GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shuddered when I read the posts about mice nests in the air cleaners. Since I had the top off I figured I might as well take care of this too. I removed the intakes and checked to make sure the air cleaner was still ok. I then purchased a piece of aluminum gutter guard and cut pieces to fit the intakes. A few zip strips hold them in place. Less than $2.00 and a few minutes later.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jim, Dang it, I have enough chores to do. But I guess one more is not too bad. Good fix for what could be a nightmare.

Thanks
Bulldog

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Looks good Jim...but, is that a little mouse peeking out? :lol:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Your fix looks good but an even bigger concern is that they can still be getting up inside chewing away on all those pretty wires instead of the air cleaner....mice just love to do things like that unfortunately. :cry:

I was one of the last ones to post about the mice problem in my air cleaner and did a similar fix as your picture shows except I screened off the opposite ends of the intake tubes with 1/4" mesh hardware cloth. and used wire to secure them in place instead of zip-ties.

Now I'm concentrating on doing everything I can think of to eliminate the "source" of the problem including lots of poison and traps. Will also be looking to plug all potential entrances to the storage space where I keep my GL.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but I firmly believe we have to do all
we can to keep these little trouble makes totally in check.

Greyhound

·
Registered
939 Posts
Be carful with mouse poison. If your dog gets into it it could be fatal to the dog. I almost lost a dog that way. I know people that have.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Is it easily removable when in place?

If I did this, I wouldn't be able to check the air filter by looking up the snorkel with an inspection mirror and flashlight... :wink:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mrgl02 said:
Is it easily removable when in place?

I did this, I wouldn't be able to check the air filter by looking up the snorkel with an inspection mirror and flashlight... :wink:
Not really! Guess you will have to make friends with a Navy seal and get one of those fancy cameras they have that they poke up through floors :lol:

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
looks like an easy fix that should have been considered at the factory, maybe aftermarket vendors will jump on this oppertunity.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
The mesh might interfer with air delivery. The hot rod aftermarket air flow sensors have the mesh removed and use smaller wires internally. Not sure if it has any perf gains. Looks like it will keep the mice out tho. I use moth balls and 2 farm cats, they kill and eat most small critters. :)

I

·
0 Posts
The mouse is an amazing little critter, dont know how effective your mesh is gonna be, if you can poke a pencil thro the hole then he can get thro also. :(

·
Registered
307 Posts
Cats. That's the answer. few years ago, my wife started feeding a cat that just showed up one day.............. well now we are feeding 10-15 of them. We live in the country and the city folks drive out this way and drop off their cats to get rid of them. Needless to say, I never see a mouse. Cats, and kittens at times, yep, but never a mouse. So if the catswill stay away from my GL1800 life is good. :wink:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Moth Balls

If you can put a few moth balls in areas you want to keep the little pointy nosed stinkers away from, you should get good results. I had serious problems with mice getting into the ATV and caught them, early on, in the 1500. The moth balls worked after that.

Most winters I ride often, but this one and last year's has kept me off the road for a month at a crack. I guess I'll put down some moth balls tomorrow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Keeping Mice Away

I recently read a fact sheet about Bounce Laundry Softener Sheets that claimed (among other things) to keep mice away by laying them around the bike. Apparently, there's something in the sheets that mice don't like. Just a FYI...

Other uses:

Repels Mosquitoes
Eliminates Static Electricity on TV and Computer screens
DIssolves soap scum from shower doors (just wipe)
Freshens air in car, wastebasket, hamper, etc.
Eliminates static on venetian blinds if used to wipe

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a mouse get into my heated garage last winter and have his way with two of my bike. First I found where he had eaten the wiring to the tilt sensor into, some wires in a main harness and one battery cable on my Valkyrie. I was able to fix this for about 120.00 with parts from Hal. Next one day while riding my 1800 I noticed the ABS light wouldn't go out, but brakes seemed to work ok. I figured something had gone wrong with the ABS system, so I took it to the dealer for a will warrenty work. Couple days later he called said I needed to come by the shop, he needed to show me something. When I walled into the shop there was my bike looking like a total rebuild. Way down low in the center of the bike is the speed sensor for the ABS. Guess who moved in? Eat the sensor wires and some of the main harness. Parts and labor $1,500.00. Got the moth balls this year, seems to have worked so far.

Panther

1 - 16 of 16 Posts