GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not able to get to the bike yet but I have a possible problem I'll need to address and would like input...

My kill switch is a bit flaky on 2003, the problem is that I don't have to move the switch into the different positions in order to shut the bike down (although I never use the switch), if I simply tap the top of the switch it will shut the bike down, it has always started right back up but I think I'm pressing my luck.

so... is this something that can be torn down and cleaned or does the whole unit need to be replaced? I see on bikebandit.com OEM site that the unit cost 130 bucks but it does not show it in pieces which I would assume there's no serviceable parts... and I right in thinking this???

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Try turning the switch back and forth repeatedly and see if the takes care of the issue. Honda switches that go unused tend to go bad. Mine was replaced twice under warranty

·
Registered
654 Posts
not able to get to the bike yet but I have a possible problem I'll need to address and would like input...

My kill switch is a bit flaky on 2003, the problem is that I don't have to move the switch into the different positions in order to shut the bike down (although I never use the switch), if I simply tap the top of the switch it will shut the bike down, it has always started right back up but I think I'm pressing my luck.

so... is this something that can be torn down and cleaned or does the whole unit need to be replaced? I see on bikebandit.com OEM site that the unit cost 130 bucks but it does not show it in pieces which I would assume there's no serviceable parts... and I right in thinking this???
You can open the switch housing and clean it up. Just takes a bit of patience the first time.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Excellent info posted above. But as was mentioned, try the easy route first and "wipe" the contacts. With the key off, rotate the kill switch back and forth about 30-40 times. Causes a wiping action across the switch contacts that helps clean off the oxidation and restore operation. Definitely worth trying before the hassle of taking it apart to burnish the contacts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just fixed mine after a couple of scares last summer. Bought the repair kit and it was a pretty easy rebuild of the switch. Only a couple of bucks!

Sent from my iPad

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
It's definitely a safety issue, If your bike was included in the recall Honda most likely would still fix it even though the warranty expired :thumbup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just fixed mine after a couple of scares last summer. Bought the repair kit and it was a pretty easy rebuild of the switch. Only a couple of bucks!

Sent from my iPad
I truly appreciate the feed back from you all, I'm see the recall came out for 2001 year models and of course my vin number is not listed on this recall notice. I wonder why they would use the same switch for later years... but that's besides the point as long as they have a kit I can get my hands on. I will try as suggested and work the switch in a attempt to clean it but would rather have the part quickly available just in case

Is this kit some thing that I have to get from my local shyster dealer or can I get this on line?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts