GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like every bolt on this bike is different. Here’s what I do to keep track where they go. I stick each bolt into a sheet of styrofoam as they come out, in the rough pattern to match where they go. This pic is after removing the top shelter. The bolts are from the left and right edge of the shelter and the two screws in the middle are the ones that go around the key. It’s also a great double-check to make sure all the bolts are back in place at the end. I use a different sheet for each main component (dash, front cowl, ..etc). Also, if you keep the sheets around for the next time, you can tell by the indentions how many more bolts need to come out, and whether you have removed them all.

As you can see I'm still working on a method to track all those pop-rivets. :)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I like it! Great Idea!

Now if the kids would just quit running off with my foam!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I usually set min on top of a bucket or something in the order that I remove them. Then just pray that I dont kick the bucket.

I have to admit, this is a great idea and I am sure to pass it along to others.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have used a piece of cardboard in the same manner. I can also write comments or notes on the cardboard. :idea:

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
As I remove a piece of tupperware all the fasteners, for that part, go into a plastic sandwich bag. The bag is then attached to the part. Poke the corner of the bag thru a hole or tape it on. When it's time to put that part back on the correct fasteners are right there with it.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I read someplace to place a dot over the allen head for the side screws.
So, the top one gets 1 dot, the 2nd one gets two dots, 3rd gets 3 etc ...

worked very well when I took the top off to connect the CB.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I drew a rough pattern of the bolts' layout on the bike with a pen onto the top of my wooden workbench. As I remove each bolt I place it onto the drawing. No more mixups for me either.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Keeping track of bolts/tray

Some people in Seattle,go to frys Electronics,and get a 8" by 12" by 2"deep
clear plastic tray.(Divided)when you take the bolts out,you put them in the divided tray
and lower the clear lid,and write the place you removed it from on the lid,with a sharpie pen.(rubbing alcohol will remove later)
Signed, someone in Seattle

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,017 Posts
I use a 12 inch Craftsman magnetic bolt pan. I place the bolts in the order that they were in the bike. The magnet holds the bolts in the pattern and you don't have to worry about knocking them out of place. On bigger jobs where you need to remove several different parts and you won't come back to the job for a day or so, I draw a little diagram showing which bolts goes where and place the bolts for that part into plastic sandwich bags so I don't mix them up with the other bolts.

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
my method is about the same, drill holes in a 1 foot piece of wood 2x6, been using it since 2001

·
Registered
750 Posts
When I changed the air filter the first time I took different colors of acrylic paint and put a dot on the bolt head and a dot on the fairing as to where it goes. Next filter change should be a snap. I'm gonna get me a piece of styrofoam, great tip!!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
backwoods said:
It seems like every bolt on this bike is different. Here’s what I do to keep track where they go. I stick each bolt into a sheet of styrofoam as they come out, in the rough pattern to match where they go. This pic is after removing the top shelter. The bolts are from the left and right edge of the shelter and the two screws in the middle are the ones that go around the key. It’s also a great double-check to make sure all the bolts are back in place at the end. I use a different sheet for each main component (dash, front cowl, ..etc). Also, if you keep the sheets around for the next time, you can tell by the indentions how many more bolts need to come out, and whether you have removed them all.

As you can see I'm still working on a method to track all those pop-rivets. :)
I use a foam egg carton with a number written on each slot. Then a clipboard with the numbers & a description where it came from.

·
Registered
51 Posts
GO SAINTS!!!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
nuts and C/Ts

Great tip, however after spending the last half hour reading the car tire posts I think I'll get a C/T and drill holes in it to keep track of the nuts and bolts. (Maybe a M/C tire...I'm sooo conflicted).

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
All good ideas. I have a "collection", of egg cartons in my garage. I'll have to add some styrofoam to it. :)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I place my bolts/nuts in ziplock bags with a scrap piece of paper noting where they came from, ie top shelter, instrument panel,...Ziplock bags keep them together instead of getting kicked across the floor, as I have done in the past. The side bolts for the top shelter are numbered from bottom to top so I don't have to guess where the different bolts go when putting it back together.

·
Vendor
2,371 Posts
We use Muffin Tins.

Women don't make muffins any more, so they won't even notice you stole it from out of the kitchen.

Group the bolts in a cup, and place a little note in the cup if you are going to have the bike apart so long that you can't remember where that group came from.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Got a drawing of the top shelter on a piece of ply. Holes drilled where the bolts go, on the drawing. It's got another piece of ply, like a lid to keep the bolts in place, so when I kick it they stay in place!
Jas

·
Registered
463 Posts
Bolts,

you mean your supposed to put them Back?

LOL,, couple great ideas for next time instead of buying all new bolts. Hey just kidding...

going to start using the foam idea or the 2X6..

thanks for the ideas gang! :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts