GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you folks have the Kennedy Vox Squelch device for both the passenger and rider installed on your 1800's? How does it work?

I tried the electronic pigtail that goes inline for the passenger but all that did was cut down on the overall noise volume so that I couldn't hear my passenger unless she screamed. Wind noise in our flip front helmets, however, is really bad and it would be great if we could find some way to deal with the added distractions.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I have had Kennedy's system for over a year..almost two. Last year I added the driver unit. Let me give you the bad first. After you install the kennedy system you will here amplified noises in your intercom on occasion. They come in the form of clicks..sometimes up to 8 in a row. Do they come from the wing or outside interference coming through the CB...I don't know & after several contacts with kennedy they have no answers for me. I have said before I don't like their after purchase support & they will also say things like check the web site for installation support instead of on the phone for 'real customer support". Very poor in terms of business in my opinion. The 1800 is not a 1500 & although Stu O report was very very good (this is why I bought it) on the Kennedy it does not show some of the problems of the 1800 system. Maybe it works better on the 1500..I don't know. Does it work, yes to a large extent..I still use mine & they are both still installed on my 02. I also have my controller up by me which you will find necessary since slow speed around town adjsutment is much different than expressway or high wind. Having the controller by the rider will improve your experience greatly.

SUGGESTIONS: Start with the passenger system, get use to it & the adjustments (this is also a learning curve for you & your co-rider & this is why I say the controller by you is a must for slow & fast speed muting). The small box placement is also very important. You will find out this box picks up everything electronic when placed in the wrong place...personally I think the noise I hear in my intercom at times (clicking) is coming from sensors in the street, powerlines etc..

Well I guess I got carried away. Maybe you can use this as some baseline data to make a choice.

Maddog

·
Registered
11 Posts
vox set

I have the vox set on my bike the only problem tha we have had is the placement of the little box I had to try several different locations before I found the right one so the unit would not squeal every time I keyed the CB.

·
Registered
626 Posts
We tryed the Kennedy vox, had the same problems as aready talked about. Went with the "Mic-Mute" very happy with it. It is the ticket for the wind noise reduction and is a easy install. There aren't many products out there that work as advertized (to bad?) Mic-Mutes 'do all' that they say they will, get them I think you'll be happy with the results.

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
Autovolume microphone

My experience with other intercom systems has taught me that there is only one way to make a VOX circuit that works at both highway speeds, and at slow speeds. The problem is that you need a higher trip point on the VOX as speed increases.

The only solution I have seen that works, is the incorporation of a third, independent, microphone. This microphone is installed not in the helmet, but either in one of the connectors for the cords or on the bike somewhere. It functions as an ambient noise level sensor and feeds the VOX circuit. The VOX circuit then takes this noise signal and moves the VOX trip point so that it is always just above the ambient noise level.

Autocom used this on their origional Pro3000 system (but not the ProM1). And it worked flawlessly everytime. They took it out on the new ProM1 system, and the VOX no longer works as smoothly as it used to.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Reply

Donald Lajeunesse said:
The 1800 is not a 1500 & although Stu O report was very very good (this is why I bought it) on the Kennedy it does not show some of the problems of the 1800 system. Maybe it works better on the 1500..I don't know.
Maddog
Sorry you're having problems, Maddog. The VoxSet adjustments are sensitive to different voices and different microphone designs, so no...it won't work as well for everybody as it does for my wife and me. I hadn't realized this at the time I did the eval. And no, there isn't one adjustment position that's perfect for all conditions. We used the lowest setting we could so the wife didn't have trouble breaking squelch. But we'd turn it up as necessary at higher speeds or windy days if the wind broke in more often than I could tolerate. Switching to J&M's latest headsets has eliminated the need to move off the lowest adjustment setting unless the wind is very gusty.

Personally, I'd prefer a system like the Mic Mutes. The reason I use the vox is a passenger "training issue." My wife's lousy memory requires a passive device like the VoxSet. Most co-riders, my wife included, have so much noise in their helmets from wind blowing over them that they can't distinguish that wind noise from what's being introduced by the intercom. The result was that my wife couldn't tell, and often couldn't remember which position she'd left the intercom in - on or off. So she'd start talking and wondered why I didn't answer. If your co-rider has a better memory than mine does, perhaps the Mic Mutes is a better solution for you.

Stu

·
Registered
47 Posts

10.4 Stu...I also have been looking at the Mic Mutes but I guess I am a little reluctant to change due to the money output so far. I will live with the vox system for a little longer & the strange noises...you are right on about different headsets as well as the position of the mic in the helmet, in particular an off-set mounted mic in a full face helmet may cause the user to talk louder at any setting to break the squelch as opposed to a mount most common in flip helmets. Of course as you say if I forget to change the setting in slow speed or low wind conditions my wife needs to scream to be heard...and that will last about two times & then the hits on the back of my Nolan start. Ha!!

Tale care
Maddog

·
Registered
619 Posts
I too bought the Kennedy Vox set because of STU 0 report and I wasn't satisfied with it. I called Jon from Kennedy and he told me where to put the box again and I did and it seems to work ALOT better...anything was better than before. Jon also did tell me that if i wasn't satisfied he would replace it or give me my money back. I bought the set in April and had it put in in Aug and he still stood by it. The only draw back i see is that U sort of have to yell to activate it ie. Passenger, but otherwise it is so much better than the stock system.....

bruce aka "the blue trawler"

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I installed the vox also and not having the wind noise anymore is just a pure joy. We were having trouble getting it adjusted also until I had my wife put her mic closer to her mouth. Now we don't have any problems with it. She now knows that when the wind is blowing hard that she has to speak up. Normally we have it so she can talk normal, and I have her adjust it if I start getting the wind noise accordingly. But the big key was where the mic was located. There are times when we get a big crosswind, then I tell her just to relax and let me do the talking. ! LOL
I like that one ! :yes2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts