GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of mounting my Garmin 276 on my 03 GL1800 and also fitting the Kennedy interface.
Is there room in the wiring channel along the underside of the handlebars to run the Kennedy wiring or do need to cable tie it to the outside of the bars ?

·
Registered
788 Posts
My experience is that the wiring channels underneath the handlebars are pretty packed, so I ran wires on the surface of the channels and tie-wrapped them in place.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Steve,

The Kennedy 276/376 cable is pretty fat. I wouldn't even think of running that cable in the handlebar channel...!

Yeah, tie wraps are ugly but they don't cause electrical short circuits either. When the wiring under the left handlebar shorts out, you will get some strange "no-workies"...!

·
Registered
366 Posts
John,

What cable(s) did you run in the handlebar channel...?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
e98x09 said:
... The Kennedy 276/376 cable is pretty fat. I wouldn't even think of running that cable in the handlebar channel...
The handlebar covers were changed on the '04 and later models. They are plastic instead of metal and are deeper with more room for running wires for handlebar-mounted accessories, heated grips, etc.

Just be careful when working with the RH cover - pinching the wire that feeds the cruise control will cause the bike to quit charging. This, unfortunately, is a fairly common occurence.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon, do you know if the 04 covers will fit the 03 handlebars?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've got an 05 and I ran the stock Garmin 276 power/data/voice cable inside the cover then over to the left fairing pocket. Put a dual ground loop isolate in there and fed the output to the kennedy unit which is under the seat. The other input on the ground loop isolator is available for whatever (scanner, detector, etc.). I found it a whole lot easier to get to the intercom connector under the seat than the drivers one in the fairing.

Carl

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Carl, I bet you a new set of tires that I could get to the rider's headset connector faster than you could get to the passenger's.

PS: I prefer the Bridgestones :lol:

Steve, I'm not 100% sure that the '04 covers would fit, but from memory they appear to have the same mounting footprint.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jon said:
Carl, I bet you a new set of tires that I could get to the rider's headset connector faster than you could get to the passenger's.
I have no doubt you are correct. I've had my bike 4 days, and have not as yet learned all the right ways to get to things, and am not going to damage it learning the hard way.

Moved up from an 89 GL1500.

Carl

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Damn, I really wanted those tires, too! :)

Welcome to the 1800 and the board - I'm not far away, if you have any questions I'll be glad to help where I can.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Silver-05 said:
Jon said:
I have no doubt you are correct. I've had my bike 4 days, and have not as yet learned all the right ways to get to things, and am not going to damage it learning the hard way.

Moved up from an 89 GL1500.

Carl
I'm also not that far away and a friend of Jon's. so, if you need advice or help, give me a yell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts