GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a crosstown putt and stopped at a motorcycle shop twenty miles from home. When I went to leave the key slipped out of my fingers and dropped into the right fork tunnel. I heard it clunk down inside the fairing, and I imagine it came to rest somewhere around the air cleaner -- at any rate, it didn't drop out the bottom.

My wife, bless her, took two hours out of her work day to drive home, get the spare key, and deliver it to me.

Next time I work on the bike, all the plastic comes off -- either that, or I order a new key.

There's no point to this story other that to give others a laugh at my expense, I guess, and maybe find out if anyone else has done the same dumb thing.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
There are many good places to tie wrap one beneath the side covers....particularly the dipstick side cover. Only takes a minute and a sharp knife to get it out, and back on the road. I highly reccommend it!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Sounds like it may be time to go fishing with a telescoping magnet. :popcorn:
The Key itself is brass and will not be attracted to a magnet unless it had a steel key ring hooked to it.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Another case where the remote start option would have saved the day. I wonder how much stuff is really down in those holes? I've put a couples nuts and washers there, but haven't had it apart to search for anything

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The Key itself is brass and will not be attracted to a magnet unless it had a steel key ring hooked to it.
Agree with John, also sticking a magnet around the electronics components is a real bad idea.
You may wipe out some of the ECU memory or even the key as it has some HISS componentry in it. So even if a magnet grabs it, your bike may not recognise it and fail to start.

Trev.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,732 Posts
that REALLY bites. I haven't done that yet, but I'm waiting. I NEVER lost a key to my vehicles, until this winter. Dropped it somewhere on my walk from dropping off the car to go walk and pick up the truck. thankfully, the car was at home and i wasn't stranded, but it was the only remote I had to the car. hahahahaha

OH, we had a few inches of snow that day. There was no finding it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You might try to find some place that rents industrial endoscopes (also known as borescopes, fiberscopes, etc.) and go looking. It worked for me once when I dropped a key down into the innards of a GL1500. Once found, you can go fishing to get it.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
There are many places to hide a key on the wing. It is unlikely that any one would find it other than us wing owners. Besides if you have a spare with you then you will never lose a key, just the way life works.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I wear my spair key around my neck on a chain. When the bike and trike are parked in the shop, it hangs on the handle bar so I don't forget it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I duct taped a spare key inside the passenger arm rest/pocket with the black Gorilla Tape so it blends in and can't be seen. That way I always have a spare with me just in case.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I haven't dropped a key down into the Black Hole of Calcutta but I have locked it in my trunk while getting my helment and gloves out to go home after our monthly meeting. My wife had to ride 25 miles home and then back to bring me the spare. I guarantee I wont do that again.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sounds like an excuse to take it apart. Clean and wax your way out.

Velcro............stick a key up in the top of one of the cubbies. You open the door and can't even see it in there.

Wal-mart can make the key for a $1.19...... get several................

·
Registered
803 Posts
Or you could put one on the outside of the left pocket. Would take nothing to get it and who would look there? Pop off the trim and 4 pins, pull the pocket and you're set to go. No tools needed. Well except for something to push in the pins.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a spare key stashed in ALL my jackets. Might be overkill but for a couple bucks apiece it is comforting.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Spare Key from Walmart; Blank # is an "access 27" or a "access 27R" the R means rubber head but for a spare I like the plane 27. Having a spare one in the wallet isn't a bad idea either.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I turn my bike upside down and shake it.:superman1:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts