GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Wear anything you like - No matter what your medical bill will be or your insurance cost will add to anyone it will never equal the cost whats happening at the south boarder - SO ride on!

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Wear anything you like - No matter what your medical bill will be or your insurance cost will add to anyone it will never equal the cost whats happening at the south boarder - SO ride on!
There is nothing going on down there. The border is secure. Harry Reid said so.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/212328-reid-southern-border-is-secure

BTW....for my normal commute, I am either in cargo pants, or a pair of blue jeans......jacket dependent upon weather. An armored mesh jacket in the summer, armored textile jacket in the winter.

If the riding becomes more spirited, I swap out the wranglers for a pair of Kevlar lined jeans.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I highly recommend Motoport, I have their Kevlar Street Jeans and Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket. I have worn them in 118Deg temps and been comfortable. All their gear is tailor made to fit perfectly. Check them out http://www.motoport.com/ Read the Save Your Hide article.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here is something everyone can afford and should have then Wear what you want!!! [email protected]@K

Hello,

Being from the Atlanta area where are blessed with being able to ride almost all year long, so you can spend a bunch of $$$ on riding gear, Winters can be around 30 degrees, wet and windy to sweltering hot with downpours temps in the 90's in the early to late summer, I have been using Bonn Armor Gear and recommend it highly,

After all it is IMPORTANT to protect the rider and your butt in the event something goes wrong... This is IMHO the best alternative to being protected from the dangers of riding without spending a lot to be fully protected.. great quality, easy to wear and best of all it does what it should protect you!!

Usually when i ride in the cooler temps I wear the Bonn as my first layer, then I wear my TourMaster Synergy Gear, Nice and warm with minimum bulk, I wear Leather MC pants and My SS Mesh Jacket which I use all the time. If it gets warm I turn off the Tourmaster and am comfortable, I think I could ride in all temperatures say 30 to 100 degrees safely and be comfortable..

The great thing about Bonn gear is you wear it under everything so you are always protected....

Here is the link..

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/index.php#OrderForm

Don't forget to get your sweety a set!!

Ride Safe Everybody and God Bless!:thumbup:

Stewart TwoWheelOnly

·
Registered
409 Posts
Chaps for me, although not good for impact protection. Quick and easy on/off. Keeps me warm enough in chilly weather and dry in light rain, even on my Harley with no fairing protection. Been looking for a good cool/chilly/waterproof jacket.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you do have an unplanned accident, any impact protection you can get helps.

Riding pants have impact protection, jeans do not. Also with jeans as thin as they are you can rip off skin even under them.
I resemble that remark. I had to bail off to miss rear ending an idiot who pulled out in front of me. Nary a mark on my jeans. Lots of skin lost on both knees.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Didn't read all 3 pages to see.....

Myself the wife and I wear over pants the majority of the time. I have both Mesh and non mesh over pants as well.

Anyways to the point. There was an article in one of them bike mags about 4-5 years ago. They were comparing Kevlar jeans. Also had some Carhartt Double front work jeans. Most regular jean are 7oz or 8oz denim. The carhartt's are 15oz denim. And have double fronts. Turns out from the tests they were just as abrasion resistant as the 7oz Kevlar jeans at 1/2 the cost or more. Paid $35 for the ones the wife and I have. Then I took the CE approved knee armor from an old pair of riding pants, cut the seam at the top of the double front and slipped them down inside. Then the wife sewed in a pocket in the hips for hip armor. - Overall better than regular jeans, have CE hip and knee armor, fairly warm on the cool mornings with the thicker material, yet not overly hot on the really hot days. Warmer than regular jeans but cooler than my regular overpants Generally for daily commute I wear overpants, and when I know I am not getting on/off a lot I wear overpants. But sometimes I like the convenience of jeans and not having to dress up/down, but still get to have armor with decent abrasion resistance, and didn't spend much.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Most bike accidents occure at about 35 mph. I believe at that speed, impact protection is more important than abrassion resistance. I wear jeans and want to buy Bohn under garments.

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
+1 for Motoport Ultra ll Kevlar

Cheaper than a Skin Graft

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/
+2 on motoport. What Cal-D stated also. I have the ultra mesh II and the marathon for summer along with over pants. I won't say you feel like you're in air conditioning, but it's airflow through the Kevlar is evident, so keep moving. In the winter I have the heavier motoport jacket. They do custom make to fit your specific sizes. I was very very fortunate. I saw mine which are used but basically in perfect condition all 3 jackets and 2 over pants from ADvriders site. They're excellent quality, many pockets and even come with waterproof and for the winter, wind proof jackets/ pants. I'm very happy with them. It takes a 2-3 rides to get used to it, but I'm not going to use anything else. I ride year round, although much less in summer here.

In fact I have an alpine jacket and a S&S both high viz jackets up for sale. The alpine jacket is 3 season with liner. S&S is summer mesh both with padding

·
Registered
25 Posts
Didn't read all 3 pages to see.....

Myself the wife and I wear over pants the majority of the time. I have both Mesh and non mesh over pants as well.

Anyways to the point. There was an article in one of them bike mags about 4-5 years ago. They were comparing Kevlar jeans. Also had some Carhartt Double front work jeans. Most regular jean are 7oz or 8oz denim. The carhartt's are 15oz denim. And have double fronts. Turns out from the tests they were just as abrasion resistant as the 7oz Kevlar jeans at 1/2 the cost or more. Paid $35 for the ones the wife and I have. Then I took the CE approved knee armor from an old pair of riding pants, cut the seam at the top of the double front and slipped them down inside. Then the wife sewed in a pocket in the hips for hip armor. - Overall better than regular jeans, have CE hip and knee armor, fairly warm on the cool mornings with the thicker material, yet not overly hot on the really hot days. Warmer than regular jeans but cooler than my regular overpants Generally for daily commute I wear overpants, and when I know I am not getting on/off a lot I wear overpants. But sometimes I like the convenience of jeans and not having to dress up/down, but still get to have armor with decent abrasion resistance, and didn't spend much.
Here is one I found: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-jeans/cortech-dsx-jeans/

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Nice article. While in the end the writer says he wears the carhartts 10 to 1 over the Cortech, the Cortech's have some things going for them. I tend to like the Cortech in they have extra layering in the right places, already contain pockets for the CE armor and 13.5oz denim. Interesting they used the 12oz Carhartt's. The ones wife and I had are 15oz denim. -- The article I read a while back many of the Kevlar Jeans were only 7oz or 8oz denim. They were using the kevlar for abrasion resistance and not the denim weight. Here the Cortech's use 13.5oz denim and leather in the right areas, no kevlar.

He chose motocross style shin/knee guards as the cleanout hole is too small. On the wife's and mine I took the wife's sewing tools, some seam remover and opened the top seam where the double front stitch to the main part of the pants. Its a real wide opening. The armor he shows for the Cortech would easily slip right in there. I used CE armor from an old pair of riding pants the zippers blew out while back. A little stitching along the bottom holds them in the correct place. I left the top open. This allows me to remove the armor very easy when I wash them. I don't find they collect crap either. Seems ok to me. I just leave it. And the wife added pockets for armor in the hips.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
For local, under 35 mph riding, I use my First Gear Mesh-Tex set up, short rides, under 40 miles or less.

Long distance and Highway, I have and always use my Motoport Kevlar w/rain gear if needed.

Not cheap, but certainly cheaper than a skin graft ~ (they're made to order per your measurements)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I have a pair of Draggin Jeans.....they have Kevlar in the knees, hips and seat area. A bit warm in the summer time......I also have a pair of Tourmaster Venture Air Overpants.

They (the Tourmasters) have armor in the the knees and hips, as well as removable rain and thermal liners. If I am wearing regular jeans or shorts, I put the Overpants on.......I have yet to wear the overpants on top of my Draggin Jeans. They would fit, and undoubtedly offer even greater protection that either item would alone....but it would get pretty warm in the waist/hip butt area.

More often than not, I wear the Tourmaster over a pair of jeans......that way, not only do I have some sort of crash protection on, but as said, they also have the rain liner.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have a pair of Draggin Jeans.....they have Kevlar in the knees, hips and seat area. A bit warm in the summer time......I also have a pair of Tourmaster Venture Air Overpants.

They (the Tourmasters) have armor in the the knees and hips, as well as removable rain and thermal liners. If I am wearing regular jeans or shorts, I put the Overpants on.......I have yet to wear the overpants on top of my Draggin Jeans. They would fit, and undoubtedly offer even greater protection that either item would alone....but it would get pretty warm in the waist/hip butt area.

More often than not, I wear the Tourmaster over a pair of jeans......that way, not only do I have some sort of crash protection on, but as said, they also have the rain liner.
I have the TM Venture Air Pant too. I just wear over BVDs. Very comfy and cool. No binding in the crotch area. Very "forgiving" waistband adjustments.

I am going to get some polyester BVDs to make even cooler. I ride an ST1300....gets kinda warm in the summer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
801 Posts
As I see it, the problem with jeans, even the ones with Kevlar, is that they don't do anything for the bounce when you first hit the pavement. It's good to save the skin when you slide; but I'd also like not to break my hip or knee, etc. In addition, I find mesh overpants with armor much cooler in the summer.

Reactions: thebroz
61 - 76 of 76 Posts