GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those of you who have passengers that take pictures using their phones, etc., do they use a tether or something to keep the phone safe if it accidentally slips out of their hands?

When my wife and I ride, she wants to take pictures while we are riding, but is afraid of dropping her phone.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Nope...but I'd bet that if she were to bounce her cell phone off the road one time, she'd never do that again. :mrgreen:

Certain brands of phones have available aftermarket cases which have tethers, but then you'd have to figure out best place to tie the tether to in order to do other things with her hands.

Like rub my shoulder or neck, for example. :thumbup:

...or, to be able to put the phone back into her jacket pocket when done taking pictures or sending text messages.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I would think you could use a simple lanyard like people use for security passes and adapt the clip end to the phone case.

I did drop my phone at 78 mph about an hour east of Colby KS on I-70 traveling from CA to FL. I looked in the weeds for an half an hour but no joy. I don't do that anymore.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
With current smart phones costing north of $1000 I think any lanyard and a Otter box or similar case would be the minimum protection everyone would invest in to protect their investment. I know women don’t like the look but men don’t like the cost of replacement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Me Lady has a phone case that clips to a neck ribbon, like coach whistles have. She got it on EEEeebay. Works great. She can't possibly drop the phone and takes photo's all the time when we're riding. She also has fingerless riding gloves to work the phone-camera.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Pro tip - with a fairly recent Android phone in standard configuration you can probably get faster pictures, even single-handedly, by pressing the power button twice in rapid succession to open the camera app (you don't have to unlock the phone first), and then pressing the volume down button to take the picture.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have a $40 camera from WalMart that has a lanyard connected. It can take video and stills at a reasonable pixel. Simple USB connection to computer and I can message or attach jpg files to anything. It also connects via wifi.

And I don't get as upset about the $40 phone as I would a cell phone - after all I have my contacts with phone numbers, text messages, and other messengers on the phone that I don't need on a camera.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I keep an old phone (Samsung Android) around that I take fishing (open water or ice), and other activities where I could lose/damage my current inexpensive smartphone. Don't need the inconvenience of losing and having to replace my working phone. The old one(s) takes great pics and while it's not able to use for talking on, it will email and/or Bluetooth pics to another of our devices. If I drop it down a hole in the lake ice it's no big deal, I have more old phones for the next episode. Of course, since I don't care much it has yet to get lost/damaged.
Last month on the return leg of our UP of Michigan trip the new owner of my prior ST1300 had his iPhone on a dash mount of questionable quality. All week it stayed there to our amazement. Until the final 50 mile run home in the dark. Off it came and gone. Pitch dark in the middle of nowhere and can't be found. The next morning he went back with another working phone and was able to locate it. Undamaged between the shoulder of the road and ditch. But, no more phone mount on the dash for Vic!
But, I degress. The question was how to keep a phone "safe". The best way seems to keep it in a zipped pocket and not use it. Next best seems to be a lanyard or string of some sort.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My wife got one for her phone, hangs around her neck and has a clear case. We stopped for gas and the female proprietor saw it and really chastised her for riding with something around her neck.... Guess it’s possible bad things could happen in a crash..?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My wife got one for her phone, hangs around her neck and has a clear case. We stopped for gas and the female proprietor saw it and really chastised her for riding with something around her neck.... Guess it’s possible bad things could happen in a crash..?

A crash is a bad thing in itself.
Wonder what advice she gave to those only wearing shorts, tank top and flip flops?

Reactions: Glockjock
1 - 11 of 11 Posts