GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions to get a duplicate key for the GL1800?

I've asked my dealer, he said he can't help, try a hardware store or home center.

I've been to three hardware stores, they can't match it. :?:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Key Replacemnt

It's been said on the board that you could go to a Honda car dealer and they could match the key to the bike. Haven't tried it my self but just passing along what was posted.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Lowe's or Home Depot, Axxess brand replacement keys the blank that fits our 1800's is #27

·
Registered
264 Posts
Walmart has the Axxess #27 as well. The clerk may tell you it won't work, but tell them to cut it anyway, it works fine.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You are lucky your dealer won't do it. I had one made by a dealer here (I don't use this dealer any longer) and it cost me a fortune. I would think any key shop could cut you one for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1800 Key

Try going to you local locksmith. The blank that you will want to ask for is a Jet Key Blank X214 (HD103) blank is for Honda Accord. It must be a Jet Blank to have the right length on the keyway. I have cut many of these keys for $1.50 ea. Hardware stores are no susbsitute to have keys made correctly. Also keep the metal tag that came with you GL1800, if you loose your keys a good locksmith can look the code up and cut you a key.:D

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: 1800 Key

Alan Davido said:
Hardware stores are no susbsitute to have keys made correctly.
Huh? :?: I've never had a problem with a 97 cent hardware store key. And my 97 cent Home Depot key works just fine on my Wing.

R

·
0 Posts
key

Like the guys said WALLY WORLD I had 3 cut for $ 3.00 total and they work better than the orig on my 04.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The Axxess #27 will work all cylinders. The Axxess #27R(plastic handle) will work all cylinders if you lengthen the grooves. If you keep the #27R as is it will not work the fork lock. I keep one in the right pocket cylinder when on long trips for opening the pocket and fuel door. This key will also open the trunk so security is a consideration.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
thats some real good info about the 99 cent key.ill get a couple real soon.

when i got my wing from the dealer, they wanted $ 18 for a blank and then i would need to go somewhere and get it cut. reason number 34 that i hate honda dealers in my area.

loren

·
Registered
199 Posts
Obvious the US spec bike doesn't have HISS installed. In the EU spec bike there is a chip in the key which enables the ECM to start. Just a duplicate will never work in my bike.
(Just had the ECM replaced and got two new keys, the old ones just worked on trunk etc.)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tater wrote "The Axxess #27 will work all cylinders. The Axxess #27R(plastic handle) will work all cylinders if you lengthen the grooves. If you keep the #27R as is it will not work the fork lock. I keep one in the right pocket cylinder when on long trips for opening the pocket and fuel door. This key will also open the trunk so security is a consideration."

In reference to the Axxess #27R does anyone know if this blank (uncut key) will open the side pocket. I seem to recall seeing a link somewhere where a rider had built a knob over a portion of the key head and left it in the lock.

Don

·
Registered
200 Posts
Col. Bat Guano said:
In reference to the Axxess #27R does anyone know if this blank (uncut key) will open the side pocket.
I believe the #27R is long enough, but I'd be surprised if an uncut blank would work....

That was probably Fred Harmon's keyknob (see link below). If you cut off the head of the key, as Fred did, there's not much point in paying extra for a #27R.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/keyknob
Thanks for the reply. The Fred Harmon site was the one that I had seen. The cut key is clearly visible in his picture.

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts