GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I wanted to let you all know about the great service provided by Kennedy Cellset.
Last week I was changing the wiring for my SP3 so the 12v will be hot all the time. While I had the left pocket out I accidentally stepped on the mini jack and bent the pin the plugs into the GPS. I e-mailed cellset to inquire what it would cost to fix, and they promptly responded offering to send me a replacement cord for free if I want. 4 Days later I had the cord and at no charge.

I really appreciated Kennedy doing this for me even though it was clearly my fault.

Thanks again Kennedy :bow:

Rich

·
Registered
810 Posts
UnHappy with Them

I don't own their products so maybe I shouldn't say anything, but I think they are simply asking too much money and are a little too hungry.

Case in point. They used to make one accessory for about $180. that allowed you to tie in your cell phone and one other device. A friend has this and I wanted it for my bike as well.

I went to their website to order the item and could not find it, so I emailed them. I told them what I wanted to do and asked for their feedback.

They didn't come back with one item, they came back with four or five. When I asked about the device my friend had, their response was that they didn't make it any more so that they could be more flexible with their product line.

I didn't have any problem with that, but had a problem that now, their change, would cost me $250. to accomplish what the $180. device did before.

Had all the devices been comparable in price, or a little more, I could understand but they changed their product line and now, we have to pay $70. more for the same setup.

I'm sorry, but to me, that's a rip off. Granted, there is flexibility, but I was a little upset with thier increase. I responded that they just lost me as a customer because of the increase, but did not get a response.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I agree with Rich; I think they have great customer service, I have bought the cellset for the 1500 and 1800 from them. When I had a problem they provided great support.

G

·
0 Posts
Re: UnHappy with Them

mcallery said:
I don't own their products so maybe I shouldn't say anything...
You were correct in this part of your post. :?

Kennedy makes solid, reliable products, that function well. Their customer service is excellent.

I own a GPS/MPG, FRSet, and a RadarSet. They allow me to interface my StreetPilot III, MD player, FRS/GMRS radio, and my radar detector. They each work beautifully, and are worth what they cost, IMO.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Don't Care Really

Well, looking back, I really shouldn't have written what I did so that I would not have given the last poster the opportunity.

I have heard excellent things about their products and I never disputed thier quality.

What I am disputing is their sales technique. We have, until now, been able to spend $180. to get a device to interface our cell phone and say a radar dectector of GPS. They changed their setup and now charge $250. to do the same thing.

First, I think $180. was high, but I'm more than willing to pay for quality. Uping the cost to $250, IMHO, was unnecessary. Maybe for the weekend warriors who are Dr's or Lawyers, but $250. for the setup. Nah. I'll look for a sale or used. I'm not paying that price.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Hey Mike, they fill a need and do a good (great) job of it. Obviously, the door has been open for a long time for someone else to provide a competitive alternative and no one has stepped up to the plate. We can moan and groan about what constitutes a fair pricing or paying too much, but if a company builds great products and responds to my service requests or emails to them with answers to my questions (2 this morning to Kennedy and anwered within minutes), I say they earn every penny I pay them and thank goodness we have them as a verdor to provide products for our great bikes.

Three cheers for Kennedy Technologies, like a number of other venders in the 1800 world they are a class act and I appreciate them!

DaleC
San Ramon, CA.

P.S. I don't know why they don't make the same product, but there may have been justified reasons for not making it that way any longer. The point is they offer options and market great products so they know what they are doing and why. Give them the benefit of the doubt on that prior product.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Re: UnHappy with Them

mcallery said:
I responded that they just lost me as a customer because of the increase, but did not get a response.
Why do you seem to think you deserve a response after telling them that they are rip off artists and that they just lost you as a customer?

A smart business person would not answer. If they were to answer, all they would be doing is adding fuel to the fire as they would have to defend their position and could only anger the lost customer even more. Think about it, I have as I've been on both sides of this isle!

McCallery, I hope that you don't take this as a slap at you or your position, I've just tried to explain why they would not answer you from a business owners viewpoint.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had excellent service from Kennedy Technologies. Jon at Kennedy was very helpful in assisting me with intercom problems. Turns out it was the Honda radio, which was replaced under warranty. Alls well that ends well. :D :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ok, I admit to being stupid...HELP!!!

I need help! I bought the cellset and tried to put it in. No problem getting the pocket out and attaching the intercom plugs. BUT....where the heck do you run the power cable and the cell hookup cable? (Exactly, if anyone can help.) I don't have a book to find out how to pull the tupperware, if you need to. I am not sure if I will be running it anywhere that will be too hot. The documentation says the phone jack should be a good distance from the cellset. So....how is a good way to route it to the other side of the shelter?? I tried to do this at lunch today and, man, have I ever been humbled!! I guess in the mechanical department, I have totally failed.
Can someone help me or is there anyone in the Northern Virginia area that has installed one and can guide me through this thing? I'd like to get it installed before we start hitting the road on any lengthy trips again this year.
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts