GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Firstgear mesh overpants for me. Wife wears draggin jeans. The first thing she has to do when we stop is get out of those jeans. They're hot and bulky. She tried overpants but she's large waisted and short legged so fit was a problem. She shortens the legs on the draggin jeans.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have the "First Gear" Overpants and a pair of "Sliders" Kevlar Jeans. The former for cold/wet weather and the latter for every day riding. But for protection; I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chaps. It's awfully tough to beat Leather for anti-road-rash. Maybe not so much on impact, but as others have said with the Jeans and even with the Overpants, it's not altogether clear that the armor would actually be in place given the fit (loose) and the construction (light) of the materials that hold it all together.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have both reinforced riding jeans (Gusset and Icon) and will wear the Gusset's in the winter under my Olympia riding pants. Use the Icon's for MSF course instruction but definitely prefer the overpants for their protection. In the summer months here in Arizona I will wear shorts/board shorts under my riding pants for comfort and ability to quickly change into shorts and flip flops upon reaching our destination. Had a get off last year and the overpants provided much better protection than even the reinforced jeans would have based on the bruises and abrasions. JMO. Jacket, pants and helmet had to be replaced, oh...and boots.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My wife and I want to purchase some leg protection and are undecided as to whether we want to go with armoured Kevlar jeans or pull on over pants. Thoughts?
Check out BILT products, I have been riding with them for a year and they are great quality!:yes1:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Check out BILT products, I have been riding with them for a year and they are great quality!:yes1:
I have a Medium, Silver FF Bilt Helmet. it's New, Never worn with all the labels still in place. I'll sell it to you. Make me an offer!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did wear Olympia mesh riding pants and use liners when cold. Now I wear and highly recommend Olympia X Moto (zip open panels) pants which have liners. Under the pants I wear Wickers brand underwear. Some times if a long ride I wear either Areostich riding shorts or LD Comfort shorts under the pants.

Rode many miles this way. In very cold weather 17 degrees put on some long johns. I ride a VTX so not the coverage of a Wing. With the Moto X on a Wing I doubt the rider would seldom need much else on their legs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Riding pants

I wear fieldgear mesh pants with the armor and thin pair of shorts under them in the summer and in the winter I wear them with the liner over jeans. I by no means am I an expert just started riding last August but this seemed to be the best fit for me.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Subscribing to this thread.

Lots of good in formation as I'm also looking for riding pants/jeans.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Absolutely! But I wear them on the outside for the fashion statement.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have the Motoport overpants which I wear often, but am some worried how abrasive the kevlar mesh is on the paint. The overpants are good when you get to your destination you can just take them off and have shorts on underneath. When around town I will sometimes wear Bohn under armor with dragging jeans. I have just heard of Rhok kevlar jeans that lets you quickly remove and add the armor by using pouches on the outside of the jeans. I like the idea of protection against abrasions and falls, so I like both kevlar and body armor. I do admit I am more lenient with my protection since I am now on a trike (please no flames).

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
My 0.02 worth on this thread that has many good tips and stories. My Olympia Mesh pants have three holes right where my kneecap is from a low-side slide. The armor in them took the impact and the slide. I still have them, still good to wear and reminds me to be a bit more careful. If I hadn't had the armor, I wouldn't have been picking the bike up and continuing to ride that day with no injuries. The ER would have been trying to save what was left of my knee. I believe in armor. Would rather sweat than bleed anytime.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
We had decided to buy Olympia pants here at Americade but guess what? No Olympia here, very disappointing. The reason we decided to go with Olympia is to match our Olympia jackets. According to my wife, they MUST match.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I have the Motoport overpants which I wear often, but am some worried how abrasive the kevlar mesh is on the paint. The overpants are good when you get to your destination you can just take them off and have shorts on underneath. When around town I will sometimes wear Bohn under armor with dragging jeans. I have just heard of Rhok kevlar jeans that lets you quickly remove and add the armor by using pouches on the outside of the jeans. I like the idea of protection against abrasions and falls, so I like both kevlar and body armor. I do admit I am more lenient with my protection since I am now on a trike (please no flames).
I believe abrasion by the kevlar pants on a shiny Goldwing tupperware cover is a valid concern. I'll have to figure out some way to protect the finish when I get the new pants I've ordered.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
We had decided to buy Olympia pants here at Americade but guess what? No Olympia here, very disappointing. The reason we decided to go with Olympia is to match our Olympia jackets. According to my wife, they MUST match.
I understand what you're saying but black riding pants from any quality manufacturer will match whatever jackets you are wearing.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
In hot weather on day / weekend trips I wear First Gear Mesh. On work days when I need to wear slacks I have Bilt Overpants. They came with a liner but even in the coldest weather I have never used the liner. Instead I just wear the overpants over my jeans on a non-work day.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts