GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say, I have read enough reports about the K1600 on this site, that I really was expecting to be under-welmed. Oh Contrare! This bike is awesome and then some. I took it out for about an hour. Combined Highway and secondary roads. The first part was the slab and I was quite impressed.

The bike has a solid feel at speed. More importantly, I do not get the helmet buffeting that I get on the wing. I do really like the windshield. It has sort of a V-notch which lets me get a nice clean air stream on my helmet. The windshield is not as wide, so you get more air on your arms, but otherwise the air management is excellent.

Let's talk about the the handling... The bike feels extremely nimble and the steering input is quick and much more responsive then the wing. Very little input to the bars are required in order to get it to lean. The steering and suspension have a much tighter feel than the wing. The suspension was set to "Comfort", yet I thought I was on a sport bike.

The seating position is slightly forward, but not anywhere near the C14 connie that I recently road. I did take me a couple of tries before my right foot felt right with the rear brake. The Beemer's shifter and rear brake controls are tight to the engine.

The seat was generally comfortable, but certainly not as good as the wing.

The engine.... WOW! I love this engine. The in-line 6 has a very quick rev to it as well as an exhaust note that reminds me of an Indy Car. It pulls plenty strong and I had no issues with the Throttle By Wire.

Brakes, very strong Brembos. Did some parking lot u-turns and hard braking.
Handles great in a u-turn and feels almost flickable.

Bottom Line... This is one fun ride. The wing feels like a slug after getting off the K1600 GT

ME LIKEY!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Thanks for posting. I rode a GTL the other day. You are lucky (in my opinion) to have a GT demo bike near your. There are very few GT demos in the U.S.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I rode the GTL at Americade this week. Not enough time in the saddle to give a complete review, but.
It did feel very nimble, not top heavy at all. I rode it with a passenger and it was quite responsive. I really was surprised, pleasantly so on the seat height. I never really considered Beemers because of my inseam (or should I say lack of one). I was quite stable in this bike and could just about flat foot it.
The electric windshield is a great! I like to look over the shield but having the option to adjust it on the fly for foul weather or highway riding would be nice.
The reach for the bars was a little much for me but nothing risers could not fix.
I think BMW has a winner on its hand.

Also rode a Victory. Totally different feel and I think I will stick to 6 cylinders.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Thanks! I would love to try one, none around here. I have to go to Louisville or Indianapolis to find a dealer.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've been reading the road tests that come in motorcycle mags. It looks like a really nice machine. I still ride my VTX, and when I get ready to buy a real touring bike, that will definitely be on my short list, along with a Wing, of course.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't think anyone was "underwhelmed" with this bike it is, I'm sure, a pretty good engineering marvel and for what it is designed for probably excels well for what it does.

I think that the only comments on the "low" marks side were that some might find the fly by wire throttle a little iffy to get used to, passenger may not be as comfortable...stereo not as good.

I would think that given the right time I might even be interested in this bike but I am still a little prejudicial against it mainly for the scarcity of BMW dealers and service departments. But if you throw in that there are lot's of Honda dealerships but only so many "good" Honda dealerships that do good work on the Wing...it is probably a toss up.

But if you have a passenger...then I think the nod would go to a Wing but so far haven't really heard from any "long distance" BMW passengers yet so time will tell.

Remember...get the bike you will be happy with...if your SO rides with you get the bike both of you will be happy with.

Dennis

13 dtg KAF
15 dtg Dubai
16 dtg Home for good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts