GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity and as I was passing a local BMW dealer, today I got to ride the GTL version.
I only intended to go have a look see asked if okay to sit on bike and have a feel, was then invited to test ride the thing (when dealer realised mine was the GL parked outside).
I was hesitant at first as after reading the hype thinking this bike was going to blow me away and leave me wanting to own one.
Well sitting on the bike the suspension felt very plush and I imagined it would be lovely riding bumpy back roads in such comfort, starting the bike up it didn't sound as impresive as all the youtube videos suggest, and pulling away felt like screaming the nuts off the thing, the clutch did not engage until the leaver was nearly fully released and often tought I was in neutral.
Down the local bumpy back roads this thing felt like a bukaroo I tried all suspension settings but it felt horrible, if you think your wings suspension is harsh go and try the GTL.
The gearbox was clunky and made lots of strange noises plus the shaft drive felt more like a nasty rusty chain that needed about 2" of slack taking up.
Power is there but you feel you have to rev the engine to get there, on one occasion passing a slow truck in third gear it felt like it was never going to pick up.
To sum up this ride I had, I felt dissapointed and was glad to get back on my Wing, I could not ride the GTL all day like the wing and my missus would probably be sick such was the horrible ride quality, oh and the torque of the wing when you get back on board is amazing, any gear any speed, big handfull of throttle and its grunt city.
GL1800 for me every time awesome machine, don't take my word for it but try before you buy. :?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Choices

The world would be very boring without choices.

I rode the GTL several times. It is a great machine. Not my preference but still great.

No one bike does it all.

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
WOW! That does not seem right. I wonder why it was so lousy?

prs

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Interestingly enough, I rode my Goldwing about 150 miles today. Right smack in the middle of the ride I finally test rode a GTL myself. The suspension was less harsh on the GTL in either the normal or comfort setting, and probably about the same in the sport setting.

I liked the bike in many ways, but I will admit I was less impressed with the engine than I expected. It does not feel as torquey down low as my Goldwing, and not nearly as fast as my Concours. In a way I think my disappointment had more to do with 1) my expectations and 2) the fact the power curve is so flat that it probably doesn't feel as fast as it is.

The bike did handle great and there was a lot to like about it. I would still prefer it to my Goldwing if my wife is okay with the back seat. But I would not trade my Concours for it. Those impressions are exactly what I expected, btw.

·
Registered
394 Posts
GTL will be a nice motorcycle. According to BMWs marketing person, it is not designed to compete with the Gold Wing. Many will make the comparison, but it actually is in the class with the ST1300 and other sport tourers. Lots of stuff on the new beemer, but everyone with the LT, didn't automatically jump on the GTL bandwagon. As others have said, it's nice to have choices.
I'm happy with my Wing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really thought I was going to like the K, but it lacks low down grunt, and in fairness the roads I tested it on were pretty nasty had I rode on smooth roads it would have been better. However having owned an ST1300 prior to the wing I would say the Pan Euro is a better bike, instant low down grunt, very good at soaking up rough pavement and pretty fast for a heavy bike, also me being 6' 2" found the seat a bit low and knees were cramped, I should have hade a go on the GT version I suppose. :shrug:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Took a demo ride on the GTL at Americade two days ago. You can't be conclusive after a half hour ride, but my impression is that there's a lot of clunking and "lash" going on in the transmission. Compared notes with a friend who concurred. My other impression concerns the digital displays. There's so much going on that it's distracting. In fact the BMW rep alerted us to keep our eyes on the road and not on the displays.

Over all, my Wing fits me perfectly and the K1600GTL does not.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Just curious. How many threads have been opened about the K1600s on this forum? :joke:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Well, it is a motorcycle forum. Just because it is geared to Gl 1800's, doesn't mean it is only for those.

I haven't ridden a 1600 and probably won't. I don't think there is a BMW dealer within a hunderd miles. But some things are given, and have been pretty confirmed in the test rides that have been talked about.

It is an in line 6. An in line anything will live at a different RPM range than a flat 6, twin or V-four. Just is what it is.

Gadgets? well it is a BMW for crying out loud, of course it will have them. That is what the folks that buy them expect.

Suspension? That is a difficult one. It is a sport-sportier tourer. Suspension, good or bad will reflect that. I guess it is a "eye of the beholder" concept.

Comfort. An individual thing there too. I don't think I would like the seating. I think the Wing is snug after moving back a couple inches. I didn't think I could ride the K touring version, 1200 LT I think is what they called it.

It still sounds interesting. What one calls problematic, others don't blink at. Reliability and longevity are to be detrmined, so time will tell. It also sounds lile the OP may have been on a unit with a few issues. It was ademo bike, so probably hadn't been babied at all.

Have fun.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
But I would not trade my Concours for it.
Do you prefer the Concours straight up or is it because the K would cost more? In other words, if you forget about the price difference (I know, hard to do) would you <still> prefer the Kawasaki?

I've seen brand new Concours selling for as little as $13,800, which IMHO is one heck of a screaming deal......A K bike will be $10,000 more. Ouch.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I agree that folks should feel free to talk about other brands but have noticed chastisement when positive things have been said about some of them, most notably Harley Davidsons and BMWs, not to mention those who ride them.

I haven't yet ridden a K1600 either but have owned and ridden several BMW, H-D and Hondas, among others. They all have their strong and weak points, IMO.

Well, it is a motorcycle forum. Just because it is geared to Gl 1800's, doesn't mean it is only for those.

I haven't ridden a 1600 and probably won't. I don't think there is a BMW dealer within a hunderd miles. But some things are given, and have been pretty confirmed in the test rides that have been talked about.

It is an in line 6. An in line anything will live at a different RPM range than a flat 6, twin or V-four. Just is what it is.

Gadgets? well it is a BMW for crying out loud, of course it will have them. That is what the folks that buy them expect.

Suspension? That is a difficult one. It is a sport-sportier tourer. Suspension, good or bad will reflect that. I guess it is a "eye of the beholder" concept.

Comfort. An individual thing there too. I don't think I would like the seating. I think the Wing is snug after moving back a couple inches. I didn't think I could ride the K touring version, 1200 LT I think is what they called it.

It still sounds interesting. What one calls problematic, others don't blink at. Reliability and longevity are to be detrmined, so time will tell. It also sounds lile the OP may have been on a unit with a few issues. It was ademo bike, so probably hadn't been babied at all.

Have fun.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Although there is some lagitimate bashing that goes on on the board, 99.99% IMHO is thin skinned folks that take exeption to anyone saying anything out of a positive light about their favorite brand. That is usually followed up by a rash of unenlightened rhetoric that stirs a *%&# storm, and here we go.

I have failed to see most any of that in this particular thread. We can hope it doesn't come around.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
As a BMW owner, and a 500K mile GW six cylinder owner, there is an area that they are not able to be compared WARRANTY, 36K on the BMW, I have ridden that much in a year plenty of times.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
As a BMW owner, and a 500K mile GW six cylinder owner, there is an area that they are not able to be compared WARRANTY, 36K on the BMW, I have ridden that much in a year plenty of times.
BMW offers a +3 yr unlimited mile warranty if purchased during the origional warranty.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts