GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this board. Looking to buy a Goldwing in the Spring. I now ride a V-Star 1100. I sat on a Goldwing a few days ago and could not set flat footed. I'm 5' 7". I was thinking if I was out in town, at a stop light would this be a problem. What if I was going up a hill and had to stop. Is there an adjustment that would lower the bike? Can I set up a GW to make it user friendly for me? What other questions do I need to ask myself? Thanks Tony

'

·
Registered
149 Posts
I ride with a woman who rides her own GL1800 and has been doing it for 3 years. Before that she rode a Valkerye. She is 5'4". You can set up the bike to suit you.

·
Registered
872 Posts
For starters, one of the most obvious places would be to adjust the rear suspension.
That just may lower the bike enough to give a rider the confidence he needs until he becomes more familiar with the Wing.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Tony, I am 5' 4" (on a good day :lol: ) with about a 24" inseam. I have not touched flat footed on a bike since my old Hodaka Ace 100. I am on my fourth Wing (new 84 GL1200, new 88 GL1800, used 1977 GL1000, new GL1800) and have had several bikes prior to that. I would recommend that if you get the Wing take a week or so to get used to it then take a MSF rider improvement course. This will improve your comfort level, confidence and your ability with the Wing. The Wing is a very well balanced motorcycle and will have a different feel if your coming off of a cruiser.
The Wing is a great bike for around the block or around the country and you can't beat it for two up riding.

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Get tall boot soles.

·
Registered
295 Posts
zaT111 said:
I have not touched flat footed on a bike since my old Hodaka Ace 100.
A Hodaka Ace 100 was my first bike. $409.00 new. Bought it when I was 16 with my paper route money. Loved that bike. I had one of the rare black ones. It sure was eye catching with that chrome tank/black frame.
Sold it to a kid who put straight gas in it without any oil. Currently have an 07 wing on order.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Keeping the suspension set at 0 and wearing logger style boots (thick soles and heel) did the trick for me. If that doesn't work, an upholstery shop can take out some of the foam from the seat to lower it.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
kymagred said:
I was thinking if I was out in town, at a stop light would this be a problem. '
So, if you stay in town, this would NOT be a problem ? :D
Problem solved ! Lots of good advice above. You'll do fine.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Wish I were tall like you :lol:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I am 5' 8" tall with short legs and a long upper body. My inseam is about 29 1/2 to 30". If I scoot forward on the seat of my GW when coming to a stop, my feet reach the ground flat. However, there are times when I am concerned about losing my balance when stopped or when attempting to turn at very low speed. It does not take much leaning when sitting still for the Wing to be difficult to keep upright. Don't ask how I know. :roll: :oops:

Will installing a seat like the Ultimate help put me in a little lower position so my feet reach the ground better? I had an Ultimate Low Rider on my 05 VTX 1300 and loved it. When I made a 7K trip on it in Jul-Aug I never had a moment of discomfort. I do not know if the Ultimate seat for the GW is as great as that for the X.

BTW, I will take the MSF ERC (again) as soon as available. I completed the course in May and it really helped improve my confidence, but I had the X at that time. Have only been riding since late Jul 05 but have ridden over 25,000 miles thus far. Have had my 05 GW for seven weeks and ridden about 2,500 miles on it.

Other suggestions??? Thanks and ride safely always. :)

Todd

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Sagebrush said:
I ride with a woman who rides her own GL1800 and has been doing it for 3 years. Before that she rode a Valkerye. She is 5'4". You can set up the bike to suit you.
Sage, can you suggest some ways to set up the Wing to accomplish this, please? :?

Thanks. :)

Todd

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Some good suggestions above. Here's mine: Just slide your butt over to the left and put your foot down. Of course, keep the bike vertical when you do it. The right foot should stay on the brake.

If you need to straighten your leg, do it while you're rolling.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm only 5'5" with a 27" inseam. I use thick soled boots, they help a little, but still can't flat foot unless I slide all the way forward on the seat. I've got about 3500 mi on the bike without any problems. Just be aware of the surface you are stopping on. Watch out for oil, sand, and high crowned roads. You can do it, go for it!

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
I has a Hodaka Super Rat 100-the power band was on or off no inbetween
what a revver
memories

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Ive heard of many other short riders getting a seat custom made for them that takes some height out of the seat making you lower to the ground by a little bit. Might help.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
If ZAT and I can ride the Wing, just about anybody can.

Both Zat's parents and mine were very kind. When we were born, our Parents told the good Lord to save on the manufacturing and give it to someone else...LOL

24 1/2" inseam and I throw the bike around pretty good. The GL1800 seat is about as low as it gets in a full size tourer.

No modifications to my seat, suspension, boots or the highways that I ride on.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
kymagred said:
... I sat on a Goldwing a few days ago and could not set flat footed.
When you tried it, was the Wing on the centerstand? Or, perhaps the rear suspension was adjusted to the high side?

Anyway, it sounds to me like you should go for it! I see a lot of guys riding Wings that can't put both heels on the ground at the same time and they do fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sagebrush wrote:

Sage, can you suggest some ways to set up the Wing to accomplish this, please?
Most of the benefit that made the bike fit her smaller size came from two accessories. First Reg Risers, the new style that moved the handlebars way back and narrowed the space between the grips so she doesn't have to lean her body in order to press the handlebars to the max. The second was a Corbin "shorty" seat that move her up toward the handle bars and lowered the seat significantly. The one time I rode her bike (I'm 6'2" and 250lb) I felt like I was riding a kid's bike. Its incredible the difference those two items made. Other than that her bike is nearly stock.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm 5'6" and have 13000 on my wing now. I cannot flat foot the wing, usually on my toes on a stop. You can handle it, but like someone said earlier, you must be aware of road surfaces, dips, oils , crowned surfaces... all that stuff when you stop. I have dropped mine once, however it was my fault not paying attention and that can happen even if you are 6' 4". Stay alert and you will be fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts