GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My early suspicions of the new “no more keys” vehicle technology being a major step backwards in anti-theft controls have been confirmed. This is just a little more complicated than “get in, push start, drive away” in terms of needing a good bit of preparation with more technology, but 30 seconds to be able to drive away in “your new car” to take to your chop shop or garage and replace the fob module paired with a new fob. See link and “ring doorbell” video. At least the keyless entry fobs with key start could be set up with rotating codes that change with every button push, but how can the fob for keyless ignition do that when it has no trigger to change codes and a “hand shake” with the vehicle to trigger a change will not work because the captured fob signal on the “relay receiver” that enables the vehicle will also know when to switch and even what to switch to during the theft because the switch would happen during the theft. Now someone may think about RSA tokens that display a 6-digit number used for computer security and authentication and try to use that for code rotation. That is again, not good enough. That just means that the thief will be unable to use the captured fob code to start a second time or end up spending more time reading the codes as they time out and change. Frankly, that just means that once you drive away, you keep it running until you get to your chop shop; which will be what happens anyway.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/370359/t...ail&utm_campaign=whatsnewnow&utm_medium=title

OK, so a Model T is not quite as easy as get in, push start, and drive away. You have to move a switch to “run”, get out and quickly rotate an actual crank before you can drive away.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hacking the key fob security system has been occurring for at five years and not only with Tesla. The scary part is, prior to me retiring from LE four years ago, I was shown a video of a guy who had hacked a vehicle's entire control system. He could remotely access the throttle by wire, door locks, windshield wipers, you name it with no input from the driver.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My early suspicions of the new “no more keys” vehicle technology being a major step backwards in anti-theft controls have been confirmed. This is just a little more complicated than “get in, push start, drive away” in terms of needing a good bit of preparation with more technology, but 30 seconds to be able to drive away in “your new car” to take to your chop shop or garage and replace the fob module paired with a new fob. See link and “ring doorbell” video. At least the keyless entry fobs with key start could be set up with rotating codes that change with every button push, but how can the fob for keyless ignition do that when it has no trigger to change codes and a “hand shake” with the vehicle to trigger a change will not work because the captured fob signal on the “relay receiver” that enables the vehicle will also know when to switch and even what to switch to during the theft because the switch would happen during the theft. Now someone may think about RSA tokens that display a 6-digit number used for computer security and authentication and try to use that for code rotation. That is again, not good enough. That just means that the thief will be unable to use the captured fob code to start a second time or end up spending more time reading the codes as they time out and change. Frankly, that just means that once you drive away, you keep it running until you get to your chop shop; which will be what happens anyway.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/370359/t...ail&utm_campaign=whatsnewnow&utm_medium=title

OK, so a Model T is not quite as easy as get in, push start, and drive away. You have to move a switch to “run”, get out and quickly rotate an actual crank before you can drive away.

if they want it, theyll take it. harleys have probably been the most stolen bikes around. theyve had keys. use a disc lock if youre skeered.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The Sky is falling.......
It is what it is.......thieves have been stealing vehicles for years and it will never end regardless of technology.

If they want it bad enough they will get it one way or the other.
Use common sense and if it gets stolen that's what insurance is for.

As mentioned, the Goldwing Key-fob can be turned off.......use it.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I pay state farm to worry about it. If it gets stolen , waaa , I'll get anotherone.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
One good thing, cycle thieves generally do not want it unless it is a Harley. Its a 1%'r thing.

prs

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here is a bike without a FOB being stolen in under 10 seconds. It took the FOB guys 30...so logic dictates that the FOB is more secure. Thanks Honda!!

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Our key fobs have an off switch. Use it.
They will have already cloned it when you pulled up. My 1963 Triumph has keyless ignition, basically stomp an go. No one ever stole it but I see the new keyless ignitions being just as easy. For the life of me I cant see the purpose of it on a motorcycle. But the truth is that if someone wants your motorcycle, they will get it regardless of how its started.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Here is a bike without a FOB being stolen in under 10 seconds. It took the FOB guys 30...so logic dictates that the FOB is more secure. Thanks Honda!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxFZG9M7M4
Where in the video did it say that this bike didn't have a keyless fob? I couldn't tell from the video what model bike it was, but the Goldwing is not the only motorcycle with keyless fob, as well as some aftermarket kits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
One good thing, cycle thieves generally do not want it unless it is a Harley. Its a 1%'r thing.

prs

Some stats from 2016. HD is not at the top of the list. >:)
"Honda is the manufacturer with the most thefts (in 2016) at 9,052. Number two is Yamaha, followed by Suzuki in third, Kawasaki in fourth, and Harley-Davidson in fifth. Scooter maker TaoTao is behind H-D in sixth, KTM in seventh, and Ducati is in eighth. BMW motorcycles rank 11th."

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
"Honda is the manufacturer with the most thefts (in 2016) at 9,052. Number two is Yamaha, followed by Suzuki in third, Kawasaki in fourth, and Harley-Davidson in fifth. Scooter maker TaoTao is behind H-D in sixth, KTM in seventh, and Ducati is in eighth. BMW motorcycles rank 11th."

How many of those Honda's were Goldwings?

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
8,749 Posts

That gives me a warm fuzzy.:grin2:

·
Registered
420 Posts
If a newbie tries to steal a GW, his first turn, he will most likely dump it and then he will have to put the 900 pounds back upright, chances are he will just leave it on the street and walk away. Its not a crotch rocket at a couple hundred pounds...

·
Registered
795 Posts
This is an interesting topic, but irrelevant in the real world (that I live in.)

Question: How many thefts of keyless ignition (key fob) Gold Wings has anybody heard of? Anybody? Anybody?

Related motorcycle theft story: A good friend of mine owns a liquid-cooled BMW R1200GS. He's a cheapskate and when his annual motorcycle insurance renewal came up, he asked his insurance broker how much he'd save by cancelling the theft portion of his insurance. The agent said he'd save a nominal sum, something like $30 or $40 dollars per year. When my friend remarked how little the saving was for cancelling his theft insurance, the agent replied, "Nobody steals BMW motorcycles."

At least that's the case where I live in Alberta, Canada. Some time ago I was at a bar with a friend who restored motorcycles. Peter was riding a perfectly restored, goregeous fire engine red 1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans Mk I. He left the key in the ignition when he dismounted, and I pointed that out. He said, "Nobody's gloing to steal a Moto Guzzi. What thieves want are Japanese sportbikes." He left the key in the ignition while we were in the bar. And yes, it was still there when we returned.

Please feel free to continue discussing . . .

Tim

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
45-years riding motorcycles.......

Never used the steering lock, never cable locked and never locked the front wheel.
Never a theft problem......ever.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts