GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Interesting

ddking,

Just up the road in Dalton, GA - looks like a good idea to me if the price is right. I could see having these for emergency use vs. every day riding. If I can find a supplier I will purchase some for testing.

Thanks for the "heads-up"!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
DDK, yeah i use the hand & pocket warmers below about 35 dgs, or when i'm out for extended rides in cold weather & they work great. Short rides, less than 50 miles, i just try to get in & out before the REAL pain sets in.
These warmers are only good for about 4-8 hrs, so have to be replaced every day, where the Gerbings last for years, so yeah the Gerbings, which i don't have, are better & probably do a better job of keepng the whole body comfortable. I buy 'em @ WallyWorld, small one's about $5,lg ones about $6 for a pack of 6 for the small & 3 for the large
Doesn't get REAL cold here in Virginia, but i use 'em & they work very well.
the hobo
P.S. i guess i'm a wuss, 'cause when it's REAL cold i don't ride :oops:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I've used them before and they work but are a pain to use after a while. Plus if you stop and go into a building, etc you start to burn up unless you take them out. Absolutely no control over amount of heat or no way to turn it off for short periods of time.
They work in a pinch but that's it....................

IMHO,
The Gerbings is expensive but lasts a long time and works just as advertised.............Excellent. You have total control of the amount of heat and you can turn it off/unplug when going inside for short stops.
I've got the Gerbings jacket liner, gloves, and socks. This combination works great keeping you toasty warm for temps colder than you would ever want to ride anyway.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
you can use them for a couple hours then turn them off by sealing them in a ziploc bag, with no air they will stop making heat. Before I had Gerbings heated clothing I used the heat max type heaters often and they helped a lot. Toss a couple in the bottom of a sleeping bag works well too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts