GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a kit or something simple to keep the fog lights and headlight off until engine is started. I have this on the Kaw. Concours from the factory and I think it saves alot on the battery. I saw Fred's fix but that goes beyond my wiring savvy, capabilities. Someone make a plug and play kit for this. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Your headlights are OFF when you start the bike,when you press the start button a relay cuts off the lights, if you make it a habit to start the bike in neutral with your finger on the start button then turn the key on they will never be on while starting the bike, is and easy habit to get into have done it on all my 1800's.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mudbug, That's what I was looking for, something simple and no wiring. Great idea and I'm going to get in the habit of starting engine that way. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
On the vtx I need to wait untill the EMC cycles and sets current conditions.
ie: wait utill the injector light goes off.
Does the Wing need to reset the EMC ??

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
No but the first time you forget to put in Neutral you wont forget again :!:

You got that right..But if you got people around when you do it-your never going to hear the end of it either!! :22yikes:

BTW: I just went and tried this out,(What Mudbug said)
And the bike turned over a few more revoluations before it actually started,Due to the fuel pump taking a few more seconds to prime the fuel injectors..
If you can live with that??--Then you're good to go..

·
Vendor
21,429 Posts
There is no plug and play kit that I know of, but you can buy the Honda relay and install it in a blank spot in the relay box and make your own like I did. It really isn't that hard. All you need is a relay, some spade connectors of the right size, wire, and two diodes. Total cost for parts is less than $10.

I would be happy to walk you through the process if you need help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Evidently mine wasn't done right because the switch isn't wired up for the fog lights. Funny thing when I got the bike I thought the switch was stuck so took it apart and no wiring or switch, just the front panel. Probably should get that hooked up also.
I might try to wire it up like Fred H. diagram if I can find all the necessary connections. It's kind of confusing under the seat.
I also tried Mudbugs way to start on a trip into Corpus Christi and it worked fine except when I have it in gear and then nothing. Turn the key back off, put it in neutral and good to go. Thanks everyone for your help. Jim

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
You got that right..But if you got people around when you do it-your never going to hear the end of it either!! :22yikes:

BTW: I just went and tried this out,(What Mudbug said)
And the bike turned over a few more revoluations before it actually started,Due to the fuel pump taking a few more seconds to prime the fuel injectors..
If you can live with that??--Then you're good to go..
wont the extra turns and pump action be as costly to the battery as a few seconds of light?

just a thought is all.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Jim, There is a reason why the lights come on first.

Manufactors could build it differently. The battery needs to wake

up before being hit by the starter. A heavy equipment service-rep

explained that in cold weather always turn on the lights and electric

fans and (engage the glow plugs for the full [time?] then start.

Said " It warms the battery and will provide more starting AMPS.

I'm no spert but I did stay in a motel 3 last year.

And if oil pressure closes the lighting relay --- what will happen

If you need to coast as with an engine out.

Counterintuitive.

M

·
0 Posts
Am I missing something here?
Why would you want to turn the lights off before starting the bike.
When I push the start buttonthe engine starts in ln less than two seconds. :lol:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
:flg:.

If the Fog lights are installed correctly, they will not even come on if the visibility is over 1320 feet. So that should not be a load on starting.

And it does take a couple seconds to charge up the full pump.

Fred H's circuit would work very well and not cost a arm and a leg but I have a question.

For the first 5.5 years I had the bike, It did just fine, then one day I hit the button and it just grunted. Had to buy a battery and it is still going very well, So, my question is.. How much longer would my battery have lasted had it been modified to keep lights off until after engine start ?

Thank you in advance !!

JMHO :cool:

:flg:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts