GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Tour
433 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Does this only impact the cheaper non USA made Kendon products. Does this cover only the Steel wheels and not the aluminum Kendon wheels?

The Kendon Go! Series™ line of motorcycle trailers was developed with the cost-conscious rider in mind who does not want to be forced to use a “low-end” alternative, or a knockoff, but can instead use original Kendon quality products with confidence

vs

Kendon Stand-Up™ Premium Series Folding Motorcycle Trailers

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Font

·
Registered
580 Posts
Recently purchased a trailer intentionally avoiding Kendon. The internet is littered with countless articles about frames cracking, weldment failure, axle issues, rusting, and all sorts of other structural issues. It's all hearsay, of course, but where there is smoke one generally finds fire. Not heard much about wheel problems, but if NTSB and DOT are investigating there must be a bundle of filed complaints in the background.

·
IronMan
18,396 Posts
DOES IT SAY WHERE PARTS FROM ? MADE AS IN WELDS ? CHINA ?????

Reactions: Florida Brent

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Tour
433 Posts
I have seen many Kendon trailers that have had damage to the welds and deck. Most damage is due to not firmly setting up tie downs and hitting potholes / bumps.

Note: As I just got back from a 4000 mile tow to Sturgis I was careful to check all the wheel bearing and lug nut torque before and after the trip. Kendon suggest lubing the wheel bearing every 1500 miles and to lube the wheel bearings you have to remove the wheel and wheel lugs. (I did not lube the bearing during the trip so I am a bad boy ... LOL_)

Photos are of Kendon GO trailer (non USA made) Wheel is not the upgraded aluminum wheel

Notes from Kendon trailer manual
Check nuts bolts after first 500 miles (Bed in)
50 psi cold tire pressure
Wheel lug torque 60 lbs
Grease bearing every 1000 to 1500 miles
Clean & Grease hitch ball lightly
Ensure trailer deck is level when loaded use adjustable hitch for ball height

·
Premium Member
19,725 Posts
I have the USA Kendon two rail & pull behind a Motorcoach. No issues other than I wish the ramp were wider

·
Registered
570 Posts
At least his bikes stayed upright on the trailer!

·
Registered
2015 Goldwing
7 Posts
I’ve had a ride up kendon trailer for 6 years with no issues. But I also keep up on the regular maintenance of greasing the wheel bearings every 1500 miles.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
That wheel failure is one of the reasons why I use a dual axle trailer. Nevertheless I've had several tire failures in 19 years and at least 60,000 miles. Wells Cargo

·
Registered
570 Posts
We check our lug nuts torque at a minimum every oil change or service. Many times after having our tires installed or rotated, when we got home we would torque them again and usually find 3-4 loose by quite a bit. Yes, the others should hold it secure but one never knows.
I don't trust those torque sticks the tire shops use.
The lug bolts will stretch especially if they are new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts