GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally bit the bullet and sold my 2014 BMW K1600 GTL. It is/was a great bike. My biggest reason for making the switch was to get a lower CG bike for 2 up riding. I will still probably use my 1200 RT for solo riding here in the beautiful Texas hill country. I sold the K16 through craig’s list for $12,000. Trade in value at several dealers I checked was only $7-8K. Dealers sure make a killing on trade-in bikes. They could have easily sold that bike, probably for more than $12,000. I suspect they make significantly less on new bike sales.

I called Chris at Honda of Russellville and placed a $500 deposit on a white 2018 gold wing tour DCT. Am doing a fly & ride on Thursday to pick up the bike. The OTD price is $22485. I briefly considered the 2019 but essentially the same bike for $2000 more didn’t seem worth it. I will likely keep the bike for many years and therefore the resale difference shouldn’t be a big deal. I would appreciate any words of wisdom you may have regarding what I should look for or be aware of when I pick up the new bike in Russellville. I have read about the final drive oil being low on some of the 2018’s so I’ll be sure to check that. Thanks.

Mark

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I did the same thing in November and have not looked back. The Honda seat is better then the BMW seat but not by much.

·
Registered
994 Posts
When you leave HOR there is a nice little scenic "shortcut" back to Texas. Just take hwy 7 north all the way to Sand Gap and hang a left on 123. Take that down to Lamar merge onto 64 and take that to 21. Go north on 21 all the way to 16 and then turn left. Ride 16 over to 23 and then take a left and ride down the Pig Trail. Then take I-40.:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Check the paint carefully (you won't have a problem, but now is your chance in case you see a scratch from the bike being around for a year to resolve it)

- have them show you the emergency start procedure (and make sure it works).

- Ask them if there is a battery charge cord installed (do that before you fly in).

- have them show you how to get into the gas cap (seriously - a couple fun stories of ride and flys and then no idea how to fill the bike up)

- how to program home in the GPS and how to switch modes

- show you how to switch from Sport to Tour, etc (easy, but if you are not sure, ask them)

And then go have fun on the ride back home!

·
Registered
273 Posts
have them replace the original battery. even if you have to pay for it. many horror stories of battery failures, and I would not trust the original 2018 that may have been sitting for up to 2 years already, and who knows how many times the bike was started in the showroom, and if the original battery was properly kept fully charged?

I bought a 2018 last year in March, and had to have the original battery replaced (under warranty) within a few months of purchase. no problems since.

the last thing you want on your maiden voyage home is battery failure IMHO.

congrats on your new purchase, have a great ride home - the 2018 wing is AWESOME !!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Agree with all that lrider said. I picked up mine at HOR last August. They went through all of what he mentioned without my asking. Seemed to be their routine with all sales. Additionally they showed me the method to get in the bags using the spare key. Interestingly, they made ME do the procedures, which greatly impacts the memory neurons. I was very happy with the experience with JoLee. You will enjoy this bike immensely I suspect. Except the POS gps. I just added my old Garmin 595 last week.

Have a great ride home.

Oh, and take a phone picture of your key code. That is what you need to emergency start the bike without the fob. That way you always have it with you.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Its very exciting getting a new bike congrats on yours I also put a $500 deposit on the new Yamaha super tenere 700 which should arrive here in DEC 19 :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
Congrats. The new wing looks great in white. Read your manual

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Irhawk- I remember that name from my days on the BMW K1600 forum. Welcome. I went by Xwinger on that forum.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
Check the paint carefully (you won't have a problem, but now is your chance in case you see a scratch from the bike being around for a year to resolve it)

- have them show you the emergency start procedure (and make sure it works).

- Ask them if there is a battery charge cord installed (do that before you fly in).

- have them show you how to get into the gas cap (seriously - a couple fun stories of ride and flys and then no idea how to fill the bike up)

- how to program home in the GPS and how to switch modes

- show you how to switch from Sport to Tour, etc (easy, but if you are not sure, ask them)

Oil level check,
Rear drive oil check,
coolant check.
Make sure you get the FOB 9 digit code on the paper tag that comes with the FOB.
The metal tag is for the key.
Make sure the tire pressure monitor works.:smile2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you leave HOR there is a nice little scenic "shortcut" back to Texas. Just take hwy 7 north all the way to Sand Gap and hang a left on 123. Take that down to Lamar merge onto 64 and take that to 21. Go north on 21 all the way to 16 and then turn left. Ride 16 over to 23 and then take a left and ride down the Pig Trail. Then take I-40.:grin2::grin2::grin2:
Thanks for the tip. That looks like an interesting road. I may check it out, although due to time constraints i may have to take a more direct route. :crying:

- have them show you the emergency start procedure (and make sure it
- how to program home in the GPS and how to switch
- show you how to switch from Sport to Tour, etc (easy, but if you are not sure, ask

Great advice. Thanks. Just the kind of info i was looking for.

have them replace the original battery. even if you have to pay for it. many horror stories of battery failures, and I would not trust the original 2018 that may have been sitting for up to 2 years already, and who knows how many times the bike was started in the showroom, and if the original battery was properly kept fully charged?
!!
Chris said that they are bringing the bike in from a warehouse so i assume it hasn’t been sitting on the showroom floor for any length of time. I wonder if a bike that has been sitting in storage for a prolonged period of time will have battery issues?

Irhawk- I remember that name from my days on the BMW K1600 forum. Welcome. I went by Xwinger on that forum.
Hi Gene. Indeed that was me. I remember the ‘xwinger’ name as well. So you were an xwinger, and now you are a ‘winger’ again? ;)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hi Gene. Indeed that was me. I remember the ‘xwinger’ name as well. So you were an xwinger, and now you are a ‘winger’ again? ;)
The DCT was the draw. This plus the fact that Honda finally upgraded the suspension and electronics tho what the K1600 had. I also had an R1200RT after the K1600. I got that because I wanted a lighter bike than the K1600. Fortunately the new wing feels much lighter than my last wing. You will be pleased.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ditto on the battery. I don't imagine they will replace the battery with a new one, but at least make sure they fully charge it. Some dealerships don't take the time to do this. If they do not replace the battery, get an agreement that if it fails the dealership will somehow replace it with a new one. Mother Honda in my case would not replace a bad battery under warranty, even when the service manager of the dealership tells me he believes the battery was bad. Long story here posted elsewhere. Also, take some sort of cushion for that seat. I love my 2018 goldwing tour dct, but the seat will eat your butt after a couple of hours. My seat is now in the hands of Russell Day Long as today is my production day and they have it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The only difference in the '18 & '19 other than the price is 1 FOB vs 2. If they have them p/u 1 for around a hundred bucks, have them program it for you, turn it off and put it in the left side saddlebag. MUCH better ins than all that code crap. Use the key to get to the 2nd FOB and you're back in business. And if you're like me that will insure you never lose FOB #1 and it's battery in it lasts forever!:wink2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you speak to them about the extended factory warranty? Lots of information here about prices paid but easy to negotiate on the day you pick up the bike. I just have to ask are you all stating "out the door" pricing with title,reg and taxes paid? If so great job!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ditto on the battery. I don't imagine they will replace the battery with a new one, but at least make sure they fully charge it. Some dealerships don't take the time to do this. If they do not replace the battery, get an agreement that if it fails the dealership will somehow replace it with a new one. Mother Honda in my case would not replace a bad battery under warranty, even when the service manager of the dealership tells me he believes the battery was bad. Long story here posted elsewhere. Also, take some sort of cushion for that seat. I love my 2018 goldwing tour dct, but the seat will eat your butt after a couple of hours. My seat is now in the hands of Russell Day Long as today is my production day and they have it.
Already have a sheepskin cushion packed. An aftermarket seat will probably be in my future. I have had 3 RDL seats, a sergeant seat and a Corbin. The RDL’s were my favorite and still have one on my 1200 RT. However this time i may consider the Wingsoft upgrade, Since I now live fairly close to College Station, TX and could likely get it done much quicker. Have heard good things about the wingsoft seat.

The only difference in the '18 & '19 other than the price is 1 FOB vs 2. If they have them p/u 1 for around a hundred bucks, have them program it for you, turn it off and put it in the left side saddlebag. MUCH better ins than all that code crap. Use the key to get to the 2nd FOB and you're back in business. And if you're like me that will insure you never lose FOB #1 and it's battery in it lasts forever!:wink2:
Good to know. Thanks.

Did you speak to them about the extended factory warranty? Lots of information here about prices paid but easy to negotiate on the day you pick up the bike. I just have to ask are you all stating "out the door" pricing with title,reg and taxes paid? If so great job!!!!
I will ask about the extended factory warranty. May consider it if the price is right. The OTD price just means no additional dealer fees above the advertised price. I will have to pay tax, title and registration fee when I get the bike back to Texas.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Get the Navigation update

Ask the dealer to do the latest update for you. It helps with navigation and Bluetooth. Have them double check for the latest update, as my dealer said he did it and when we checked it was not done. So check for the ID code of the update and verify on your screen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ask the dealer to do the latest update for you. It helps with navigation and Bluetooth. Have them double check for the latest update, as my dealer said he did it and when we checked it was not done. So check for the ID code of the update and verify on your screen.
Good advice. Do you know what the ID code of the latest update is?

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
The bike has been sitting in a crate with the battery disconnected. It should be fine, all it might need is an overnight trickle charge to top it off. I agree about getting them to do the update for you. That should be standard practice on all bikes they sell.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts