GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the what will they think of next category:

"The technical highlight of the Luxury Tourer's (K1200LT) enhancements is an electrohydraulic center-stand with automatic push-up effect. Developed by BMW, this new feature enables the rider, even with a passenger and fully loaded, to automatically raise the motorcycle simply by pushing a button, without even getting off his seat. This is accomplished by an electric pump that builds up pressure in a hydraulic system and moves out the center-stand without any manual handling required."

Other revisions include more power and a lower seat.
Check out the following webpage, about 1/2 way down the page:
http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/newmodel ... models.htm

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
It sounds like they are raising the bar a little! I guess it is Honda's turn next......

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
There's a number of things that I look for in a motorcycle. A "automatic" center stand isn't one of them. Not even on the radar screen.

Talk about useless. How much will something like that add to the already bloated price of the K12LT...? :no:

At least "more power" was also mentioned.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The additional power will be needed to offset the additional weight of the powered centerstand on the K1200LT. There is no free ride. Piper

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Piper said:
The additional power will be needed to offset the additional weight of the powered centerstand on the K1200LT. There is no free ride. Piper
Well said Piper!

:clap2: :bow: :s27: :clap2: :bow: :s27:

:sw1:

·
Registered
596 Posts
mrgl02 said:
There's a number of things that I look for in a motorcycle. A "automatic" center stand isn't one of them. Not even on the radar screen.
My thoughts exactly unless that Beemer is really hard to centerstand. Maybe as an option for someone with a physical problem, but as standard equipment, it seems a waste and more trouble than it's worth.

I wonder how a rider would centerstand one to work on it if he'd had an electrical failure. :?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Electric Center Stand

Wing is easy to put on the center stand, even when loaded down. Don't need that thing to malfunction and deploy while my wife and I are out cruising at 80 mph and enjoying life... Bird

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sounds to me like they are lowering the boom while raising the price. :)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Maybe they can weld one on while they are touching up the frame......lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Putting a heavy motorcycle like the K1200LT or the GL1800 up on a centerstand requires some strength. I think a lot of riders would appreciate a power-assisted centerstand. I bet the same crowd that's putting down BMW's centerstand now scoffed when Honda offered reverse on the GL1500.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a ride off center stand on my 02 and just love it. It's great when I have the SO aboard, and it makes it easier for her to mount and dismount. If they made it easier for me to operate I would just love it. I think anyone with a ride off stand would think so to. Just my .02 worth

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the "Power Park" drive off center stand and it is great. Put the bike in reverse and up you go. I don't always use the power feature. I am not sure how hard it is on the starter, but it also improves the manual mode. I have strained my back a few times putting it on the stock stand, but it goes up very easily on the power park stand. Chapter director said it was the " best hundred bucks he spent on his 1500" He may be right!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would think that if you "REQUIRE" this option, maybe it is time that you considered going to a trike!

Just a way to raise cost needlessly

2,732 Posts
Power centerstand

I would think that putting a power stand down while setting on uneven ground could end up being quite and exhilerating experience. When putting my center stand down, the first thing I check is to see if it is setting on equal heights and level ground. I would think (but frankly don't know) that it could pitch you off pretty easy if the stand didn't drop on exactly level ground, but maybe BMW is going to do a remote camera with a screen on the dash that shows you a picture of the ground under the bike first!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Had Power Park on my 1500. My wife was a stroke victim and was much more comfortable getting on and off while on the center stand versus the side stand. Now that she has passed away, I don't have the need to put one on the 1800, but it was nice. Biggest issue was that both tires maintained contact with the ground while on the stand which made checking tires and pressures a pain (roll forward, check, roll forward, check, etc.).

Michael

·
Registered
126 Posts
an electrohydraulic center-stand with automatic push-up effect.

What next? ...power steering?
Why not? They have power brakes!

G

·
0 Posts
mrgl02 said:

Talk about useless. How much will something like that add to the already bloated price of the K12LT...? :no:

At least "more power" was also mentioned.

I recall hearing the same complaints from fellow Wingers way back when it was rumored that Honda was coming out with a reverse. WHy in the world would we need a reverse???

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
PowerCenterStand?

If you think it takes a lot of strength to get the Wing or a KLT up on the center stand, maybe you should try to understand that it is about technique, not strength. If you can't deal with it, get a trike or give up riding.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Personally, I think it's pretty smart of BMW to recognize the aging of their prime market. As we get older, we may not be as able to muscle the bike around like we do now.

The other issue, is that the LT is an inline four, laying flat with all cylinders on the left side, which tends to let a little oil collect in the head if only the sidestand is used for long term parking of high mileage bikes. For that reason, most BMW dealers encourage use of the center stand for overnight parking.

My wing, on the other hand, only gets on the center stand when I'm working on it. Although the LT isn't difficult to centerstand, my GL1800 is much easier. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts