GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that it really matters for this inquiry but I ride a 2008.

I am about to pull-the-pin on an Innovv K2. I (intellectually) understand why mounting the front-facing camera just under the fairing nose and dead-centre above the front fender could be a very bad idea.

What I don't understand, though, is why upwards of 100% of installations choose to mount on the right-side of the bike...as opposed to the left-side.

Can anyone enlighten an as-yet darkened mind? Thanks.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Let's see if I can do images.
Directly under nose using GoPro arm to push forward and up:
dashcam fwd camera 2.jpg
dashcam fwd camera.jpg

Others show DVR on right trunk bulkhead, SOS button/mic on key panel and GPS antenna on top of right speaker housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I mounted my INNOVV K2 cameras on my 2019 DCT.
The front, as you suspect, is mounted on the right side......but it does not really matter at all. Just personal preference.
The cameras have such a wide view either side will work just fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I installed a K1 not long after I purchased my 2015 model. Made the (expensive) mistake of center mounting my camera above the front fender. With my Clearwaters, mounting left or right wasn't an option. After replacing my damaged front fender, :( I was looking for an alternative location and decided to integrate the camera into the lower piece of the front cowl. The new location has worked well. Before beginning the plastic surgery I checked the price of the piece I was going to cut for the camera just in case things went south. It was only $40 so I ordered a spare in case I decide to remove/replace the camera in the future. I think my install would have been much easier with the cylindrical K2 camera vs the K1 cube camera.

thumbnail.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
I riveted my camera directly under the nose and in the center of my rear fender. When I was crashed, the cameras picked up everything.

·
Administrator
3,931 Posts
Not that it really matters for this inquiry but I ride a 2008.

I am about to pull-the-pin on an Innovv K2. I (intellectually) understand why mounting the front-facing camera just under the fairing nose and dead-centre above the front fender could be a very bad idea.

What I don't understand, though, is why upwards of 100% of installations choose to mount on the right-side of the bike...as opposed to the left-side.

Can anyone enlighten an as-yet darkened mind? Thanks.
Just curious. Why wouldn't you want to mount it just under the front fairing nose? Seems like a logical place.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just curious. Why wouldn't you want to mount it just under the front fairing nose? Seems like a logical place.
It seemed logical to me too. I knew the mount would encroach the maximum fork travel a little bit...maybe an inch...and thought it would be ok. One night I hit a bump that fully compressed the front forks and subsequently smashed the front fender into the camera mount. $275 later (new front fender) I figured out it wasn't the best place.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just remember that if you crash, this device could become evidence in the crash. If you are exceeding the speed limit or reckless in your driving then it can be used to charge you or possibly denying insurance coverage. If you do crash and then decide to delete the recording there is the possibility you could be charged with destroying evidence. There is a responsibility to having these installed on your vehicle. Just a heads up.

With all that said, I have a dash cam in my truck and I figure it can be invaluable if a crash is not my fault. People lie like crazy when they cause a crash and will blame you.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Just remember that if you crash, this device could become evidence in the crash. If you are exceeding the speed limit or reckless in your driving then it can be used to charge you or possibly denying insurance coverage. If you do crash and then decide to delete the recording there is the possibility you could be charged with destroying evidence. There is a responsibility to having these installed on your vehicle. Just a heads up.

With all that said, I have a dash cam in my truck and I figure it can be invaluable if a crash is not my fault. People lie like crazy when they cause a crash and will blame you.

In terms of officials viewing your footage, at any time a law enforcement officer can request that you show them the recording on your dash cam. They cannot force you to do this though, it is entirely your choice.
In order to make you show them the footage, or allow them to take a copy of it, or view it themselves after seizure, any law enforcement agency will require legal consent through a subpoena or search warrant.
I have a dash cam on every vehicle I own....To many crazy nut-jobs out there.
......and if they find I'm at fault after viewing the video, so be it, then I deserve the consequences.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Law enforcement would need permission or a warrant to view the footage but that does not stop them from seizing the recording until they get it.
My post is a warning to folks that are just looking for cool footage of their riding and don't understand the responsibility associated with dash cams.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
......and if they find I'm at fault after viewing the video, so be it, then I deserve the consequences.
I tend to feel the same. Although, I'm not exactly 100% virtuous in this area all the time I'll take that low risk for the high potential reward.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts