GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made my key knob from the OEM radio knob and an Axcess 27 key. The key is long enough to lock the forks The upgrade...a 2" rubber washer that hides the printing around the key. A winger would know its a key, but maybe a hoodlum would miss it.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
key

Shooter, this key isn't supposed to be long enough to start the bike.
I leave my shortie key in the right hand fairing pocket key hole, this way i have instant access to the right hand fairing pocket, or can transfer it to the gas door when re-fueling. I bought my key at the honda hoot, lotsa guys have made theirs with a radio know and jb weld. JD

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Where did you order the black radio knobs???

I have been looking for these, but ended up using something different. I also like your setup,. but I wouldnt leave it in their if bike will be unattended.v When you made it with the 2" rubber washer, did you have to cut a hole in it, or does it knob fit inside of it? Kinda of curious here.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
GL03 said:
OK, you got my interest. What-where-how-who. Never heard of this?
Go to Walmart, but an Axxess #27 key blank. Go to a hardware store and buy a knob to your liking, or order one of the radio knob replacement knobs. Insert the key into the right fairing pocket, or the gas cap lock, mark it flush where the key goes into the slot. Then cut the key about 1/2
above your mark. Heat the key up, melt it into the bottom of the knob, re-enforce with JB weld, and there you have it. You can use it in the filler door, or the right fairing pocket, but it will be too short to put in the ignition.

Saves pulling the keys out of the ignition to gas up or get something out of the fairing pocket.

Not sure I'd be brave enough to leave one in the ignition!

Someone will post the link to Fred Harmon's site where there are more detailed instructions and picture... I don't have the link here with me

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
ddking said:
Didn't someone say that if you use #27R, it will work in the tank and fairing box, but it will not unlock the handlebars? If that's the case, I'd get #27R. But I'm not sure I read that post right.
I could be wrong, but I think the #27 works as a key, but cutting it short is what makes it unusable as an ignition key....

hmmmm, now I can't remember... lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted to be able to use the knob key in the ignition and to lock the fork. A knob is much easier to turn than a key when the GPS is on the RAM mount. I made a shorter knob key for the glove box and will make another for the gas tank. I used epoxy and an OEM radio knob. On the Valk and VTX I used the stock hand grip chrome end cap. You can't tell it's a key.

I leave the bike with the knob key in it quite often...heck I live in Indy...we grow corn we don't steal bikes. I always remove the key if I'm parking it for long durations or out of town.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Before you leave the key in the gas cap lock hole, think about what will be sliding across this area in the event of even a slight accident. :roll:

·
Registered
75 Posts
rottendog said:
Before you leave the key in the gas cap lock hole, think about what will be sliding across this area in the event of even a slight accident. :roll:
As I look at the GPS mounting ball... a slight accident and pawn shop comes to mind!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts