GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the kill switch is made should the engine turn over but not start If it does turn over do I have a defective switch.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Kill switch does not allow the engine to turn over.

If you want to crank the engine without starting, hold the throttle wide open. Engine will crank and not start.
This is a good way to check condition with voltmeter. I also do this after an oil change to bring the oil pressure up without the engine starting.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
yes turning over but not firing
Ok, leave the sidestand down, in neutral, and crank it for more than 10 seconds to see if it will flash a malfunction code with the FI light. Count the flashes, long=10, short=1. If you wait it will repeat.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I'm guessing error code 19 - crankshaft position sensor. (Been there recently, done that.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK the bike is on the centre stand, I put the side stand down, cranked bike for 10secs and it started. im confused ive been trying for 2 days to start bike. what did i just do.

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
ok the bike is on the centre stand, i put the side stand down, cranked bike for 10secs and it started. Im confused ive been trying for 2 days to start bike. What did i just do.
wonder if bank sensor loose / out of position. Its a tip over kill switch on rite side . Once it started is all good . ? Can take off centerstand ?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
OK the bike is on the centre stand, I put the side stand down, cranked bike for 10secs and it started. im confused ive been trying for 2 days to start bike. what did i just do.
The bike won't start with the side stand down. Don't ask how many time i have inadvertently tried. Lol.

·
Vendor
17,794 Posts
The bike won't start with the side stand down. Don't ask how many time i have inadvertently tried. Lol.
Under these conditions, a 5th gen should crank over and start:
- in neutral ('N' light on)
- kill switch in run position
- not in reverse ('R' light not lit)
- side stand down ('S' light on)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That is true, I forgot to mention that if it is in gear it will not start with the side stand down. You can't imagine how many time I start the bike, get on, raise it off the center stand and put it into gear and curse my ignorance for forgetting to put up the side stand. :grin2::grin2:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
And if everything is working correctly and it’s in neutral, the side stand position will make no difference. The side stand position only comes into affect if it’s in gear.

This bike suddenly starting because the side stand was moved to the down position may have a strange malfunction of the reverse regulator assembly, especially if it won’t start with it up.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
And if everything is working correctly and it’s in neutral, the side stand position will make no difference. The side stand position only comes into affect if it’s in gear.

This bike suddenly starting because the side stand was moved to the down position may have a strange malfunction of the reverse regulator assembly, especially if it won’t start with it up.
When the reverse regulator on mine went bad it would crank in gear with the side stand down.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
When the reverse regulator on mine went bad it would crank in gear with the side stand down.
Yep, it only takes one shorted diode in the right circuit and you can get really weird symptoms. It’s a shame that Honda didn’t locate this thing under the seat where it would be easy to troubleshoot and replace if necessary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts