GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding today my '02 Goldwing just died...after a few moments trying to figure out what happened, I discovered an apparent short in the kill switch...it didn't make a difference if I switched it up or down, however if I pressed straight down on the switch the bike would start and run, as soon as I released the pressure it would die...luckily I had some electrical tape with me and taped it down until I could get home...anyone else ever have this problem...is kill switch difficult to replace? Any help would be appreciated.

Randy T.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin, from the link you posted, looks like a trip to the dealer for me...I'm usually pretty handy with repairs, but looks like a lot of small parts and I don't see as well as I used to.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kevin, from the link you posted, looks like a trip to the dealer for me...I'm usually pretty handy with repairs, but looks like a lot of small parts and I don't see as well as I used to.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Put a jumper wire around it. What do you need a kill switch for?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just repaired mine for the same reason. The parts are available from the dealer for about $5. Mine is also an '02 but they would not repair it under the recall so I did it myself.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
jniles said:
In case you have a stuck throttle.
In that case, I'd use the key to shut the engine down. Kill switches are a throw back to when motorcycles had keys/on-off switches in inaccessible places.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Wing kills are WAY too easy to accidentally bump. Mine no longer works either (by design).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did have a stuck throttle - actually my cruise control would not shut off and was accelerating the bike (about 90 mph). I pulled in the clutch and used the key to turn the bike off. It was easy and smooth with no difficulties.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think they are called a kill switch for a reason. If they malfunction while passing a truck, or leaned over in a curve, they will kill you!

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Ed Siemers said:
I think they are called a kill switch for a reason. If they malfunction while passing a truck, or leaned over in a curve, they will kill you!
My wing man Dave likes to "shoot" at us with the kill switch on his 1500. Quick off then on makes for a heckuva backfire. I had not tried this on the 1800 and wonder if it will work with FI and all..... You try it, I can't for reason given.

B

·
0 Posts
The most important funtion of the Kill switch
- is that you can turn it off on a friend's (or anybody's) bike when they are not looking. And then watch :lol: as they try to start their bike.

DAMHIK. :oops:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Waldo said:
Ed Siemers said:
My wing man Dave likes to "shoot" at us with the kill switch on his 1500. Quick off then on makes for a heckuva backfire. I had not tried this on the 1800 and wonder if it will work with FI and all..... You try it, I can't for reason given.
I did it in my Piper Cherokee once........scared the hell out of me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts