GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Rockies Gold starting in a few days, thought I would pass along what I have seen this week.
Kansas has recently raised speed limit to 75 mph on interstates. I traveled on I-70, I-135, and I-35 this week for work.
The highway patrol is out in force enforceing the speed limit. I passed through at least 8 speed enforcement checks while on this trip. At every one of them, one or more people were recieving fast driving certificates. Looks to me like if you push the limit to 80, you will recieve a ticket.
The highway patrol is also setting up two checks close together. After you pass through one safely, you will find another 5 to 10 miles down the road. So just when you thought it was safe to push the limit again, oops. :eek:
I did not get pulled over, as I kept the speed at 75 or less. I do not have cruise control in the work truck, and my foot is still programed for 70.
Just a word of caution to all you fellow riders who may be traveling through Kansas on your way to Colorado.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
With Rockies Gold starting in a few days, thought I would pass along what I have seen this week.
Kansas has recently raised speed limit to 75 mph on interstates. I traveled on I-70, I-135, and I-35 this week for work.
The highway patrol is out in force enforceing the speed limit. I passed through at least 8 speed enforcement checks while on this trip. At every one of them, one or more people were recieving fast driving certificates. Looks to me like if you push the limit to 80, you will recieve a ticket.
The highway patrol is also setting up two checks close together. After you pass through one safely, you will find another 5 to 10 miles down the road. So just when you thought it was safe to push the limit again, oops. :eek:
I did not get pulled over, as I kept the speed at 75 or less. I do not have cruise control in the work truck, and my foot is still programed for 70.
Just a word of caution to all you fellow riders who may be traveling through Kansas on your way to Colorado.
Thanks, Craig, I'm headed that way for sure next Monday!

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Now is that 75 on all interstates, or just the Turnpike?

FWIW......I run about 8 over on the HW, and have never EVER had a problem with the KS Highway Patrol

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You are just as guilty as those drivers who flash their headlights to warn oncoming traffic of speed enforcement and according to some on this board....you should get a ticket for interfering with police work (just like they do in Flaw Reeduh).

In the future please refrain from divulging such critical information because it takes that much longer to meet the ticket quota (which does not exist of course!!!)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
75 on all interstates, turnpike or otherwise. At least in rural areas. But Kansas is mostly rural anyway.
Yes, has been a rule of thumb for a long time. 5 to 7 mph over was usually safe. Just my observation, that al least for a while, that may not be the case in Kansas.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Utah's State Patrol/Highway Patrol was going to do the same thing on a section of I-15 where the State Legislature authorized a test of an 80mph speed limit, south of SLC (considerable distance south). No "9 over, or less" slack being cut through the test section. 80 mph max, no "ifs" "and's" or "but's".

·
Registered
159 Posts
Kansas speed

Thanks for the heads up will be headed out on Sat will try for Hays Sat nightwill be in Montrose on Thursday (vac planned in Sept and was to be in Montrose on Thursday anyway). So will be there on Friday also. Then off to Aztec N.M. on Sat bro lives there. Int 70 out and back.

Robert DePew
Vandalia Illinois

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Back when the speed limit went do to 55 to save gas, some communities outside of Milwaukee would ticket for 1 mph over. And the judge was very strickt. You also were required to show up in "court" to be criticised. :eek:

Thankfully I heard about them before going through there kingdom. ;)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I was coming back from Bonneville yesterday and I ran I-70 from Colorado to Missouri with the cruise set on 82 (GPS) and no one bothered me. I did notice that the 18 wheelers were behaving themselves very well.

·
Banned
350 Posts
75 is common (even a few 80's) in the West, guess it is spreading to the middle west

I've driven I-70 across Kansas many times; should not even be a speed limit; flat, boring, windy and hot. A culture-less wasteland.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Utah's State Patrol/Highway Patrol was going to do the same thing on a section of I-15 where the State Legislature authorized a test of an 80mph speed limit, south of SLC (considerable distance south). No "9 over, or less" slack being cut through the test section. 80 mph max, no "ifs" "and's" or "but's".
I believe that 80 mph section is still there, it's between Beaver and Fillmore. I haven't been down that way lately though.

·
Banned
334 Posts
You are just as guilty as those drivers who flash their headlights to warn oncoming traffic of speed enforcement and according to some on this board....you should get a ticket for interfering with police work (just like they do in Flaw Reeduh).

In the future please refrain from divulging such critical information because it takes that much longer to meet the ticket quota (which does not exist of course!!!)
No quota, we can write as many violators as we want.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Good grief, 75 mph is fast enough. At least for me.

You can have a 150 mph speed limit, and people would still go 160

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
You guys need to see what 75MPH speed limits look like on two-laned federal highways, like US-67 between San Angelo and Fort Stockton, TX. Those oil field workers really know how to burn that fuel in those one ton dually trucks - and bigger!

Then, jump up on that big road (I-10) & do 80 from Fort Stockton to near El Paso...cruise set at 80 to keep from getting run over & I was getting passed. Yeah, that was about my steady-state limit; fuel mileage really starts to suck at those speeds.

Here's a graphic representation...from Wikipedia.

·
Registered
569 Posts
75 is common (even a few 80's) in the West, guess it is spreading to the middle west

I've driven I-70 across Kansas many times; should not even be a speed limit; flat, boring, windy and hot. A culture-less wasteland.
I understand the state tree is a telephone pole :wrong:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I believe that 80 mph section is still there, it's between Beaver and Fillmore. I haven't been down that way lately though.
Yes, it is! Never been stopped on it though!:coffee1:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts