GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, found evidence of a mouse in my trunk. Threw EVERYTHNG out! No sign of mice in saddlebags or under seat. How can I keep this from happening AGAIN?

:frown2:

By the way, the bike is just back from having the brake recall done and my charger lead is now missing off the battery and suddenly I have mice. Could the mechanic have left something off or open on the back of the bike (since they LOST the charger lead)?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If they're in the trunk I'll bet they set up residence in the air filter as well. That could be an fugly mess. If you have access to a bore scope, you can feed the camera up through the air intake under left pouch and inspect the airbox and see if those PITA 's are in there. Much easier than ripping it apart unless you intend on changing air filter anyways.

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
Rumor has it that a dryer sheet tucked in the trunk works, that they don't like the smell.:shrug:

Point made above about checking the air filter still applies.

They eat wiring. So need to kill 'em for sure.

Reactions: luvdiving

·
Registered
539 Posts
Dryer sheets is what I use, if it don't work for the mice it at least makes it smell good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
Always had the problem - dryer sheets didn't work. Mothballs didn't work. Found a nest full of babies in my trunk. �� Then I started leaving it open. No more problem. I guess the little buggers like their privacy.

Shiv

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would like to know how a mouse can get into a closed trunk? I have looked in mine and found no openings big enough for a ant to crawl through.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Always had the problem - dryer sheets didn't work. Mothballs didn't work. Found a nest full of babies in my trunk. �� Then I started leaving it open. No more problem. I guess the little buggers like their privacy.

Shiv

I have found several nests over the years in my trunk....including twice the tiny baby mice. They will chew up maps and paper towels left in the trunk as well as good driving gloves. I also tried dryer sheets unsuccessfully as well as making a huge mistake one winter season. I put small bowls of mothballs in my trunk and in each saddlebag. It took me more than a month the following spring to get the smell out.

I have cats and dogs as well as the neighbors animals so I don't put out poison....I just catch them in my homemade bucket trap and walk over to a neighbors I'm not fond of and dump the live critters out behind his storage shed. I've stopped counting but I've been catching a couple every day or two...one night the whole family showed up and I caught nine of them...they do like my peanut butter.

If you haven't had it done the next air filter change have stainless mesh wrapped around the end of the air intake snorkles. That will solve that problem but as one other poster said they also love Goldwing wires.
Allen

·
Registered
322 Posts
I found mouse droppings and a chewed up map one time. Since then I place a butter dish with moth balls in the trunk, and have not had any problems.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

Shiv
I agree and use this trick when the bike is in the closed (warm) shop...I never had a problem with them when the bike is stored in the outside (open) shed.. There is plenty of room for the little devils to get in around the latch handles bottom rear of the box.

·
Registered
21,255 Posts
I tried dryer sheets in trunk, mice chewed tip of one finger off one of my favorite gloves, they also chewed the dryer sheets and map.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the air filters changes when the LBS did the rear brake recall--just a few weeks ago. Hope those darned rodents aren't in there already.

Would someone please post a cellphone foto of where to install air vent screens? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I have heard that they hate peppermint oil. Has to be the real stuff, not artificial flavoring. I keep the bike in a small garage that's unheated and a box fan constantly blowing at the base of the bike to keep condensation away. So far there's been no problem (knock on wood) with the little bastards in the bike. Maybe they don't like the wind from the fan....maybe they don't populate areas that aren't heated and no food? I don't know, but there are also those mouse bait poison things that I have two of them next to the wall. That doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I had the air filters changes when the LBS did the rear brake recall--just a few weeks ago. Hope those darned rodents aren't in there already.

Would someone please post a cellphone foto of where to install air vent screens? Thanks.
Place the screen over the ends of the airbox intake snorkels and I used hot glue to keep them on.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I also have looked in my trunk I see no where a mouse could get inside....Also with the lid closed...I put a bright light inside
closed the lid turned the garage lights off and saw NO LIGHT...

John

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have heard that whole cloves works very well to keep them away. Just place them in the toe of old stockings and and place them in trunk, saddle bags and glove box . The best part is they smell way better than moth balls and even dryer sheets.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have an idea on mesh for the trunk.... If you feel under the tail light molding and move over to the center panel, you will find the holes that you need to screen off. Remove the center panel to shape and place the mesh on each side. The opening you are closing up is almost big enough to push through an I-pod nano. The "I-plug" goes through with plenty of room to spare, so the holes are plenty big for vermin getting up under the trunk at the seat and over to that opening. There is a hole at the bag lid that is big enough for one to get through near the bag tail light. Not sure if they will be able to get to that one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts