GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 GL1800. I initially started out with Satellite Radio hooked up to the Aux input via the J&M interface (provides power,dock, and aux connection). Next I wanted to add an I-pod so I boughtthe EC wiring harness and filters and hooked up and wired the sound in parallel with the Sat Radio - NO GO - bad feedback.

So, I bought the Kennedy AuxSwitch Set2 kit to replace the J&M kit and hooked up the Sat Radio and I-pod thru it since it can handle two audio inputs. Worked great as long as I-pod is running on battery.

Problem is I still can not use the EC harness even to just power the I-Pod. The Kennedy system plugs into the headphone jack (not the bottom connection) so I figured I would still be able to use the EC harness to keep power to the I-Pod since the sound is coming out of the earphone jack. However when the I-pod is connected to the EC harness, it will not work with the Kennedy AuxSwitchSet2. It appears as soon as the bottom plug is attached some type of "override" occurs and there is some type of interference that prevents the Kennedy unit form working correclty.

I currently have a J&M Sat Radio hookup and an EC I-pod adapter that are collecting dust.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? solution?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I may be wrong about this but I'll try to explain. If you buy just a DC charger for the iPod the headphone port still works because the sound is not being pulled from the bottom port. But if you dock your iPod on the charging base it overrides the headphone port because the sound is being pulled from the bottom port. Just try a DC charging cord and I think you'll be ok. You'll probably need a inline power filter too. Hope that all made sense.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went back to the drawing board this weekend ad after several hours of trail and error - SUCESS. I nowhave a fully integrated I-Pod that plays and charges and does not interfere with the SAT radio. Took a little splicng and soldering but worth the time. Components needed are the Kennedy AuxSwitch Set2 unit and the EC I-Pod harness and filter that hooks up to the I-pod. The two systms have to be spliced together as the wiring is not compatable and you have to use the EC ground loop filter before the input to the Kennedy Unit otherwise the Kennedy unit will not switch back and forth correctly. You hook the I-pod up using the bottom connection to the EC harness (not the top audio output plug for headphones). The sound is great.

The XM radio is the primary input. If the I-pod is on and you turn the XM on it will automatically discontinue the I-pod and play the radio. To play the I-pod you must turn off the XM and turn the I-pod on. The I-pod charges while hooked up (does not matter if being played) and will even charge with the bike turned off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts