GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I’ve got shiny new black bike, I’d like to hear what people recommend for keeping it looking that way i.e. products, cleaning methods etc. Obviously black shows imperfections very easily so I just wanted to take another opportunity to benefit from the vast experience on this site before I learn what doesn’t work the hard way (my usual method..).

This surely isn’t the end of my dumb questions so please bear with me…..

G

·
0 Posts
Black shows everything. I use a non-scratch sponge and hot water to
get all the bugs off, then finish with a chamois.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Everyone has their own solutions. For my black '03 I use a polymere (sp) sealer, then 48 hours later a good wax (MacGuires is my favorite). I have also used Cycle Care wax which works well, but doesn't seem to last very long.

One lesson learned the hard way: haning your helmets via the helmet hooks will result in deep scratches where they contact the back of the bags. We have never moved the bike with the helmets in place so apparently even the wind moving them will create these marks.

Michael

·
Registered
747 Posts
my bmw is black. if it is looking shiny then i use one of the spray wax detailers, sprays on like water and you wipe till it disappears, easy to use. im using mothers now but they all work about the same.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Yes, use a good quality washing cloth.....I hate sponges becasue they hold too much dirt. I like a mitt that looks like a short shag carpet, and I only use it on my bike......no one else is allowed to touch it!!!

Then some decent wax....the spray on kind is OK. I like the Honda Cleaner and Polish now that I've used it. It works well for cleaning and polishing.......imagine that! You'll want a good scratch & swirl remover too. Maguires (sp) is a good one for that stuff I think.

Congrats.....you got the right color 8)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Take it to a painter and have him ....paint it white! Much cooler. LOL

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
apply your wax of choice in straight moves, not circles ( this is where most swirls come from)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wingman57 said:
My wife wanted the white one. She didn't get it though... 8)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KYBLUE said:
apply your wax of choice in straight moves, not circles ( this is where most swirls come from)
Now there's a great tip. Rather obvious if you think about it but I'd never heard anyone recommend that before. Thanks

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
wingman57 said:
You stole my thunder. Silver is the word for the day!!!!!!!.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
steviemac, a stick of butter can put scratches on these babies so be careful. T. 8)
Best paint products: Glare paint sealant 5yr,. unconditional guarantee against stains or paint damage of any kind. Bird droppings, gasoline, brakefluid etc.
Best windsheild product: Plexus
Best wheels cleaner: Boms away Drivetrain cleaner: any degreaser
Seat: leather conditioning wipes any brand
Plus microfiber wash mitts, towels and cloths and or a chamious

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well, I have a 2001 I bought new and I use IBIZ and the Bom on mine. They are easy on and easy off. They help cover up the swirl marks and fine scratches as well. I use the IBIZ on my Corvette, too, and it is recommended by the Corvette Club of America. Use a microfiber cloth when polishing or waxing and you will cut down on the swirl marks and fine scratches. I use nothing but microfiber on my black Wing and my Corvette.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
After winning many Concours shows with my BMW M3 I can give you what works for me.

Never touch your bike while it is dry. I know this is hard, but if there is a piece of dirt between the two, its acts like sandpaper.

Rinse the bike down very well. Wash the bike in a front to back motion. Use 2 buckets, one for you to dip your rag in,then the other to rinse it out after you wash the bike. Then when you apply it to the bike, its just soap and water.
Rinse very well. Let it air dry for a little bit. Air compressor is even better. Remember the more you touch or rub it, the more chance you have for swirl marks or scratches.

Wax is kinda like oil, tires. Just use a high quality item. I prefer www.zainobros products, nothing even comes close.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sorry guys.... Exactly the reason I did not buy a black motorcycle...again. I admire you guys that can keep them looking so spiffy....but I'm too lazy :oops:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have a '01 black and it looks great. Tank scuff marks can be magically removed by Macguiars wax... by the way, I learned long ago the majority of those swirl marks on the tanks are most often caused by riders who wear their ballastic, armored riding pants. The material in those riding pants will scuff the tank if you rub the inside of your legs against it. If you are one who feels the need to armor up as if going into battle, be prepared for scuff marks. Another source of scuff marks on the tank can be caused by the power cord if you are using helmet speakers... try draping the cord up over the handlebar with the cord next to the clutch master cylinder... believe me, it won't create any interference with steering and you can go from full left to full right movement of the handlebars with no problem.

I use the Mr. Clean wash system from Wally world.... just over $20 and after using it you sit and actually watch your bike dry spot free. It actually does sheet the water off the paint before your eyes. That eliminates having to rub down the bike to dry it with a towel, chamois, or microfiber cloth.

After every wash a quick shine with Pledge makes the bike look showroom new. It is a great detailer and have been using it for a long time. Try it.. won't harm the paint at all.

Like someone has already said, resist the impulse to even lightly wipe off dirt when on the road and the paint is dry... it'll leave swirls.

Good luck and don't believe those that say their color is better looking.... a clean black motorcycle will shine like no other color.

Allen Serviss Vernon,VT

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Paint color facts: Dark colors reflect the most light therefore look the shiniest. Dark colors show every little imperfection (dings, chips,scratches, and swirls) looks worst when dirty, and seem to attract dust like a magnet. Light colors do just the opposite they hide more and always appear cleaner than they are.Thats just the price you have to pay for a good look'in bike or car or wife etc. etc. THEY ARE HIGH MAINTENANCE BUT LOOK GREAT !!!! T. 8)

S

·
0 Posts
Black looks great but is impossible to keep clean. I've gone with black vehicles and have found the best thing is this:

First mask off all the non-black areas, sand with 1000 grit and apply 3 coats non-black paint followed with clear. I found the best color is the one that matchs the color of dirt.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Slam Bam has a great "metal" polish that removes most marks on the paint. I had what looked like very deep gashes on the tank (CBC). I called Slam Bam and the guy said it was clearcoat safe. It removed every mark. It is also coated with Rejex, which keeps it looking better

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
Don't worry about it! Ride the lungs out of it.
Its a piece of machinery, not jewelry. I've
got shopping cart dings, multitudes of highway
gravel pits, baseball battle scars, luggage
scrapes, whatever. Runs fine, very
enjoyable. I might wash it next spring if I
get time and the weather is not too
condusive to riding. OK, I realize lots of
folks take "pride" in appearance, but
a motorcycle that you are gonna really use
is gonna get its fair share of battle
scars - don't fret it so much - fretting
reduces your pleasure. Don't worry; be