GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
How does it attach to the bike? My paint is only 3 months old and I don't want to glue anything.
If I remember right I just parked the bike out in the sun on a hot day & maybe used the wife's hair dryer for a bit of extra heat. They are supposed to be removable to be used on another bike if you wish

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
My wife and I could not find the pants we wanted at Americade so we ordered Olympia Airglide 3's from Revzilla. Great service and delivery. We're heading to Deal's Gap and then to WV in a couple of weeks so I'll get lots of opportunity to try them out.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I can appreciate all the precautions that all of the posters have commented on BUT.I have been riding since 1959.........AND at age (almost) 72.......I have always dressed for the ride...and never the potential accident!!! Maybe............... D U M B ........but so far has worked well for me......... :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I can appreciate all the precautions that all of the posters have commented on BUT.I have been riding since 1959.........AND at age (almost) 72.......I have always dressed for the ride...and never the potential accident!!! Maybe............... D U M B ........but so far has worked well for me......... :thumbup:
Seriously? You never dress for the accident? That's got to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I hope your luck holds up & that you never do have an accident. It was awkward at first to put that stuff on but after a couple of years I feel naked without it. About the only thing I miss out on by wearing it is my farmers tan lol :) Ride safe & watch out for the deer & the 'other guy' and may your rides continue to be accident free

·
Registered
900 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I believe abrasion by the kevlar pants on a shiny Goldwing tupperware cover is a valid concern. I'll have to figure out some way to protect the finish when I get the new pants I've ordered.
I also have Motoport mesh Kevlar pants. Yes, they will scratch the finish. IMO it's better to have the best protection to prevent scars from loss of skin than to have a perfect looking mc. My pants and jacket are also Hi-Viz yellow which is the coolest available color.;)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ultra mesh

MOTOPORT:thumbup::bow::agree:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Seriously? You never dress for the accident? That's got to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard.
I agree that one should always be prepared for a spill. It happens to everyone eventually. ATGATT is a must to me as it is with serious riders everywhere. When riding a few bocks to the DG might be more comfortable in a t-shirt, shorts and sneakers might be more convenient, it is risky. On tour, proper gear is more comfortable under all weather conditions.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
My father tells me riding a motorcycle is one of the most irresponsible things you can do as an adult and even more so as a parent with children at home. There is no reason to ride one and there are cars that get much better gas mileage for much less money than my wing. He simply feels the risk vs. reward of a motorcycle makes no sense and that no responsible adult should ride one.

Point is....I love my dad but reject his wisdom on this point because I love to ride and am glad we live in a country where adults can make their own decisions about things like this.

You're now making a similar judgment about a member who has decided that he'd rather ride without all the gear. Why do you feel you are qualified to say you've arrived at the correct mix of risk vs. reward and call his decision "dumb"?

BTW....I wear most the gear, most the time so I tend to agree that you should dress for the accident, but that doesn't make it right for another guy. It's an individual choice.

Back to the OP question....I wear jeans in the heat (above 85) and over pants when the temps are below 85. I also sometimes ride the bike to work in the summer and just wear my khaki's and dress shoes with a mesh jacket. Not the safest thing, I know...but if I wanted to be really safe, I'd drive a civic.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
My father tells me riding a motorcycle is one of the most irresponsible things you can do as an adult and even more so as a parent with children at home. There is no reason to ride one and there are cars that get much better gas mileage for much less money than my wing. He simply feels the risk vs. reward of a motorcycle makes no sense and that no responsible adult should ride one.

Point is....I love my dad but reject his wisdom on this point because I love to ride and am glad we live in a country where adults can make their own decisions about things like this.

You're now making a similar judgment about a member who has decided that he'd rather ride without all the gear. Why do you feel you are qualified to say you've arrived at the correct mix of risk vs. reward and call his decision "dumb"?

BTW....I wear most the gear, most the time so I tend to agree that you should dress for the accident, but that doesn't make it right for another guy. It's an individual choice.

Back to the OP question....I wear jeans in the heat (above 85) and over pants when the temps are below 85. I also sometimes ride the bike to work in the summer and just wear my khaki's and dress shoes with a mesh jacket. Not the safest thing, I know...but if I wanted to be really safe, I'd drive a civic.
The only reason that I care if someone else elects to forgo ATGATT is that such action negatively affects my insurance cots and tax liability.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
The only reason that I care if someone else elects to forgo ATGATT is that such action negatively affects my insurance cots and tax liability.

So does the consumption of Cheesburgers and a 100 other things that are generally considered bad for your health and frankly more likely to kill you.....

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
So does the consumption of Cheesburgers and a 100 other things that are generally considered bad for your health and frankly more likely to kill you.....
Did I say (write) something that caused you to believe that the central government should be "yo mama"? I merely stated fact with respect to tax liability and insurance costs. I think the federal tax code should be shredded and replace with an equitable one that includes no credits or subsidies, ...none. As I read the 16th Amendment federal taxes are to cover costs of Constitutional government services, not to implement and dictate social goals generated to buy votes.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Did I say (write) something that caused you to believe that the central government should be "yo mama"? I merely stated fact with respect to tax liability and insurance costs. I think the federal tax code should be shredded and replace with an equitable one that includes no credits or subsidies, ...none. As I read the 16th Amendment federal taxes are to cover costs of Constitutional government services, not to implement and dictate social goals generated to buy votes.
I totally agree.... I'm pretty sure neither of us is a fan of larger government and I wasn't really referencing government involvement in my response at all.

I was just responding to your statement that you didn't really care about others in terms of ATTGATT except it made your taxes and insurance costs higher. My point is that cheesburgers do the same and preaching to people on this board about ATTGATT to try and get your insurance and tax rates to move more favorably makes about as much sense as preaching about cheeseburgers.

People are going to make there own decisions and although I don't always agree with their decisions, that is one thing that is still good about this country.

Think I might ride over and get a cheeseburger tonight. I may even wear my shorty helmet instead of my full face and drink a beer or two while I'm there. I feel a bit wild today.

Ride safe....it's all good.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I totally agree.... I'm pretty sure neither of us is a fan of larger government and I wasn't really referencing government involvement in my response at all.

I was just responding to your statement that you didn't really care about others in terms of ATTGATT except it made your taxes and insurance costs higher. My point is that cheesburgers do the same and preaching to people on this board about ATTGATT to try and get your insurance and tax rates to move more favorably makes about as much sense as preaching about cheeseburgers.

People are going to make there own decisions and although I don't always agree with their decisions, that is one thing that is still good about this country.

Think I might ride over and get a cheeseburger tonight. I may even wear my shorty helmet instead of my full face and drink a beer or two while I'm there. I feel a bit wild today.

Ride safe....it's all good.
Whatever you say... :agree: Happy Independence Day.

·
Registered
643 Posts
So then did you get your Olympia pants yet ? I have a pair and really like them, some day I will probably splurge on a pair of Motosports. To the person who uses the Sliders are they comfortable ? And are they stain resistant ? I am thinking about maybe getting a pair.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the "First Gear" Overpants and a pair of "Sliders" Kevlar Jeans. The former for cold/wet weather and the latter for every day riding. But for protection; I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chaps. It's awfully tough to beat Leather for anti-road-rash. Maybe not so much on impact, but as others have said with the Jeans and even with the Overpants, it's not altogether clear that the armor would actually be in place given the fit (loose) and the construction (light) of the materials that hold it all together.

Chaps give some protection but not for your butt!! Only kevlar will protect you! Draggin jeans, Diamond Gusset or similar are the only way to go!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just remember:

There are three things that usually happen in an unexpected "get off". First there is the "bounce" jeans, chaps and overpants without armour will not protect you from the "bounce". Thats where hips, elbows, etc get broken. Then there may be the "tumble" That is where,well you know, different parts hit at different times and different places. Jeans, chaps and overpants without armour will not help there either. Then there is the "slide". All kevlar jeans may help there; but most only have kevlar patches and who knows if they are in the right place. Chaps usually don't cover the "butt" or hips and a lot of slides take place there. If you want to cover(literaly) all your bases, you need something with armour and good slide protection. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Draggin' Jeans Classic over Bohn Armor over LD.
When it rains I wear Tourmaster pants right over the armor. Can't stand wearing a fourth layer.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts