figured while i have everything tore apart id dig a little deeper and replace the air filter. Considering a K & N. Or should i just go traditional paper? What yall think? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Paper. Most folks want to get the job done. Unless you have a second K&N filter, there's a waiting period between re-oiling the filter and putting it back in the bike!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Reactions: Barney Biker 1

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts
Nothing beats OEM quality. However, with the internet, you can always find many to support whatever opinion you choose to follow.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I currently have a K&N air filter on my trusty old 1990 GL1500 trike that has been in use for nearly all of its 150K miles. When I have remove it to clean and re-oil, I've noted that the air box underneath the filter to be very clean. No dust or oil residue. However, as stated above, it is a hassle to properly wash and then wait for it to dry before re-oiling. For this reason, along with the general consensus of this and other boards, I will stick with OEM paper filters for my GL1800.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm also doing an upgrade on my 2008 with a amp haven't quite decided yet where I'm going to mount it and if I'm actually going to go with the speaker wire inputs or remove the old amp. What kind of luck have you had so far? Maybe we can share ideas thanks.
Bruce

·
Registered
678 Posts
Some people don't like the idea of large(r) micron passages on K&Ns.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bought my 05 in 2012 had 35K miles on it. Shortly after purchase i changed all the fluids and filters. I found a K&N filter had been installed by the previous owner, I had a new OEM filter that i replaced it with. The Wing came from close to the east FL coast. Fast forward to July 2018. Now has 65K miles. Got an engine knock, thought it was the ADG, $1000 later all back together still has the knock. Engine was torn down December 2018, Every surface in this engine that has oil pressurize surface is worn out. All these surfaces are highly polished to a near high quality chrome appearance. Not one gouge, gald mark or scratch in any of the surfaces. Had to replace the entire engine with a used engine. I believe that was an $8000.00 Filter the previous owner put it, the unfortunate part is I paid about $7900 of the price tag. JMHO!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Bought my 05 in 2012 had 35K miles on it. Shortly after purchase i changed all the fluids and filters. I found a K&N filter had been installed by the previous owner, I had a new OEM filter that i replaced it with. The Wing came from close to the east FL coast. Fast forward to July 2018. Now has 65K miles. Got an engine knock, thought it was the ADG, $1000 later all back together still has the knock. Engine was torn down December 2018, Every surface in this engine that has oil pressurize surface is worn out. All these surfaces are highly polished to a near high quality chrome appearance. Not one gouge, gald mark or scratch in any of the surfaces. Had to replace the entire engine with a used engine. I believe that was an $8000.00 Filter the previous owner put it, the unfortunate part is I paid about $7900 of the price tag. JMHO!
Wow so your saying a K&N air filter destroyed your engine ? :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,728 Posts

I don't understand what your talking about??:serious:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The conditions you ride in will determine how often the air filter will need to be changed.
In my area there is no dirt road riding that I encounter. In general, the first filter change at 30,000 miles became the indicator. The stock paper filter had little noticeable discoloration. I put 60,000 miles on the second stock filter. This one had just a bit more discolor and dirt caught, but I would have been fine for another 20,000 miles in my estimation. So for me the standard filter is probably good for 50,000 miles n my area.
I have a bore-scope to sneak a peek at the filter without having to disassemble the bike too much.

So my opinion on the K&N is that I see no real gain by installing one. I have bought my Honda filters when they were on sale and have 2 standing by. I think these will last a few years!!!

Corventure Dave

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts
The conditions you ride in will determine how often the air filter will need to be changed.
In my area there is no dirt road riding that I encounter. In general, the first filter change at 30,000 miles became the indicator. The stock paper filter had little noticeable discoloration. I put 60,000 miles on the second stock filter. This one had just a bit more discolor and dirt caught, but I would have been fine for another 20,000 miles in my estimation. So for me the standard filter is probably good for 50,000 miles n my area.
I have a bore-scope to sneak a peek at the filter without having to disassemble the bike too much.

So my opinion on the K&N is that I see no real gain by installing one. I have bought my Honda filters when they were on sale and have 2 standing by. I think these will last a few years!!!

Corventure Dave
Actually what should be done is to follow Honda's Maintenance Schedule. According to Honda and their footnotes at the bottom of their schedule, many here should be changing their air filter prior to every 12k. However, it sounds like yours can go the full 12k without dirty particles collecting inside the engine.

"2. Service more frequently when riding in unusually wet or dusty areas."

Sorry that I don't have a better picture, but this one is handy. The darkness of the entire insides of the timing chain area is a huge clue, but the dirt is more seen in the roughness inside the circle. There is a ledge there that does not get good oil rinse, so whatever oil film is present, dirt begins to collect. Unfortunately yours will look something like it, and you can count on it. It's kind of like a 1 pack-a-day smoker telling his Dr how healthy he feels. But the difference is that his Dr is educated, and the smoker is really believing whatever it is that he want to believe.

The fact's are this. Not changing your oil, oil filter, and air filter per Honda's recommendations will turn your engine into an early oil burner ... you can absolute, without any doubt count on it ... there will be no exceptions ... this is not rock science.

Below is a picture of a healthy set of lungs and a set from the one-pack-a-day smoker.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm also doing an upgrade on my 2008 with a amp haven't quite decided yet where I'm going to mount it and if I'm actually going to go with the speaker wire inputs or remove the old amp. What kind of luck have you had so far? Maybe we can share ideas thanks.
Bruce
Apologies, i wasnt clear. I sent my stock radio off to Wingconnect for the mod to the built in factory amp on the radio. The mod Larry does is supposed to make a huge difference in sound output.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Corventure Dave
I have a boroscope also, how did you route it to get to the air filter? Id rather check first and see if it needs it than tearing into everything.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Just have to route the scope through one of the air intake horns. Also a good way t see if mice have made a home in there after winter storage. I don't have that issue here, as I ride year round.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just have to route the scope through one of the air intake horns. Also a good way t see if mice have made a home in there after winter storage. I don't have that issue here, as I ride year round.

Corventure Dave
That must be sooo nice, riding all year. In KS we are in ice season and there is sand/salt mix strewn everywhere. Especially bad in the intersections. They must have an excess supply of the stuff cuz they are throwing it out like they dont have to pay for it. Ill be lucky to get back on the bike by April. Thank you for the advice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts