GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your suggestions to Ride across. East to west and back? I have flown I 70, quick but forgettable to a fault. 50 , 36 or ?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I rode US-36 from Hannibal, MO to Strasburg, Colorado. Nice ride and no commercial trucks

Reactions: david vaughn

·
Registered
419 Posts
I rode US-36 from Hannibal, MO to Norton, Kansas then dropped southwest to I-70 since we were going to Colorado Springs. I was pulling a trailer and preferred to stay off the 80 mph interstates as long as possible. If you are a camper and if fits your schedule there is a park in Marysville, kansas that provides free camp sites. there is electric available at some sites. They also have the last surviving Pony Express stable in the country.
I wouldn't say you won't see any trucks on the route. There are some and when you combine them with the winds out there....... Just make sure you are on the white line when one is coming at you.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I’ve driven across 50 a few times over the years,it’s not bad if your not in a big hurry.
I do enjoy traveling through the rural small towns and seeing the farm belt.
Otherwise the speed limit across I-70 is 75mph and you can make fairly good time getting to the Ozarks or Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Commercial trucks on US-36

I rode US-36 from Hannibal, MO to Strasburg, Colorado. Nice ride and no commercial trucks
Wow. You were lucky. There are a significant number of trucks on 36. There are grain trucks as well as livestock trucks. Depending on the season, you may also see tractors and combines on the road. If that is not enough, you will occasionally see the huge self-propelled sprayers. They are so tall you could ride between the wheels with room to spare!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Wow. You were lucky. There are a significant number of trucks on 36. There are grain trucks as well as livestock trucks. Depending on the season, you may also see tractors and combines on the road. If that is not enough, you will occasionally see the huge self-propelled sprayers. They are so tall you could ride between the wheels with room to spare!
There were farm trucks and related equipment on US-36, as most of the route is through farmland, but no commercial tractor trailers like you find on I-70

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I've ridden/driven US 36 many times over the years. Sometimes you get "in the slot" with grain trucks, commercial vehicles and farm equipment. You will always have a breeze to differing degrees.

While I prefer mountain scenery, the flatness of the plains tends to bore me, but that's me and me only. The highlight of this trip across Northern Kansas is found on the east side of Marysville KS.

Penny's Diner.

It is well worth the stop. Whenever we plan a route and Marysville is on the way, we will always stop at this fun little diner.

Normally, we would travel on US 54 from the southwest corner in Kansas to KCMO, but that road is brutal with commercial vehicles. Good thing a lot of passing lanes are being put in.

- David

·
Registered
930 Posts
Normally, we would travel on US 54 from the southwest corner in Kansas to KCMO, but that road is brutal with commercial vehicles. Good thing a lot of passing lanes are being put in.

- David

:surprise: I bet travelling US 54 into the KCMO metro area was quite the feat, considering it stays to the bottom 1/4 of KS all the way through Fort Scott, KS, then crosses into Missouri to go through Nevada - a full 95 miles south of KCMO.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It's Kansas...does it really matter??? :grin2:

Actually I just traveled 54 from Wichita to Liberal last month and I had no commercial traffic issues. Very relaxing...other than the 120 MPH crosswind coming from the south.

Reactions: Monk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
It's Kansas...does it really matter??? :grin2:

Actually I just traveled 54 from Wichita to Liberal last month and I had no commercial traffic issues. Very relaxing...other than the 120 MPH crosswind coming from the south.
It is Kansas, you get crosswinds here no matter which direction you ride! :grin2: My dad also walked 5 miles uphill both going and coming to school every day!

I do confess that 120 MPH is a little high even for Kansas.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It is Kansas, you get crosswinds here no matter which direction you ride! :grin2: My dad also walked 5 miles uphill both going and coming to school every day!

I do confess that 120 MPH is a little high even for Kansas.
To be fair, there were big storms coming in and we were racing to get to Liberal. Later, those storms spawned tornadoes. I'm sure you remember those... :surprise:

Reactions: Monk
1 - 12 of 12 Posts