GL1800Riders Forums banner

Keeping black paint looking its best..?

2K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Mark Goodrich 
I have a '01 black and it looks great. Tank scuff marks can be magically removed by Macguiars wax... by the way, I learned long ago the majority of those swirl marks on the tanks are most often caused by riders who wear their ballastic, armored riding pants. The material in those riding pants will scuff the tank if you rub the inside of your legs against it. If you are one who feels the need to armor up as if going into battle, be prepared for scuff marks. Another source of scuff marks on the tank can be caused by the power cord if you are using helmet speakers... try draping the cord up over the handlebar with the cord next to the clutch master cylinder... believe me, it won't create any interference with steering and you can go from full left to full right movement of the handlebars with no problem.

I use the Mr. Clean wash system from Wally world.... just over $20 and after using it you sit and actually watch your bike dry spot free. It actually does sheet the water off the paint before your eyes. That eliminates having to rub down the bike to dry it with a towel, chamois, or microfiber cloth.

After every wash a quick shine with Pledge makes the bike look showroom new. It is a great detailer and have been using it for a long time. Try it.. won't harm the paint at all.

Like someone has already said, resist the impulse to even lightly wipe off dirt when on the road and the paint is dry... it'll leave swirls.

Good luck and don't believe those that say their color is better looking.... a clean black motorcycle will shine like no other color.

Allen Serviss Vernon,VT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.