GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may remember... I've planned to ride down to Key West the past 2 winters, and both times I've had to cancel because of weather in the northeast the week during the I had off work, and logistics.

Well, I'm gonna try it again this winter... and since I now have my own trailer, the winter weather won't be a factor (unless they close the roads on me).

I'm still in the planning stages, but what I'm hoping to do is trailer the bike to the NC/SC, unload, and then ride the east coast all the way to Key West (leaving the Miami area on a Monday or Tuesday to avoid the weekend traffic thru the Keys)... stay there 2 days during the middle of the week (maybe 3 days)... then either take the ferry or back-track north to ride up the west coast of FL to the panhandle, and then just make a speed-run back to where I left the trailer.

I'm figuring on giving myself 3 or 4 days to take my time & ride from the Myrtle Beach area down US-17 & A1A through Charleston & Savannah, J'ville, Daytona, etc. down to the Lauderdale/Miami area... a day riding
US-1 down through the Keys... and then 2 days to ride up the FL west coast.

As for a time frame, right now I'm looking at spending Tuesday & Wednesday, Feb 7th & 8th in Key West... with the ride to and from centered around that.

For those of you who live down in that area... does that sound realistic? I want to take a nice, leisurely ride and not just speed down the east coast... but then again I don't wanna be bored either and end up in Lauderdale earlier than I'm planning.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and/or comments welcomed. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
As some of you may remember... I've planned to ride down to Key West the past 2 winters, and both times I've had to cancel because of weather in the northeast the week I had time of work & logistics.

Well, I'm gonna try it again this winter... and since I now have my own trailer, the winter weather won't be a factor (unless they close the roads on me).

I'm still in the planning stages, but what I'm hoping to do is trailer the bike to the NC/SC, unload, and then ride the east coast all the way to Key West (leaving the Miami area on a Monday or Tuesday to avoid the weekend traffic thru the Keys)... stay there 2 days during the middle of the week (maybe 3 days)... then either take the ferry or back-track north to ride up the west coast of FL to the panhandle, and then just make a speed-run back to where I left the trailer.

I'm figuring on giving myself 3 or 4 days to take my time & ride from the Myrtle Beach area down US-17 & A1A through Charleston & Savannah, J'ville, Daytona, etc. down to the Lauderdale/Miami area... a day riding
US-1 down through the Keys... and then 2 days to ride up the FL west coast.

As for a time frame, right now I'm looking at spending Tuesday & Wednesday, Feb 7th & 8th in Key West... with the ride to and from centered around that.

For those of you who live down in that area... does that sound realistic? I want to take a nice, leisurely ride and not just speed down the east coast... but then again I don't wanna be bored either and end up in Lauderdale earlier than I'm planning.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and/or comments welcomed. Thanks.
I'm envious, sounds great! I retire next June. If you decide to do that next year let me know.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
If you spend any time down in Key West, parking will be much easier without a trailer, you can pretty much find a spot to park a motorcycle anywhere, although there is at least one multi story parking lot in town.

Riding down the coastal highway (1/1A) will be a lot of stop and go, and Florida is a long State.

Once on the Keys, there's a few scenic spots where you can see the ocean and the gulf, take a little time to go of the main road to see more. Other than that, the main road is built up with houses, shops, etc, and where it's not built up, you pretty much have trees and grassy swamp either side of the road, so there's not much of a panoramic view.

Watch your speed on the Keys, each time I've been down there, I've seen Police Officers radar trapping, don't think they have that much to do down there.

Still it's a cool place.

·
Registered
863 Posts
once you hit daytona, get on 95 and head south. you've seen all the nice coast at that point. lot's of stop and goes...very low speedlimit in the keys. if you have a MILITARY ID CARD or a federal civil service employee, camping at key weast is $12 and a NICE room at $30. kitesurfing only at smathers beach in key west.

·
Registered
967 Posts
You're going to get real tired of A1A, unless you're really looking forward to that type of ride.

If you find you've got extra time coming or going, I'm sure you can meet up with a bunch of us Florida boys.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Key west ride!

It's a great ride. However once you get on hwy one it's very slow. That's a good thing because there are some (guestimate). 50 bridges and about that many keys! I went in 2009 and drove down the west side through alligator alley then got some pictures at the southern most marker and almost got a ticket For taking A picture of my bike and the southeastern most marker but when I explained to the officer that I had traveled 24 hours to get a picture of me my bike and that Bouy he politely said I'll be back in 20 minutes and that bike better be out of the street. Hope you get To finally ride and return home safely. I have ridden for over forty years and I saw more state police in September 2009 in Florida than all the other state troopers I've ever seen since I began ridding.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Definetely come back up the Keys and take US 41 (alligator Alley) across to Naples and the West Coast. If I were you I would take I95 all the way from Myrtle Beach and cut a day or more out of the trip down. Use the extra day going to Flamingo in the everglades and then Everglades City .

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Been there twice and I agree about I-95...A1A is slow stop and go. Florida State Troopers DO NOT like headlight modulaters either. Had 2 different ones hassle me on 2 different days and roads. Tried the SPILL about me showing them federal law on modualors BOTH immediately got upset and told me they ENFORCE STATE LAWS and what I could do with my piece of paper in so many words. Anyways they told me to turn it off or unhook it or get the ticket. Both were waiting farther down the rode. Look for the GREEN LIZARDS on the sides of the roads once on US1 awhile. Enjoy your ride. You going during FantasyFest?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
US 1 or A1A isn't too bad until you get down to Palm Beach then it is a nightmare. I 95 is just a few mile off to the west so you can get on and get around all the traffic when needed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Its a good ride

Got down there last year in Oct during Fantasy Fest. Check that out you may want to make the trip at that time. Lots of crazy stuff going on. I also had my pic at the marker and was warned about parking there. But I took my bike right up to the marker, didnt leave it in street..you will enjoy the ride there.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Charleston and Savannah are worth seeing on 17; may want to divert or overnight at St Simons - we live there part time and its a nice, non-resort, break. I'd go 17 to JAX, take the beltway to the east and then A1A to St Augustine to Daytona. Then 95 to Miami.

We're planning a similar trip; going up the west side of FL and the panhandle is a great idea.

Give me a shout we may be in SSI as you are passing thru and you would be welcome guests.

·
Administrator
4,427 Posts
Definetely come back up the Keys and take US 41 (alligator Alley) across to Naples and the West Coast. If I were you I would take I95 all the way from Myrtle Beach and cut a day or more out of the trip down. Use the extra day going to Flamingo in the everglades and then Everglades City .
+1 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If you're thinkin this way...

You could easily spend a day in Charleston and a day in Savannah with no problem. Probably could in St. Augustine, as well.

As was said above, US1 and A1A might drive you crazy with all the stop & go. Of course, the alternative is I95. Yuck.

If it were me, I'd spend time in those places (and maybe Jacksonville) and then make tracks to the keys down 95.

Also, not to scare you, but do you have a locked storage facility for the trailer when you drop it? Trailers are easily stolen and I know yours is virtually new. You don't just want to park your rig at a Park n Ride somewhere. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've gone ahead and made reservations at The Southernmost house for a couple days in the first week of Feb... and will plan the remainder of my trip down & back around that As to exactly how many days I'll have on each end depends on how our vacation/leave bidding goes in a few weeks.

Never been much of a camper, so I don't think I'll be doing any of that along the way. And as to parking & storage of my truck & trailer, I've got a few options there. I've got a few contacts where I can get short-term access to the secure parking areas at most airports... so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm somewhat familiar with the traffic down A1-A, as I've flown down to Lauderdale & rented a car a few times to hang out during Spring Training. As for Alligator Alley, I work with a few "Florida transplants" here that were telling me to skip it... which I why I mentioned the ferry option off of Key West. But as we discussed it more last night at work, they told me it was passenger service only... to which I replied, "Why did you even mention it then?" :shrug:

Oh well...

Thanks again... I can't really plan any other details until I find out what days I'll actually be able to get off, and that won't happen until late Sept. at the earliest.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You are correct about alligator alley (i95) across Florida. I meant to say the Tamiami Trail which is US 41. Alligator Alley does suck.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you take 1 & A1A down to Melbornethen take 192 west to 441 and go south to Belle Glade and get on 27 south to 997 down to Florida City and get back on US1 there it will save a lot of time, miss about 200 lights and Miami traffic plus it is a good scenic ride without much traffic. Hope you have a great trip, We are planning on going down there in March

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just thought I'd follow up on this thread from a few months ago...

We've finally gotten around to selecting our vacation days for next year at work... and, along with my regular days off, I managed to get 13 days in early February for my trip. :)

Because of my seniority status (read: the lack of...), I had to schedule things before President's Week & the main Spring Break season... and I didn't want to be down there during Bike Week. So I ended up with Feb 2nd - 13th.

The tentative plan is to load the bike (bikes? I may bring both!) in the trailer, and leave Long Island either after work on Wednesday, Feb 1st... or sometime on Tuesday the 2nd... and then unload somewhere in the Carolinas the following day.

The only set reservations I have are in Key West for Tuesday & Wednesday nights, Feb 7th & 8th... and I don't have to be back at work in NY until the following Tuesday, the 14th. Everything else on the schedule is wide open to do as I please. :thumbup:

Anybody else got plans to be down there during that time?

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Just thought I'd follow up on this thread from a few months ago...
Here are my favorite "secret" roads to Key West..
.. IMHO, some of the nicest riding roads that Florida has to offer
(that is, unless you want a further detour near Floral City),

This will avoid about 500 miles of "high rise" over development and the eight lane wide interstates and tolls every half mile.

This WILL take you WAY OFF the beaten path,
(don't let your fuel get below a quarter tank)
but if you want to see what Florida looked like back in the 50's and 60's
try this..
Back Roads to Key West

When you get to the Ocala Forest area, I'll ride with you for awhile if you like..
.. heck, if the weather is nice, I may even go all the way to the Keys..

If you go this route, at least you won't go back thinking
"why would anyone own a bike in Florida?"
:)

Dennis

·
Registered
863 Posts
I will be in key west for new years. I will be driving my truck with a tandem bicycle on the back, two kayaks on top, 3 kites and 2 kiteboards in the back as well as all the camping gear. camping a few blocks off duval street for $12 a night 10 feet off the water.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts