GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I primarily plan to order most of my parts online, but some things I just like to see in person before making a jump.

I live in Wichita but there are no dealers worthy of my shopping time here. I am looking for some place in the Kansas City area where a person could get things like helmets or other accessories that you want to view before buying.

P.S. I realize this is probably a sub board topic, but I haven't seen any activity there. I am hoping that someone on the main board will have some insight for me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I especially need a place to find some helmets right now. I ordered a couple cheap helmets from leatherup.com and they were so cheap and fit soooo bad that I sent them back. End result? By the time I paid shipping I could have gone out and bought the more expensive helmet off the shelf from one of our local stealers. I believe in profit, but I cannot support the economy all by myself. If I could find a place to buy at a fair price locally (Kansas City area) I would do so. Otherwise I will mail order everything that I can. These look good. I will be checking them out soon.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hub Cycle

I have to agree Hub Cycle has the kind of stuff you want to buy. They also offer an additional 10% off if you belong to any motorcycle orginization.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
on Helmets even if you buy on line first go to a place and try that brand on and wear it around for a spell to see if it fits your head. All our heads are shaped differently and what fits one want fit another. After you find what brand and model that works best for you then go home and order it on line.

same thing for any safety gear that you buy first try it on then order on line or from the store your choice;

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on Helmets even if you buy on line first go to a place and try that brand on and wear it around for a spell to see if it fits your head. All our heads are shaped differently and what fits one want fit another. After you find what brand and model that works best for you then go home and order it on line.

same thing for any safety gear that you buy first try it on then order on line or from the store your choice;
Ya, Thats what I originally set out to do but couldn't find a dealer with the HAWK helmet so I took a chance and ordered from leatherup. It was worth the money though for me to send it back. I wasn't impressed with the fit or the finish. Very poor quality. I'll stick to a better brand this time. Now, the caveat is this. If the local place has the helmet I want in stock and the price is fair, even if slightly higher than online, I will buy it there. I prefer to keep the money locally and support local businesses. After all, he is paying to stock the merchandise and we are going there to try it on. I have tried to do business locally as in Wichita, but I am not going to pay a premium price to a local business with an attitude of indifference.

I put both of these places on my list of places to go next weekend, weather permitting. Looks like I will have to take a fat wallet and maybe even buy a trailer to haul my junk home. :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Motorcycle Closeouts on North Oak.
Cycle Gear out in Lenexa.

You might also try Gene's Gallery in Springfield.

All three have web sites.

WGW

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Here we go......screw the dealer again. Let the dealer tie up his money stocking merchandise, waste his time trying to get you fitted right and then go buy somewhere else. And don't start preaching about the so called "Stealers" out there, ya there are some dealers that are trying to rob you on every purchase, just like in every other business, but the majority of shops are trying to make a living just like you do.

OK, who's going to be first to make a post justifying screwing the dealer every chance you get?????????

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here we go......screw the dealer again. Let the dealer tie up his money stocking merchandise, waste his time trying to get you fitted right and then go buy somewhere else. And don't start preaching about the so called "Stealers" out there, ya there are some dealers that are trying to rob you on every purchase, just like in every other business, but the majority of shops are trying to make a living just like you do.

OK, who's going to be first to make a post justifying screwing the dealer every chance you get?????????
Not trying to be an ARSSE here but OMG WAS THAT REALLY NECESSARY? Maybe you should read the posts before you start hitting the reply button. I suggest that when your kid gets home you have them read the entire thread for you so you will understand the entire conversation.

And to be entirely clear here: I am not at all opposed to giving my business to the local dealer but when they exhibit the same stupid qualities you did in your post they don't deserve to make a living. Jmho.

No disrespect meant to the senior member, but I don't need your social analysis in determining where I am going to spend my money. If a dealer wants to earn my business they can step up to the plate and earn my business. If they wanna be a stealer then I will go elsewhere and watch them fail.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I agree, I will give my local dealers every chance to sell me equipment. I also realize they will probably need to charge more than the web based folks, due to overhead.

BUT
I am not willing to spend 25% or more extra! I am not willing to give full price for something they have to order because they don't have it in stock. If they are just handling paperwork, it is not worth the 30-40% normal markup. If it has to be ordered, I can do that myself.

I guess I am lucky as my local (50 miles away) is a very good dealer and is priced close to anyone else. If they don't have what I want, Hal usually gets the order.

Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I agree, I will give my local dealers every chance to sell me equipment. I also realize they will probably need to charge more than the web based folks, due to overhead.

BUT
I an not willing to spend 25% or more extra! I am not willing to give full price for something they have to order because they don't have it in stock. If they are just handling paperwork, it is not worth the 30-40% normal markup. If it has to be ordered, I can do that myself.

I guess I am lucky as my local (50 miles away) is a very good dealer and is priced close to anyone else. If they don't have what I want, Hal usually gets the order.

Just my $0.02 worth.
or 40% or 60% or more plus sales tax, another 9%

and then most of the time, they say--we can order it--

ya, so can eye

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Not trying to be an ARSSE here but OMG WAS THAT REALLY NECESSARY? Maybe you should read the posts before you start hitting the reply button. I suggest that when your kid gets home you have them read the entire thread for you so you will understand the entire conversation.

And to be entirely clear here: I am not at all opposed to giving my business to the local dealer but when they exhibit the same stupid qualities you did in your post they don't deserve to make a living. Jmho.

No disrespect meant to the senior member, but I don't need your social analysis in determining where I am going to spend my money. If a dealer wants to earn my business they can step up to the plate and earn my business. If they wanna be a stealer then I will go elsewhere and watch them fail.
I read the entire thread and it's very clear that you want to go to the dealer and let him bust his b***s, waste his time and money educating you on the products he has for sale, so you can get a lower price on the net. If you want to leave the middle man out of the deal, then stay out of his store.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read the entire thread and it's very clear that you want to go to the dealer and let him bust his b***s, waste his time and money educating you on the products he has for sale, so you can get a lower price on the net. If you want to leave the middle man out of the deal, then stay out of his store.

So what you are saying is you can read but your comprehension level is lacking? Just to be perfectly clear here, the retail store is NOT the middle man. If you were running the store I would have no problem staying out of it because stupid people annoy me tremendously. You have obviously missed the entire context of the post and I do not have time to drag out the crayons and draw you a picture. I refuse to let you drag me down to your level and beat me with experience.
Have a great day! I'm going shopping.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
CBXMan did you ever think that in the grand scheme of things that what you think doesn't matter

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

Why not go on line and try on the helmet and leave the dealer that you have no intention of buying from alone. Justify and sugar coat it any way you want to, but you're still screwing the dealer. I bet you even feed him some line of crap about coming back later to get the product when you know you're not going to. Which can best be described as an untruth. Maybe "let me check with the wife and I'll get back to you".

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I primarily plan to order most of my parts online, but some things I just like to see in person before making a jump.

I live in Wichita but there are no dealers worthy of my shopping time here.[/quote]

No dealers in all of Wichita. Makes one wonder where the problem actually lies........

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most of the Wichita dealers started out in Kentucky. They all have difficulty reading and comprehending. They believe in retail plus pricing and they think customers owe them business just because they set up shop locally.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts